• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veteran's ID card - E-Petition

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Fair question, I suppose.
Curiosity about it, for one thing. Secondly, it is supposedly going to act as proof of service when trying to access things like health or social care - veterans are supposed to get priority treatment and as I get older and have seen deficiencies in those systems anything that helps me is a bonus. Thirdly, some companies do offer discounts or benefits for veterans and the card is a way of demonstrating entitlement to those benefits.
Do I think it will change my world? Not really, but it's free and maybe...

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Coming to eBay when our little Asian friends get hold on one. The Walts will be in their element. Personally I don't see an advantage, civvies rarely recognise vets even with the covenant.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why do you sad acts want this?

I got mine on discharge in May '23 and its sat in the envelope it arrived in......

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I got mine on discharge in May '23 and its sat in the envelope it arrived in......

If it comes with a free envelope, then it's definitely worth it!

Rumour has it there's a voucher for free socks in there as well....

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Amazingly, my card arrived in the post this morning. As to why, the official line is

"The cards allow veterans to easily verify their service to the NHS, their local authority, and charities, helping them to access support and services where needed."

If it does what it says on the tin then great, if not then what's lost?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
like arguing about the Royal Mail having to deliver pizza leaflets 6 days a week, I just can’t see a case for this in the modern age, some vague reason for accessing enhanced Medical Care, when I’m pretty certain it would be much easier to put a flag on your medical records just don’t cut it.

I pay £5 every 5 years for a Blue Light card that gets me all the discounts this card probably gets, and probably more, I’m guessing the admin and process behind this card are a few bob more than this, and with the blue light card it sits on my phone so it’s not another card I have to accommodate In my wallet.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
like arguing about the Royal Mail having to deliver pizza leaflets 6 days a week, I just can’t see a case for this in the modern age, some vague reason for accessing enhanced Medical Care, when I’m pretty certain it would be much easier to put a flag on your medical records just don’t cut it.

I pay £5 every 5 years for a Blue Light card that gets me all the discounts this card probably gets, and probably more, I’m guessing the admin and process behind this card are a few bob more than this, and with the blue light card it sits on my phone so it’s not another card I have to accommodate In my wallet.

There should already be a marker on your med records. There is on mine.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Yes they are. I had a tooth out at my local hospital and the dentist who saw me for my initial consultation was a RM Colonel.He asked if I was still in or not . Plus I am also registered at my local GP surgery as ex forces.

Downsizer’s left it sat in the envelope it arrived in, his/her choice, happy days with that

I want mine because a) I can, and b) I’m a sad act. Plus any chance of free socks can’t be bad… 😊

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Downsizer’s left it sat in the envelope it arrived in, his/her choice, happy days with that

I want mine because a) I can, and b) I’m a sad act. Plus any chance of free socks can’t be bad… 😊

What you going do to with it mate?

Donkey871

LAC
What you going do to with it mate?

Sharpen one edge and use it to cut the throat of the next snowflake that passes me off? Only joking! Or am I....?