• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you doing in lock down?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The list of lock down tasks is getting quite mundane now. Fixed a small snag in the bathroom yesterday that's been there for at least 7 years. Today's unrelenting excitement includes a fish tank water change and filter sorted out, the fridge has been cleaned inside and out. As the excitement peaks I have to choose later between ironing some stuff or hoovering the upstairs of TB Towers. I shall save washing the car for when I'm really bored.

What's the must mundane thing the effect of lock down has had you taking on??

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Never had the offer of do much work. I could work 7 days a week. People are shopping online like it's the end of world.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Admittedly I have shopped online today but not for anything spectacularly important, just a new pair of Persol sunglasses. 60% off, result!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Where your sunglasses an essential item.😉
And there's the rub, one mans essential shopping is another blokes unnecessary item. For example if you're revamping the bath room and the old one has gone then, for hygiene reasons, having a bath and its accompanying bits and bobs delivered and fitted is essential if you're planning to do the upgrade after it's all over in say 6 months time then buying the bath fittings now is unnecessary shopping. For me Beer = essential, hair spray = unnecessary but for a Doris it could be the reverse.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
And there's the rub, one mans essential shopping is another blokes unnecessary item. For example if you're revamping the bath room and the old one has gone then, for hygiene reasons, having a bath and its accompanying bits and bobs delivered and fitted is essential if you're planning to do the upgrade after it's all over in say 6 months time then buying the bath fittings now is unnecessary shopping. For me Beer = essential, hair spray = unnecessary but for a Doris it could be the reverse.
I'll leave you with this, maybe it'll make people take a step back before you have a rant about what's essential and what isn't.

Do you ever think maybe that guy buying a tub of paint knows he must keep busy because idle hands in the past has caused him to relapse and pick up that slab of beer ?

So he's using this time to do home improvements, something that keeps his mind busy while feeling a sense of accomplishment, trying to avoid painful triggers while possibly alone ?

Or maybe that lady buying bags of soil and seeds, hasn't struggled with depression and suicide ?

How do you know that planting and watching something beautiful grow during this time of darkness , isn't essential to her and holding on to what little hope she might still have ..

We need to remember that it is impossible to know just by looking at a situation from "our" small lens what someone is truly going through or where their mental health is at .

Everyone handles chaos and healing through different means , and I know we are all on edge but please stop being so judgmental of others.

💖 #mentalhealthisnumberone

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Well said sir. The phrase "never judge a book by its cover" has never been more appropriate.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Everyone handles chaos and healing through different means , and I know we are all on edge but please stop being so judgmental of others.

💖 #mentalhealthisnumberone
Not being judgmental at all just pointing out that one individuals idea of what's essential can be totally different to someone else's idea of what's essential. We are all different so will view the concept of essential shopping differently.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Not being judgmental at all just pointing out that one individuals idea of what's essential can be totally different to someone else's idea of what's essential. We are all different so will view the concept of essential shopping differently.
I wasn't having a go at you I was agreeing with you. It's those people who do make judgements about others, those who make complaints to the Police who need to look at themselves.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
I've gone without booze, sex, fags and junk food for over three weeks now and feel like a million dollars.....I should hopefully be out for good behaviour in another two.....?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Found this

When you see idiots taking no notice of the UK lockdown just remember your actions could lead to this. Lockdown in Spain means something different to the UK - children haven’t left their homes in weeks, exercise is banned and there are even rules about which supermarket you can visit

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
In the last couple of days we have resurrected the Wii console and started using the Wii Sports and, today, the Wii Fit+ with the balance board.... it thinks i'm 6 years older than I really am so it must be b*******d:ROFLMAO: I think a daily session on there might be called for while the lockdown lasts....

ERT

Corporal
I've purchased a bike of Facebook sales and wants, used YouTube to straighten a wheel ishy.

Started an assignment which I signed up for using a SLC a few years back and it's 90% complete, so some £££ to come back.

Whilst trawling the Defence Ideas page, I spotted the JHub thing which also pays you £££ for undertaking some learning... that could be next.. 😉

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Although I have dodged to WFH a few times over the years to complete a project without interruption, etc, I think that it will take a few n=more years before some bosses and certainly some larger companies will allow a ‘lot’ of WFH. Whatever, the knock-on effect of allowing much more WFH is the decline of used/equipped office space and a loss of office disciplines such as filing and archiving.
Most of all bad knock-ons is the loss of control of company IP (Intellectual Property) and - in my opinion - thats what will stop large and cutting edge companies allowing a lot of WFH.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Finally got time to get my home studio up and running as well. Re-jigged the living room to fit a new desk for the Amp, Computer, Interface, Monitors and my pedal board.
Nice weekend spent messing around with guitars and downloading software

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Although I have dodged to WFH a few times over the years to complete a project without interruption, etc, I think that it will take a few n=more years before some bosses and certainly some larger companies will allow a ‘lot’ of WFH. Whatever, the knock-on effect of allowing much more WFH is the decline of used/equipped office space and a loss of office disciplines such as filing and archiving.
Most of all bad knock-ons is the loss of control of company IP (Intellectual Property) and - in my opinion - thats what will stop large and cutting edge companies allowing a lot of WFH.
Nothing that can’t be cover one with current tech, apart from some areas of business where the law hasn’t caught up with technology.

Documents can be signed electronically and stored in the cloud. One of the first things I did when I took over my current role was to set up the document shared space, takes a little bit longer when you create a file but the pay back is pretty quick afterwards. I’ve not needed to go in the main office to access a document for a long time. I even use a dedicated iPad for taking notes and storing policies and processes so I don’t need to carry too much physical paper round with me.

My current work phone has a walled garden email app and all the sharing and screen shot features are blocked so IP is protected unless you’re determined to share secrets.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Found this.

The top 7 disadvantages of working from home
  • A lack of community and differences in culture. ...
  • Difficult or lacking communication. ...
  • Low reliability and retention. ...
  • Difficult to manage and maintain accountability. ...
  • Issues with payment and logistics. ...
  • Loss of productivity. ...
  • Security concerns.
The biggest one for me is the lack of social interaction, for a lot of people going to work is the only adult company the get during the day.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Finally got time to get my home studio up and running as well. Re-jigged the living room to fit a new desk for the Amp, Computer, Interface, Monitors and my pedal board.
Nice weekend spent messing around with guitars and downloading software
Might I ask what software you're running? I've just started on Reason 10 so I can set out to become the new Boards of Canada or Future Sound of London.