• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you still do

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Always on time, always neat and tidy. Like Vim, I've left meetings after waiting a few minutes for the organiser to pitch-up. Enjoy ignoring the snotty emails I get for "not being patient"

fourteen2two

Corporal
I agree, I was always early for work, got a cuppa and prepped the classroom so I was there when the students arrived. Unlike some fellow lecturers who would rock up just as classes started or later! Totally unprofessional and sets a bad example to,the students.
If a manager was late for a meeting ,especially if it was in my break I would leave too.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
In between engineering employment I had a couple of summer months doing diddly......So as 'bizzy hands is happy hands' I went to an agency that was advertising/recruiting for short term driving and delivery jobs.....Bit o' pin money for my beer, footy and luvverly ladies slush fund.....
Every weekday morning I got to the depot at the crack o' knackers....Quick brew then sorted my parcels and packages and planned my most efficient route for that days delivering.....Meanwhile the majority of the other rag, tag and bobtail drivers rolled in, grunting, snorting, farting, wheezing and belching, scratchin' their @rse cracks an' draggin' on tabs and swigging their brew whilst some had their heads buried in page 3.....I daily did a much more than cursory DI on my allocated 3.5 tonne van or 7.5 tonne truck and cleaned my windscreen, windows & wing mirrors whilst the curious 'others' used to watch on, usually sniggering, grinning, nudging and smirking to each other.....Then I'd depart the depot and hit the road, do my multi drops then back to the depot via the local garage forecourt pumps and filling up the tank ready for the next day.....I suppose the 'others' thought I was OCD or just indoctrinated from my military background......I thought I was being normal and professional.....The delivery company management thought I was the latter, and stated when the time came that they were sad to see me go.....I can't think why?......

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Would not surprise me if the scruffy NFI drivers were ex MT. Saying that being in the trade has rubbed off on my car care. OK I don't DI it every day but gets a good check over once a week.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
My ovies did wear out eventually - the velcro no longer restrained the civilian waistline.... .... Mrs Oldstacker used to complain about the arms around the waist though so gave up on that..

& I'm with Busby on the Windsor knot...
The Windsor knot will only ever suffice. Bizarrely, Debrett's describes the Windsor as the sign of a cad!

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The Windsor knot will only ever suffice. Bizarrely, Debrett's describes the Windsor as the sign of a cad!
Phil the Greek used to use the Windsor knot - the differentiation between a cad and a gentleman being that a gentleman's Windsor knot had a vertical 'valley' in the top of the front of the tie where it emerges from the knot whereas a cad has it smooth.

Prince Philip was clearly a gentleman...

1623009735695.png

I, on the other hand, shun the crease....

Johned

SAC
I was in uniform both military and police for 40 years and I still follow the dress and bearing codes of those organisations; I also still adhere to the principle that being on time is late, being early is being on time.:)

I put my boots on the garage shelf on the day of my retirement and just dust them down now and again for old times sake.:)

Those boots are a beautiful sight and takes me back to my basic back in May 1953. Our Corporal spent practically all one evening bulling his boots prior to catching the first London train next morning to attend Her Majesty's first investiture, where he was to be awarded his MM for gallantry in Korea. When he set off, being naturally a handsome and amiable chap, he looked like something out of a recruiting poster. Great was his chagrin on arrival and being told by a flunkey whilst handing him a pair of white gym shoes "Forget about the boots Corporal; Her Majesty is mindful of the Palace carpets!"

grimm6

LAC
I was in uniform both military and police for 40 years and I still follow the dress and bearing codes of those organisations; I also still adhere to the principle that being on time is late, being early is being on time.:)

I put my boots on the garage shelf on the day of my retirement and just dust them down now and again for old times sake.:)

Still wear my Combat Boot High issued in 1986.. lol Great for gardening

Vushtrri

Sergeant
I still have a Bennie hat knitted by a WRAF Jackie Levy that I worked with at Gut in 83 and ended up in Stanley. Still wear it whilst working in my woods to this day and is as good as the day she knitted it..despite my ex binning it twice….

fourteen2two

Corporal
Still clean my shoes, not bulled! Clean and neatly dressed if out and about. Never go out in tracksuits or trainers which seem to be chavvy clothing of choice!
Have an old dpm jacket used for working outdoors in cold. Denims and safety boots expired a few years ago,so I had to buy some civvy replacements!

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
My job takes me to various RAF stations every year (well, it did pre-pandemic anyway); walking around the likes of Marham or Coningsby still feels a bit like home (although they didn't figure in my postings career and I've been a Mr for over 20 years) but at the first sight of a SWO I still twitch and mentally check my dress and posture for acceptability....

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
My 2 are timekeeping and tools
Still arrive 5 minutes early ( or ready on Teams 5 mins early)
Always check my tools before and after any jobs, I even have a tray in my tool kit for tools that need replacing, unfortunately, I have to pay for the replacements now

Deltaitem

Corporal
My Norwegian Army shirts were great when I used to ride my motorbike. I can still remember my number, and I still do my own ironing. Other than that, not much. In my immediately post-PVR days (well, probably the first five years actually), I'd always drop my shanks and moon at any RAF CIO I happened to be walking past while drunk.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Timekeeping is still one of the things that I am mindful of. Hate it when folks can't be arsed to turn up to an event on time.
Sadly, this is something I have become accustomed to in the CS. That said, if a meeting has started late without an apology from the organiser, I have been known to get up and walk out at the planned finish time and say "sorry, but i've got to go now as I only scheduled X amount of time, we started late and I dont want to keep my next meeting waiting around"

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Makes me cringe to see Royals or senior Officers in uniform without the afore mentioned Windsor knot.
I interviewed a young bloke over Teams a week last Friday for a position with my company. A small part of the assessment is for me to fill out a box describing his appearance. My only comment was 'not a windsor knot'! It was one of those terrible canister looking knots (flat, no shape, like a bean tin).