• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weekends off - Wearing uniform to commute home.

As I travelled back home through London from my PRTC there were quite a few Army/RAF travelling in uniform throughout the tube system.

If you are very very lucky and manage to get a weekend off during BRTC, do you have to travel home in your civvys or can you wear your combats/MTP on the commute home?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Bearing in mind the attention paid to the condition of your uniform on inspections at Halton, I would suggest that the less time you are wearing it, the better condition it will be in come inspection time.

There's plenty of time in your future career for you to be wearing your uniform in public (and you will!) - however whilst you are at Halton, I would keep it as spick and span as you can.

Thanks for the quick reply and I understand that your kit needs to be 100% at all times during Halton but are you actually allowed to wear it off base when you're in RTS?

Although maybe not very up to date, When I went through in 2002 we were not allowed to go home in uniform. People for some reason loved wearing their flight t-shirts though.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
No, you are not allowed off base in uniform during BRTC.

Aside from the terrorist aspect, you'd probably leave something at home, then require a chewing out from your flight staff.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The people you saw could have been working at Main Building or London units.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Also to the above (Which'll only apply if you're successful through Halton), if you must insist on wearing Uniform when off shift, make sure it's to a high standard. I can't stand seeing some slack arse mincing about like a bag of **** tied in the middle minus hat etc. (And I did pull them up for it.)

LilStill

Sergeant
Also to the above (Which'll only apply if you're successful through Halton), if you must insist on wearing Uniform when off shift, make sure it's to a high standard. I can't stand seeing some slack arse mincing about like a bag of **** tied in the middle minus hat etc. (And I did pull them up for it.)
Big issue with that in Lincoln, does my tits in.

wench02

SAC
Cant say I have EVER seen anyone in Lincoln wandering around in a uniform... and I have been there plenty of times.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I've never understood why anyone would want to wear their uniform anywhere other than their place of work.

LilStill

Sergeant
I've never understood why anyone would want to wear their uniform anywhere other than their place of work.
Well, my missus doesn't drive, so if she starts or finishes close to my hours, I'll drive her in uniform. And then naturally end up in Tesco or Costa or something. Beyond that, I'd agree, but I can see how it can legitmately happen - just wish people would wear it properly!

wench02

SAC
Whoops just realised I have seen people in uniform... walking into the AFCO office! And I don't go accosting random strangers, but I used to work in Lincoln, and I never, ever have seen anyone in uniform. Agree with the bit of going to Tesco's etc... I often end up in the supermarket after I have been to ride my horse, often smelling of poop!

sambo1983

LAC
No, once the terror threat heightened you shouldn't wear uniform off unit, especially in London?! Surely your flight staff told you this.

Regularly see uniformed servicemen in Tesco in Sleaford. Most look very smart whilst the majority of the grow bag wearing fraternity really look like the proverbial bag tied at the middle!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
No, once the terror threat heightened you shouldn't wear uniform off unit, especially in London?! Surely your flight staff told you this.
The OP had only just been on his PRTC so wouldn't have flight staff as such - plus the question was posed over a year ago.