• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you still do

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For those of us KOS's who have taken off the blue uniform. What guidance given during your training days (Square bashing or trade) do you still follow?
Today at TB towers I was changing the bedding and found myself acting in accordance with instruction received at Swinditz I made sure the open end of the pillow cases faced away from the door. Why on earth does that happen it's many decades since Swinditz I can chuck pillows on the bed in any order I like but I didn't. I blame Pavlov and his bl00dy dog

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
For those of us KOS's who have taken off the blue uniform. What guidance given during your training days (Square bashing or trade) do you still follow?
Today at TB towers I was changing the bedding and found myself acting in accordance with instruction received at Swinditz I made sure the open end of the pillow cases faced away from the door. Why on earth does that happen it's many decades since Swinditz I can chuck pillows on the bed in any order I like but I didn't. I blame Pavlov and his bl00dy dog
I was telling this to the Mrs only last week. I was making the bed wrong according to her. The pillows had buttons that were meant to be seen apparently.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

I still think about 'hospital corners' even though I have fitted sheets.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Iron my own shirts & use 'Parade Gloss' to apply small circles to my 'good' shoes...... (not to fully 'bulled' standards perhaps)

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Still like the hair to be clear of the top of my ear.
Doesn't do anything for the long sideburns, or the half ponytail though...

foxOneFive

Corporal
Do RAF ovies and silver shadows ever wear out? Still gardening in both with arms of ovies tired round waste (bay style)

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Do RAF ovies and silver shadows ever wear out? Still gardening in both with arms of ovies tired round waste (bay style)
My ovies did wear out eventually - the velcro no longer restrained the civilian waistline.... .... Mrs Oldstacker used to complain about the arms around the waist though so gave up on that..

& I'm with Busby on the Windsor knot...

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Taps on all sinks need to be shiny at all times with no water marks on them. The sinks themselves must be dry after use.

Shirts cannot and must not be worn unless properly ironed.

Wife must be drilled regularly.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Inhale my food. Could be in Windsor Palace with the Queen and I'd have my dinner finished before she got her napkin sorted on her lap.

Many a time I've finished in a restaurant because my plate comes out first before everyone else on the table has theirs brought out, I know it's rude but sod eating cold food due to "Etiquette"

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
If I ever wear a tie it has to be with the full Windsor...I don't know another knot!
I still wear overalls but more to my current shape than the one I had years ago.
I seldom polish shoes - but I do keep them clean.
I still put my Thumb over the top of a Starter or Winding handle....and even Gym Weights.
Mrs Rigga has always done far better hospital corners than I ever could.

AirForce

LAC
I was in uniform both military and police for 40 years and I still follow the dress and bearing codes of those organisations; I also still adhere to the principle that being on time is late, being early is being on time.:)

I put my boots on the garage shelf on the day of my retirement and just dust them down now and again for old times sake.:)

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I also still adhere to the principle that being on time is late, being early is being on time.:)
My civvy mates just don't get that. i.e. Meet at the pub 8pm and they rock up at 8:15 or even 8:30 15 or 30 minutes late is fine apparently. Two things I can't stand bad timekeeping and scruffy barstewards

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've come close to charging myself a few times...but luckily for me I've got a bit of the banter to bail myself out.

I'm still very pernickety about time keeping. I try to never wear a tie (or trousers these days). I do polish shoes if they need it but not to any level of shine...more for preservation and water resistance. I think the attention to detail lesson is the one that has most served me well in this new walk of life...to really make sure everything is delivered to the highest possible standard has proven itself time and time again to be a rare beast out here.