• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veteran's ID card - E-Petition

fileeth

Corporal
I have had a check and don't think this has been posted yet.

Lads and Lasses i have appended my name at the following link -

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/14243

There has been enough discussion and queries at various sites etc. about this subject that somebody has finally set up an e-petition.
How about a few more signatures to help it along because we all have the chance to become a veteran.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Now 9002, I'll be needing one soon myself!

I'd have to ask why you would want one? Your ID card in the RAF - or any of the other armed forces stands for nothing in Civvy St - so why should anyone take any notice of a "Veterans" ID card to give you anything different? You can buy (!) a Bluelight card or take advantage of the multiple forces discounts websites available... You can't really expect that because you have one of these - you'll leap to the head of the local housing list - or to the front of the queue for a hip replacement?

Sorry I misread it - this isn't for consessions or anything else - this is worded so that when you go to the states - you cnan yuse theirs??: "Some nations will expand some of these to veterans from other countries. UK Veterans with an ID card will be able to take advantage." So the originator of this petition is asking for one so Vets can take advantage of the systems in place in other countries - and nothing about any in this one?

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'd have to ask why you would want one? Your ID card in the RAF - or any of the other armed forces stands for nothing in Civvy St - so why should anyone take any notice of a "Veterans" ID card to give you anything different? You can buy (!) a Bluelight card or take advantage of the multiple forces discounts websites available... You can't really expect that because you have one of these - you'll leap to the head of the local housing list - or to the front of the queue for a hip replacement?

Sorry I misread it - this isn't for consessions or anything else - this is worded so that when you go to the states - you cnan yuse theirs??: "Some nations will expand some of these to veterans from other countries. UK Veterans with an ID card will be able to take advantage." So the originator of this petition is asking for one so Vets can take advantage of the systems in place in other countries - and nothing about any in this one?

I had intended to keep it closed about this on the grounds of "if one cannto say anything nice.." etc, but as you raised it I am sort of on your side on this one.

When you go, you go.

Your new stature amongst life's fellow travellers should not be about a bit of pocket plastic and if you need discounts based upon being an ex-member, you can surely do it without a that talisman to be whipped at at a moments notice.

As to the US attitude to old giffers and their love of the military model, well they are different to us in many respects and that's a cultural thing and I don't think that will ever change. And you knwo what? I am more consoled by concerned by that - I like us better this way.

(That said, I do think the MoD treat all ex-servicemen like an unwanted piece of gum stuck to their shoe)

Martin Blank

Sergeant
The MOD have withdrawn the official 1250/form 90 or whatever it was for RAF Dependants, can't see them producing a Vets card.
Maybe the RAFBF or RBL or one of the veterans agencies/associations would be better off lobbying for a UK discount & card.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
The MOD have withdrawn the official 1250/form 90 or whatever it was for RAF Dependants, can't see them producing a Vets card.
Maybe the RAFBF or RBL or one of the veterans agencies/associations would be better off lobbying for a UK discount & card.

Let me google that for you:

Linky

There are LOADS of discounts for forces sites on the web - and as I mentioned above (badly typed I admit...) theres the BlueLightCard - that you can pay for and get discounts on stuff...

You could even look here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/forces-discounts-97 or here: http://www.britishveterans.co.uk/

I am under no illusion that if I walked into a shop and flashed a "UK Veteran" ID card at someone they'd give the snotty nosed art student behind me 10% more discount...

Last edited:

Martin Blank

Sergeant
I am under no illusion that if I walked into a shop and flashed a "UK Veteran" ID card at someone they'd give the snotty nosed art student behind me 10% more discount...

Been there, stood in Millets asking for my platry forces discount only to find my 16 year old college student son gets more than me.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I've signed this but what do you want the card to do?

Cannot see any real benefit unless its linked to some kind of vets career package.

If you are medically discharged you get priority treatment, also if you get a war pension or compensation post discharge, so all you are asking for is an official discount card good luck with that.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
A "Veteran's Card" is a fine ideal; giving the retailer a chance to show a little gratitude to a Serviceman/woman who's been out there and done something. To my mind, however, there's a fine line between ther theory and the practice.
But the wording lacked a certain 'something'.
I cannot see it coming out soon, even if I have signed up.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have already applied for one - I saw an invitation for people to test the process and was straight in there...😀 Just waiting for it to arrive, although that could take another 4 - 6 weeks.

Donkey871

LAC
I have already applied for one - I saw an invitation for people to test the process and was straight in there...😀 Just waiting for it to arrive, although that could take another 4 - 6 weeks.
I applied for mine using the beta test process on 22 Dec '23 and it arrived today, less than 5 weeks with bank holidays included so it looks like they are meeting their targets.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
My application went in on either 27 or 28 Dec through the beta process as well. Based on Donkey's experience I might get mine this week then. I will let you all know.