• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has the most medals?

Who has the most medals?

• Total voters
F

Fablon biff chit

Question for airforceone, kerrang, pueblos, Silverback, and skevans

What have you been doing to get more medals than the most militant yank!?:pDT_Xtremez_28:

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
got 4:
General Service Medal 1962 with 2 clasps (Air Operations Iraq sat in desert for 60 days)(Northern Ireland sat in NI for 28 days)
Accumalate Campaign Service Medal (sat in Ireland for 1081 days)
Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal (Nice freebie for not being a smalley)
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (Never got caught or got away with it if i did).

trouble is it costs a fortune to buy and mount minatures to wear in "Old Folks Home) :pDT_Xtremez_21:

Managed 4 in 14 years - not bad for a Shiny!

UNPROFOR - Sarajevo in 1995 (Fact Hunter - when were you there?)

Aug-Dec 95 : Started out in UNPROFOR HQ in Zagreb chatting with a very nice Czech General in an equally nice hotel there.

Moved shortly afterwards though, down to DJ (Divulje Barracks) after witnessing a drunken topless Croatian come into the hotel foyer and shoot the currency board off the wall in reception with a pistol. Bizarrely enough, the most significant sound after that was all the soup spoons hitting the fine porcelain of all the staff officers 'enjoying' their first course!

I was then expelled from DJ for 03 days (back to UK) by an overzealous Sqn Ldr who intercepted me before I could reach the Army COS office (who was expecting me) at the end of the corridor - just 20 feet away !

I was literally and immediately driven by this Sqn Ldr to the airhead, placed on an aircraft home, where I then saw my Wg Cdr to give him a copy of the signal accusing me of being a 'professional adventurer'

I returned directly back to theatre with another signal copy 'suggesting' a possible typing error - 'I'm sure you meant adventurous professional' - to 'clip him round the ear with' - Hah!

It was then down to Ploce for a month, fortunately however, secured digs at Dole Camp. Our 'other mission' (sanctioned by the boss) was to rob most things that were'nt 'bolted down' during the Army re-role into their new Co-Ri-Mecs. We would need them for the next bit!

Now off up 'Up Country' to Sarajevo, or more specifically, the mountains of Mt Igman and Blesanijca for 3 months. That was before the Dayton Peace accord 'divvied up' Bosnia & so now the French waded in to 'their sector' and took over all 'our' hard work !

Nov 95 now, so back off down the mountain to the warehouse whose name that I can't remember, but housed the EFI (it was at the back/top of Split). Had seen a few surreal events up to press but now I was watching the NAAFI manager smashing up a dozen televisions with a club hammer - they were all 'returns' that he could'nt get home apparently??

Finished off back at DJ in Dec but no accom available, had to live in Trogir in that wierd shape hotel there. Sounds nice ? - it was full of refugees in a pretty bad off state !

Dec 20th - Back home for tea, (UNPROFOR) medals and Xmas, then back out again !

But thats another (NATO) story - hope that answered the Q though?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Aug-Dec 95 : Started out in UNPROFOR HQ in Zagreb chatting with a very nice Czech General in an equally nice hotel there.

Moved shortly afterwards though, down to DJ (Divulje Barracks) after witnessing a drunken topless Croatian come into the hotel foyer and shoot the currency board off the wall in reception with a pistol. Bizarrely enough, the most significant sound after that was all the soup spoons hitting the fine porcelain of all the staff officers 'enjoying' their first course!

I was then expelled from DJ for 03 days (back to UK) by an overzealous Sqn Ldr who intercepted me before I could reach the Army COS office (who was expecting me) at the end of the corridor - just 20 feet away !

I was literally and immediately driven by this Sqn Ldr to the airhead, placed on an aircraft home, where I then saw my Wg Cdr to give him a copy of the signal accusing me of being a 'professional adventurer'

I returned directly back to theatre with another signal copy 'suggesting' a possible typing error - 'I'm sure you meant adventurous professional' - to 'clip him round the ear with' - Hah!

It was then down to Ploce for a month, fortunately however, secured digs at Dole Camp. Our 'other mission' (sanctioned by the boss) was to rob most things that were'nt 'bolted down' during the Army re-role into their new Co-Ri-Mecs. We would need them for the next bit!

Now off up 'Up Country' to Sarajevo, or more specifically, the mountains of Mt Igman and Blesanijca for 3 months. That was before the Dayton Peace accord 'divvied up' Bosnia & so now the French waded in to 'their sector' and took over all 'our' hard work !

Nov 95 now, so back off down the mountain to the warehouse whose name that I can't remember, but housed the EFI (it was at the back/top of Split). Had seen a few surreal events up to press but now I was watching the NAAFI manager smashing up a dozen televisions with a club hammer - they were all 'returns' that he could'nt get home apparently??

