• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you doing in lock down?

ERT

Corporal
Found this.

The top 7 disadvantages of working from home
  • A lack of community and differences in culture. ...
  • Difficult or lacking communication. ...
  • Low reliability and retention. ...
  • Difficult to manage and maintain accountability. ...
  • Issues with payment and logistics. ...
  • Loss of productivity. ...
  • Security concerns.
The biggest one for me is the lack of social interaction, for a lot of people going to work is the only adult company the get during the day.

Yup, thats me. The only adult conversations i have are during the working day. The majority outside are "go to bed", "get dressed" and "get off your xbox"...

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Found this.

The top 7 disadvantages of working from home
  • A lack of community and differences in culture. ...
  • Difficult or lacking communication. ...
  • Low reliability and retention. ...
  • Difficult to manage and maintain accountability. ...
  • Issues with payment and logistics. ...
  • Loss of productivity. ...
  • Security concerns.
The biggest one for me is the lack of social interaction, for a lot of people going to work is the only adult company the get during the day.

The other one for me is the lack of 'casual conversation' about work - you know, the quick work chat with someone passing your desk or at the kitchen area and the overheard conversation on the floorplate that adds to your knowledge or gives you the chance to interject something that might not otherwise have been asked of you. I think that lack of interaction is not something that would be noticed straight away but takes time to be missed.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The other one for me is the lack of 'casual conversation' about work - you know, the quick work chat with someone passing your desk or at the kitchen area and the overheard conversation on the floorplate that adds to your knowledge or gives you the chance to interject something that might not otherwise have been asked of you. I think that lack of interaction is not something that would be noticed straight away but takes time to be missed.
The "Google Effect".
In't good old days four of you would be isn't pub chatting about whatever. The conversation would tangent off in various ways.
Not anymore. Now it's do you remember who/whatever, somebody Googles, comes up with the fact, end of conversation.e

Bringing facts into a beer call is a terrible thing.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
As I said, Ive often dodged home for a day or two to concentrate on and complete a project - part time WFH.
For that short period the quiet and still atmosphere is quite beneficial, but working permanently from home does have the communication disadvantage and a periodic ‘lack of impetus’ can be quite disheartening Requiring some fortitude to push through it....I’ve literally been in my home for 4 full weeks now.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I too have jet washed most of the external reaches of Fuegoville...and I have broken the HP wand fitting so onto Amazon for another...the excitement!

I purchased a new petrol lawnmower as well so none of our grassy areas have gone unpunished...I didn't actually read the blurb that closely it appears (purchased based on the racey colours and snazzy wheels to be honest) so was quite surprised to find out that the second dead-mans handle was in fact to engage the powered wheels...FML!

I have 'feed and weed'ed' all now freshly shawn grass and a few days later raked all the dead moss out. I have cut down a couple of trees with my chain saw and half filled the log store with seasoning wood with a few more candidates to go. I found a long lost path with doing this so we are clearing and digging it out to see where it leads...hopefully to a COVID19 free land with Turkish Delight all round.

I have re-sprayed the garden funiture and decided we'll get another year out of it. I have also painted nearly all the front the of house, which due to its design (1900 build Victorian house) has a bunch of fancy features of which some need to be whit e and the other the main colour...luckily only the front has that fanciness so the rest of the gaff shouldn't be nearly as difficult.

I have got back to making bread and fruit pies for the gannets that are my family to consume...also every meal we eat is now prepared from fresh as opposed to sometimes them being shook out of a packet after getting in late from work. Even my kids are baking in between X-Box'ing.

I have been busy putting my rugby club into a 'silent running' mode to survive this debacle. We also applied for the various rate breaks and grants and all have been received so now we are in the best place I could envision to survive and quickly start to operate again once the word is given that we can.

That was the past 14 days...whats next?

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I too have jet washed most of the external reaches of Fuegoville...and I have broken the HP wand fitting so onto Amazon for another...the excitement!

I purchased a new petrol lawnmower as well so none of our grassy areas have gone unpunished...I didn't actually read the blurb that closely it appears (purchased based on the racey colours and snazzy wheels to be honest) so was quite surprised to find out that the second dead-mans handle was in fact to engage the powered wheels...FML!

I have 'feed and weed'ed' all now freshly shawn grass and a few days later raked all the dead moss out. I have cut down a couple of trees with my chain saw and half filled the log store with seasoning wood with a few more candidates to go. I found a long lost path with doing this so we are clearing and digging it out to see where it leads...hopefully to a COVID19 free land with Turkish Delight all round.

I have re-sprayed the garden funiture and decided we'll get another year out of it. I have also painted nearly all the front the of house, which due to its design (1900 build Victorian house) has a bunch of fancy features of which some need to be whit e and the other the main colour...luckily only the front has that fanciness so the rest of the gaff shouldn't be nearly as difficult.

I have got back to making bread and fruit pies for the gannets that are my family to consume...also every meal we eat is now prepared from fresh as opposed to sometimes them being shook out of a packet after getting in late from work. Even my kids are baking in between X-Box'ing.

I have been busy putting my rugby club into a 'silent running' mode to survive this debacle. We also applied for the various rate breaks and grants and all have been received so now we are in the best place I could envision to survive and quickly start to operate again once the word is given that we can.

That was the past 14 days...whats next?
Fucks sake, man !!!
You ain't got the hang of this work list thing, have you.

1) make a list of things that need doing
2) avoid doing things on the list
thereby
3) leaving some work for tomorrow

If you get the hang of this, you'll come out of this crisis with the list intact. If you're really good the list will have got bigger.

Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fucks sake, man !!!
You ain't got the hang of this work list thing, have you.

1) make a list of things that need doing
2) avoid doing things on the list
thereby
3) leaving some work for tomorrow

If you get the hang of this, you'll come out of this crisis with the list intact. If you're really good the list will have got bigger.

Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.
Genius! I'll try and introduce this not only into my home routine, but I shall deploy this method across my entire department at work (although I think someone may have beat me to it by a couple of years) 😆😆

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I aint showing my missus this forum if your all gonna boast about doing all that stuff!

In the FOUR weeks since I arrived home - Ive been working (as I did even today) I now have maintenance approvals for Guernsey and Cayman Islands and I've just completed an MOE Supplement for future MOD work...I still have about 100 forms to vet/update and prepare for Brexit.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I taught our Bengal cat to fetch and carry a ball...#notawasteoftime