• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would buy a Diesel

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Wud love an XKR!!, bit more expensive than me diesel tho!

Oh yes ! We saw one in Elgin about 3 weeks ago and my kids said, thats like our car (XF) ....I said nope, thats the car we get when you have both left home :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Crack on and safe driving..................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Dont drive round in that silver bodykitted XF by any chance do you?

G

grumpyoldb

............... and to buy veg oil new from the supermarket is near as damnit as expensive as buying actual diesel...(£4 for a 3 litre bottle of tesco own brand stuff)

That's the reason why veg oil is so expensive in the shops!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
True and your supposed to fill out a inland rev form if you use it as fuel so you can pay the correct tax! yeah right..... lol

Only if your using an extreme amount. I used to convert the old chip fat into Bio but that was a couple of years ago. AFAICR it was in the region of 25000 litres per annum.

If you aqquire the oil for free, methanol at £110 for 205 litres and the other various chemicals then your looking at about 14p per litre for a fuel which has a better lubricity and a higher MON rating than commercial diesel. ROI is quite good for the average 10000mile per annum commuter as well.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

No mate, Black one......don't think I've seen a bodykitted one around...look any good ?

yeah, its got a front splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser and a little boot spoiler, had big 19's on it too. looked smart.

topstop

Corporal
I got a 51 plate Golf 130PD...Love it to bits 125k and goes like a steam train....Just drove back from Southampton 55MPG at 80MPH.
I will be very sad to see it go, but that day will come, but not for a few years yet. (I Hope).

SCJ

Got a Skoda Fabia VRS,SE same engine, slightly smaller and lighter. V nice, a keeper.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I've got a little 1.5DCi clio the really slow 63 Bhp one, I made the decision after the impreza was burning £100 a week in super unleaded. And the running costs for 25,000 miles per year would of been horrific. 2 services @ £120, a set of tires £500, a set of pads every 18months at £160. The clio burns around £45 - £55 a week in diesel. And recommended service intervals for non short running is 18,000 miles and everything else is less than half the cost. I calculated I would save more than what it cost me to buy if a ran it for 3 years. Plus it only costs £30 a year to tax. I don't need to anything that quick as once you as the commute from virtually France back to where I live is motorway dual carriage way virtually all the way, so once up to speed it doesn't matter so much. But 65mpg in the summer and 60 mpg in the winter is not to be sniffed at @ 70. But If I end up near home on next posting, it will be going and I'll be back to using the Impreza all the time. Fortunatly I refuse to fill my garage full of junk so the Impreza is stored in there out of the elements so not using it so much is not really a detriment.

sp4rks

SAC
It seems that most posts here are concerned about pollution and fuel economy which seem to be the classic reason sensible folk turn to diesel cars whilst the boy racer youth prefer petrol..... well no longer is this the case with modern diesels. I know this because I am a young 'boy racer' and I chose to buy a brand new car. I really wanted something german but after looking around for a long time I decided to go swedish believe it or not. I wanted a good looking powerful car that was cheap to buy, run and insure. This led me to a brand spankin 4 wheel drive SAAB 93 sport saloon Aero 1.9TTiD(thats twin/bi turbo) with the inhouse factory 'Hirsch Performance' tuning upgrade. Im 24 and it only costs £275 a year to insure fully comp! It was cheaper to buy than the Germans, cheaper to tax cause of the low carbs and most importantly far more powerful than any other similar sized diesels on the marked. 200bhp and 430Nm torque and I think 7.9s 0-60mph is pretty good for a big car with a little diesel engine! but its the motorway 50-90mph acceleration time that truly astonishes, nothing else in the same class will keep up! Linky Plus it seems to average around 65mpg and I have a lead right foot!

View attachment 11494
This is what I bought!

So Diesels are better than petrols (unless its somethin like a ferrari obviously!) and thats coming from a boy racer!

Who are you insured with, i got a quote for a 9-3 vert the other day (2001) and they wanted £600 (36 Y/O with 14 Years no claims and no points), but i'm holding off at the mo as i now have another little munchkin on the way. I do like the TTiD,s especially in Aero format, might have to take a look at this from your perspective, but otherwise happy with my 1.8 petrol Honda Accord (2000) at the mo, 43 MPG on the motorway and totally trouble free, except for the locking wheel nuts which just snapped when trying to replace them with McGard jobbers.