Finished off back at DJ in Dec but no accom available, had to live in Trogir in that wierd shape hotel there. Sounds nice ? - it was full of refugees in a pretty bad off state !

Dec 20th - Back home for tea, (UNPROFOR) medals and Xmas, then back out again !

But thats another (NATO) story - hope that answered the Q though?

I was in the Residency at the time (Aug - Dec 95) in G3 Ops. Was down for a 6 monther, but because some b ugger ended the war, I flew back 23 Dec 95.

Easily the best det I've ever done. Our paths proabably crossed at one point!

I

ICATQ

About to get my 8th and I have another I cant wear, in 22 years service.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

M

Maxmeister

Managed 4 in 14 years - not bad for a Shiny!

LSGCM is a bit ropey (got caught out as a LAC - not sure if I'll get it)

LSGCM is now given after 15 years undetected crime from your last offence.

I have GSM Air ops Iraq after 9 years service. missed out on queens jubilee by 6 months

TrickyTree

Sergeant
LSGCM is now given after 15 years undetected crime from your last offence.
I think there are still some offences though which if you're convicted of will mean that you won't get it.

Certainly I know of one WO who has been told "never", not as long as he's got a hole in his ar*e. Strange, because he's not "undecorated", as it were, he's got quite a few gongs. Just not that one.

Last edited:
I

ICATQ

I think there are still some offences though which if you're convicted of will mean that you won't get it.

Certainly I know of one WO who has been told "never", not as long as he's got a hole in his ar*e. Strange, because he's not "undecorated", as it were, he's got quite a few gongs. Just not that one.

Two colleagues in a very similiar position have recently contested the non award after 15 years service from last offence. They have both been told NO!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Two colleagues in a very similiar position have recently contested the non award after 15 years service from last offence. They have both been told NO!

There are still some things that get you permanently debarred from the award of the Long Gong, generally they are civvy offences like theft, but can include things like a formal warning for social misconduct (sh@gging the Stn Cdr's daughter).

N

Nutty Bird

My bloke, RAF, served 19 years has 7! fcuk knows what they're for! i know one was iraq, that's where i met him! He should have 8! the 8th one for putting up with me for so long, love him!!!!!

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
2 in 10 years
GSM(NI) for sitting on my fat techie wallet
NATO(FmrYug) for eating pizzas and guzzling red wine
Missed out on HM Jubilee as I left in 2001, wonder if I should apply for it anyway?

As an aside I saw a "veteran" at at Remberance Parade wearing a VC, found out later through the media it was a false one, some bobby made enquiries.

N

NotAnIDOYet

Chocolate Jubilee one and an outside chance that after 17 years they may let me have my Long Gong, quote from the nice lady in the Medals Office "Ooh, you have been a naughty boy, haven't you!!"

F

Fablon biff chit

There is a certain snec on TSW with 13 gongs! Bet he leans to one side with No 1's on....

R

Rebel without A Clue

I have 3 - Choccy medal, AOps Iraq and Telic.

TT - I also knew of a LSGC-less WO, who I used to work for at STC. He had never been anywhere in his time so his No 1s/Mess Kit were completely empty, which he said drew an awful lot of stares, as you can imagine! He just used to say "the LS was never the problem" wink and smile before walking away whenever the subject was brought up.

S

Seymour Tw@tt

It's a bag of sh!t. I've seen guys with serious offences get their LS&GCM, but others with lesser charges get consistently turned down. At the end of the day it all boils down to who and how your charge was reported, and how much ass you've licked.

:pDT_Xtremez_21:

Does it matter how many bits of tin you've got anyway? The Gwar Prince will top the lot when he leaves as a Brigadier with more gongs than braincells... even though he hasn't been anywhere...

:pDT_Xtremez_17:

N

Nutty Bird

It's a bag of sh!t. I've seen guys with serious offences get their LS&GCM, but others with lesser charges get consistently turned down. At the end of the day it all boils down to who and how your charge was reported, and how much ass you've licked.

it depends on what you got 'done' for. some things you instantly lose your long gong, gbh, fraud, etc etc. other things are frowned upon but bizarely aren't a big enough marker to lose that all important 15 year medal!

hope that helps x

S

Seymour Tw@tt

it depends on what you got 'done' for. some things you instantly lose your long gong, gbh, fraud, etc etc. other things are frowned upon but bizarely aren't a big enough marker to lose that all important 15 year medal!

hope that helps x

It does rely to a certain degree on how your charge is written - I know of people with serious charges who had them written by the boss in such a way so they wouldn't lose their LS&GCM.... and others for whom it went the other way....

:pDT_Xtremez_32:

Mighty_Wokka

Corporal
I've got six up till now, seven if you count the NATO one from Afghan (but we cant wear that one). If theres something going on rest assured a Wokkas not far away!