• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you doing in lock down?

ERT

Corporal
Not a lot, dont own my home or have a garden.

Could go digging up outside in the communal areas, but people might not like that.

Just about surviving, good job the local bakers is still open..

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Today - Post shed tidying I have used the discovered tub of Ronseal Forest green fence paint to paint six fence panels at the front of TB Towers. Tub now empty. Repainted all the chairs for the patio set ready for the coming summer BBQ season (Here's hoping), sorted two raised beds now have seeds in for parsnip, carrot, turnip, beetroot and radish. I also now have a very clean golf trolley all prepped for when the course opens up again. Tomorrows plan is grass mowing, strimming etc and a garden tidying sort of day if its not raining.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
day at week countin spitfires. phone in the works services and then "work from home"

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Arguing with the Sheffield Star that their subscription is way over the top, and they should accept my offer of £50 per year (they want over £75), they think that they are worth more than £50 and won't accept that the New York Times is better value at $1 each week.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Been rostered for work this week. Went in to find all our outstanding work had been moved from our individual team cupboard to one central area. Nobody could find anything. Spent half a day persuading my manager that what had happened was counter-productive. Then started a process of moving everything back to its original area, and re-setting the date it was due up to allow customers more time to provide docs/info. Will probably finish that today, ready for 2 weeks' worth of post to be dealt with next week. I am not on the rota, so I can get back to being a volunteer responder as of tonight.

On the positive side, my team did manage to locate and issue the passport applications for all the HM Forces personnel who needed them for upcoming deployments over the next week - that I do define as urgent & critical.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I’ve found that my uptake of red wine and scotch has increased considerably...I now arise at 0800 rather than before 0600...my mileage is <3 miles a week rather than 500-800...I’m chilled out 100% more than usual and yet still achieving my aims at work if not improving in them.

Perhaps some good will come of all this in terms or working practices?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I think all non-manufacturing/retail companies will look at ways to work from home in the very near future. The very few of my colleagues who are fortunate enough to have a laptop are far more productive than when they are in the office, plus they don't have the commute.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think all non-manufacturing/retail companies will look at ways to work from home in the very near future. The very few of my colleagues who are fortunate enough to have a laptop are far more productive than when they are in the office, plus they don't have the commute.

Agreeed. Thats a huge cutural norm that needs overcoming, not least the matter of trust. If you've ever WFH before you realise that you think that you're skiving and it's great - but you're turning over a lot more work than usual. Sadly, theres still a figurative top-hatted bloke at a stand up desk in the corner who doesn't quite get it.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I once worked for a training design company near Heathrow and the norm was to work from home.
Everyone was given a task with estimated man-hours to complete, any time you had the task completed early was yours and there was normally a couple of days wait for the next job so it was an excellent way to work.
Plus there was plenty of opportunity to work on customer sites to get work signed off and get preparation done for new tasks.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Agreeed. Thats a huge cutural norm that needs overcoming, not least the matter of trust. If you've ever WFH before you realise that you think that you're skiving and it's great - but you're turning over a lot more work than usual. Sadly, theres still a figurative top-hatted bloke at a stand up desk in the corner who doesn't quite get it.
In my experience managers who demand face time and hate their staff home working have major trust and control issues.

When I work from home I get my tasks done a lot quicker and either catch up with some other tasks or a bit of personal admin. When I’m in work this time is wasted on micro interruptions or picking work that others should have been doing.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I’ve found that my uptake of red wine and scotch has increased considerably...I now arise at 0800 rather than before 0600...my mileage is <3 miles a week rather than 500-800...I’m chilled out 100% more than usual and yet still achieving my aims at work if not improving in them.

Perhaps some good will come of all this in terms or working practices?
I’m hoping that many companies and Senior Officers in the three Services realise you don’t need to drag people from all over the country for meetings when the technology to hold face to face meetings is clearly there. Let’s face it, if Boris can use ‘Zoom’ anyone can! Many of us can hold forth on the amount of times we’ve been forced to drive long distances for a meeting that was utterly pointless.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I’m hoping that many companies and Senior Officers in the three Services realise you don’t need to drag people from all over the country for meetings when the technology to hold face to face meetings is clearly there. Let’s face it, if Boris can use ‘Zoom’ anyone can! Many of us can hold forth on the amount of times we’ve been forced to drive long distances for a meeting that was utterly pointless.

They will after this.

Up the chain everyones meetings are by Skype (which is shit incidentally), and much shorter.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I dont think there's anything else I can pressure wash. I'd do me bum, but the gun is too long.

Entropy

Sergeant
Any recommended products for the clean? I’m getting a Kärcher jetwash on payday and would like to get a proper collection ready to do our motors.
Look at the Kartcher outlet web site, they have refurbed units at a lot lower price. I bought mine from there and have never had an issue.