• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What inspired you to join the Royal Air Force?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
My Granddad was in in the Army in WWII and he was part of Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships (DEMS), Part of many convoys and a chance (well WWII Happened really) meeting with a downed RAF Pilot (both from Selby), convinced him he had joined the wrong MOB when WWII happened. He did try and go across to the RAF, but as you can gather a lot of applications got lost!!!!!!!!! during the war. Never the less he survived being torpedo'd and did a run to Russian on the Artic Convoy. and when I expressed an interest to join the Para's, my Granddad almost frogmarched me to the RAF CIO, and told me not to join any other mob expect the boys in blue (his words). here I am 31 years later.

stereolab

Station Cashier
Left school at 16 as a job in a local bank became available. Got bored after 2 years, was starting to drink heavily and saw an RAF advert in newspaper, popped up to Inverness and made enquiries. Passed all the tests for my chosen field, the original one trick pony in accounts. Did 24 years, most of them dry, spent 6 in NI and 6 in BAOR. SNCO pension arrives monthly and I am most grateful.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
No family in the military, just saw this as a way out of the shit hole i was living in and a future working in factories.

Joined the army (lol) as they could get me away the quickest and lasted 4 years before i saw the light and joined the blue suits.

Will never forget:

• Going on a RAF base to their Med centre

• Stagging on in Aldershot and having a red 2 seater sports car pitch up, bloke driving, fit bird next to him.

"What's a Flt Lt?" says I.

"I'm a Flight Lieutenant, in the Royal Air Force" as he sped off leaving a trail of dust and no doubt was balls deep while i was eating my rat pack sausage roll (mind you, thinking about it now, he was an officer, so either a 2 pump chump, or she was pegging him).

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mixed reasons Grandad WW1 and 2 uncles WW2 had been barmy Army but TB Snr was ex RAF as was the possible future father in law so being in the services was not unusual in the family. Jobs up north were not secure, there was a labour government back then, so the thought of a steady salary on long term (9 year) fixed contract sounded good and the uniform impressed the then girl friend. I already had my ONC and was time served so the transition to RAF engineering was not difficult. Almost to a man I was warned off the Army as being far to left/right left/right shouty and illogical. The 9 year contract was extended to 22 and now the pension is a nice monthly reminder of years served. Job Security for me

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Thatcher shut the pits. I should be down there with the black lung and down the club every night drinking mild.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
A complete lack of jobs in Thatcher's Britain in the mid-80s. I was halfway down the recruitment phase for the police when they upped the minimum age from 18 to 21. Joining the RAF was supposed to be a stop-gap. It was, but it was a 28 year one!

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Some mates joined the RAF and I was was dazzled by their travels around the world, that got my interest.

Visited Bournemouth CIO, looked through the glossy brochures and there was one with a Harrier get it's wings lifted, in a field at sun set, right there and then I knew I wanted to do that, so a Rigger I became.

Fast forward 3 years, I am now in a German field, lifting the wings from a Harrier, during the evening, that was the point I questioned my decision.....

To be honest, best decision I made, gave me a varied 22 year career and a pension, which I knew nothing about when I joined

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Left school at 17 to work and bring money in as the folks were not particularly affluant. Dad was ex-RAF (Airframes) with a few years under his belt on Phantoms and the Mk.1 Lightning and he regularly entertained me with his tales of drinking in RAFG.

Went to college at 18 to do Electrical Engineering, no doubt destined for the Oil Rigs, or worse, mind numbing factory work in and around Morayshire. I soon realised that I could do the same learning and get paid for it as well as the swanning off around the world to getting pissed bit.

Fast forward 22yrs and (although not my first choice as I was aiming for CAMO roles but ya know....Covid etc) I'm happily doing my bit for the boys and girls on the Front Line by procuring the best kit possible for them.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
My own laziness cost me any meaningful O levels and the chance of A levels so, at 16, a job had to be found - preferably one with security & future prospects. I had some interest in IT (it was called computers in the 70's) and i had been to many Navy Days in Portsmouth as well a couple of air shows. Both the RN or the RAF appeared to offer some engagement with 'new' technology and the prospects of excitement, education and job security - the RAF looked the marginally better option (less chance of drowning...) so an information pack was sent for. I started the process around October & by the end of the following March i was an AC2 in training....

Like others on here, 23 years service was achieved, there was excitement at times, i picked up some GCSEs & A levels amongst other qualifications and in that 23 years was never in any real danger of redundancy or other 'unplanned' discharge. So I guess I got what the 16 year old me had been looking for.

Along the way I also had some times of boredom, some 'bottom twitching' times (confronting some 'gentlemen' from Hereford during a Taceval at age 17), worrying times (Gutersloh when the RW force was heading off to GW 1) and lots of fun but overall I had a good career which I don't regret and it set me up for a further >20 years as a CS doing more 'computery' stuff that I enjoy (+ more quals + reasonable security) but less of the excitement & downsides.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I got a bug for aeroplanes when building airfix models and seeing how those bits fitted together. Then my friends dad took us to an airshow at Halfpenny Green.
I joined the Spacies and as well as doing Theory of Flight I read a book on helicopter Theory of Flight too. During the last years of school I went for apprenticeship exams at BEA, BOAC and British Caledonian - I flunked them all. So I went to the RAF and was deemed suitable for entry as an Appo! However, it seems I enjoyed my last year at school a little too much and despite getting 9 CSEs, I failed to get enough GCE O Levels.
Still, with the opportunity to work on jet aircraft, I joined as an airframe mech in 1975 on a 9+3 engagement. For me, it was always about the trade, not the job. It did me well for 24 years...so the Job got to me in the end.
PS - that was nearly 22 years ago.