Craig855s

Sergeant
It seems that most posts here are concerned about pollution and fuel economy which seem to be the classic reason sensible folk turn to diesel cars whilst the boy racer youth prefer petrol..... well no longer is this the case with modern diesels. I know this because I am a young 'boy racer' and I chose to buy a brand new car. I really wanted something german but after looking around for a long time I decided to go swedish believe it or not. I wanted a good looking powerful car that was cheap to buy, run and insure. This led me to a brand spankin 4 wheel drive SAAB 93 sport saloon Aero 1.9TTiD(thats twin/bi turbo) with the inhouse factory 'Hirsch Performance' tuning upgrade. Im 24 and it only costs £275 a year to insure fully comp! It was cheaper to buy than the Germans, cheaper to tax cause of the low carbs and most importantly far more powerful than any other similar sized diesels on the marked. 200bhp and 430Nm torque and I think 7.9s 0-60mph is pretty good for a big car with a little diesel engine! but its the motorway 50-90mph acceleration time that truly astonishes, nothing else in the same class will keep up! Linky Plus it seems to average around 65mpg and I have a lead right foot!

View attachment 11494
This is what I bought!

So Diesels are better than petrols (unless its somethin like a ferrari obviously!) and thats coming from a boy racer!

Awesome car, these tuned ones pretty rare? Much chance of me finding a used one?

unruly1986

Sergeant
There are some decent diesels about: -

330d
123d

Both very quick and return good mpg. I'm on the lookout for a 123d at the mo - 7s 0-60 and 45+mpg.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Who are you insured with, i got a quote for a 9-3 vert the other day (2001) and they wanted £600 (36 Y/O with 14 Years no claims and no points), but i'm holding off at the mo as i now have another little munchkin on the way. I do like the TTiD,s especially in Aero format, might have to take a look at this from your perspective, but otherwise happy with my 1.8 petrol Honda Accord (2000) at the mo, 43 MPG on the motorway and totally trouble free, except for the locking wheel nuts which just snapped when trying to replace them with McGard jobbers.

Tesco, fully comp, 7 years no claims, kept in a garage in crime free north scotland. Verts are more expensive to buy, keep and insure! avoid the old 2.2TiD engine at all costs, terrible engine with less power(its only 8v), the newer 1.9Tids are more powerfull and cheaper to run/insure.

Awesome car, these tuned ones pretty rare? Much chance of me finding a used one?

No, they are quite common infact, you can also get a second hand one tuned by saab themselves if you want. 1.9TTiD is the best of the diesel engines saab offers, go for it!

Jaydubwa

LAC
Not being technically minded so I am looking for advice on my diesel VW Bora 1.9 tdi Se130. My circumstances have changed, I've retired since I bought it 5 years ago. All I do most of the time is a daily run to the woods for dog walking purposes - a round trip of 5 miles. Reading previous posts it looks like this is not good for it but I can't afford to change it at the moment. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (Walking to the woods is NOT an option). I do about 6,000 miles a year and get it serviced once per year.

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Not being technically minded so I am looking for advice on my diesel VW Bora 1.9 tdi Se130. My circumstances have changed, I've retired since I bought it 5 years ago. All I do most of the time is a daily run to the woods for dog walking purposes - a round trip of 5 miles. Reading previous posts it looks like this is not good for it but I can't afford to change it at the moment. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (Walking to the woods is NOT an option). I do about 6,000 miles a year and get it serviced once per year.

what age and mileage is it?

Jaydubwa

LAC
Sorry should have added that - it's 2003 03 and when I got it it had 100,000 on clock and I've added another 30K making just over 130K. Thanks

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Sorry should have added that - it's 2003 03 and when I got it it had 100,000 on clock and I've added another 30K making just over 130K. Thanks

Your correct that short distance cold running a diesel is bad for the engine.

You would probably only get around £2k for that but it may be worth trading it in for a similar value used small engined petrol car such as a 1.2 clio or similar for example without really having to spend anything. It would be cheaper to fuel, insure and run and if you did p/x at a main dealer you may even end up getting a used car warranty for a couple of years. it would also probably have less than 50k on the clock for that sort of money. Depends on whether you need a big saloon really.