Last edited:

6A1

SAC
NE Aberdeenshire early 60's, 3 choices: farming, fishing or factory.
Followed WW2 in books and got enthralled in the RAF plus Biggles and Airfix kits. Applied to Aberdeen CIO, passed the entrance exams for aircraft apprentice , then got sent to Cardington in Dec 62, just as the big freeze was beginning, 25 hours by train. Culture shock as nobody spoke the same language as me but I made it and 3 years later passed out as an Electrical Fitter(Air) and posted to 30MU Sealand - a factory! Took me 3 years to escape and become a line swine and from there no looking back. Both my civvy jobs were who you know, manager of one was a cpl in the other side of elect workshops at Sealand and my next was ex 73rd entry sooty chief and it was a purely social interview, do you drink, like curry? jobs' yours!

stormwell

LAC
Trying to join, so hope that counts.

Grandfather was an aircraft mechanic when WW2 broke out, though was a civvie and thus counted as being in a reserved occupation but got attached to the RAF regardless. He got called up for National Service in the '50s and went RAF, but got discharged on medical grounds at the reception centre.

Had an uncle who had a more successful career with the RAF. Served as non-commissioned on Shackletons and Nimrods before getting a commission and then serving as an AEO on the Vulcans and later Victors. Took part in Op Black Buck (primary crew for the first raid), later the Victor tankers in the First Gulf. Was part of the RAF's Vulcan Display Flight and later got involved with the Vulcan to the Sky Trust.

In high school I'd gotten the idea in my head to join the military and joined my local Army Cadets Detachment (air cadets I was vaguely aware of and lacked the means to get to the local unit). Flirted with joining the army, though a mate in the TA who'd done tours of Afghanistan said I'd be better off joining the RAF. Tried joining in 2008 and 2010, managing to get far as Pre-RTC both times before having medical and later fitness issues at the last minute.

Fast forward 10 years I have a wife who's a RAF brat and after finding out they've upped the recruitment age from 29 I've decided to give it another try. Interview aced, but need to work on fitness.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Old man RAF, old dear RAF, sister RAF, brother RAF, brother RN...sod that, me farm labourer...so also went RAF. Left after 14 for civpol and retired on full pension at 50.. ten yrs ago..

Keef

LAC
Family was RAF, Loved everthing aviation as a kid, Joined Space Cadets and never looked back.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Dad did 17 years RAF plus 3 brothers in the RA. Spent early years up till around 11 years old traveling about with the family. Left school did a few years at British Steel then the massive strike of 79/80 so decided I needed to get away. Brothers said if you join the Army we will claim you into the RA, must have had a memory lose and went next door. Them 28 years flew past and the monthly pension is a bonus. Keeping it in the family as daughter is married to WO on a deckchair tour in Aki.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Lack of effort at grammar school meant I got 3 o levels! They had a CCF so, I joined the RAF section as I was interested in aviation, made model planes etc!
After school,ended up in a factory making stuff for motor industry, but sod doing that further rest of my life!
Visited the careers office looking at RN or RAF. Dad was an RM officer( ex ranker) . Far too much running and fitness stuff for me there! Due to his job we did move around a fair bit.
Joined RAF in 71 and did 24 years. I saw sense and got extra civvy qualifications, HNC and degree which got me a job as a lecturer when I left in 96 . I retired in 2014 age 63.
2 tours in RAFG, Harrier then Jaguar so no regrets. RAF pension plus teachers and state one very nice thank you.
Other half was in PMRAFNS when we met. She left on marriage and did 40,years in the NHS gaining a nice pension.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'll tell you why I joined a second time if you like. Like most, I always missed the simplicity, the buzz and the craic relative to, say, desiginging metrics for supply chain KPIs - so I joined as a part time reserve but stayed in my corporate job which was VERY well remunerated.... for a bit

After a while and a 6-month mobilisation, it dawned upon me that I was chasng the buck to my retirement date, at which point I'd have a big pile of moolah and have led an utterly shit life (part 2) . Fortunately, redundancy beckoned and an FTRS job I did want popped up. You have to understand, which you won't if you join right from school, service life is hard and sometimes irritating, but it's a piece of piss and relatively stress free.

Now, I know I'm not you and you're not me, but I did what was good for me and life has been a fine thing since. Also, they're kicking me out in 18 nonths so I started a company yesterday - own your own life fellows

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'll tell you why I joined a second time if you like. Like most, I always missed the simplicity, the buzz and the craic relative to, say, desiginging metrics for supply chain KPIs - so I joined as a part time reserve but stayed in my corporate job which was VERY well remunerated.... for a bit

After a while and a 6-month mobilisation, it dawned upon me that I was chasng the buck to my retirement date, at which point I'd have a big pile of moolah and have led an utterly shit life (part 2) . Fortunately, redundancy beckoned and an FTRS job I did want popped up. You have to understand, which you won't if you join right from school, service life is hard and sometimes irritating, but it's a piece of piss and relatively stress free.

Now, I know I'm not you and you're not me, but I did what was good for me and life has been a fine thing since. Also, they're kicking me out in 18 nonths so I started a company yesterday - own your own life fellows
Any particular reason for being "kicked out"? Or just end-of-contract?

Deltaitem

Corporal
I was third generation military, so I was probably always going to join up. At the time I was into all that crash bang wallop stuff, and I liked my fitness, so I joined the Regiment.
You don't half do some bonkers things when you're young!