• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veterans can keep ID Cards

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
One small issue with this.

1. You will be displaying your MOD90 to a range of service providers and retail staff, all pretty much on minimum wage.
2. It has an expiry date.

Combine the 2.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Am I the only one who is wondering why people feel the need to prove their service? Does it really matter that much?

No idea whatsoever. As Tom Cruise reminded us in a few good men, you don't need to wear a uniform to have dignity....

...it does, however, help you get laid from time to time.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Am I the only one who is wondering why people feel the need to prove their service? Does it really matter that much?

Handy in the US for gaining the benefit of their many and various services and discounts.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having a British accent and asking if they give discount for coalition forces does exactly the same...

I've had some awkward Yanks in the past but luckily I still had an ID card then. The lapel badge really does not cut it.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I've had some awkward Yanks in the past but luckily I still had an ID card then. The lapel badge really does not cut it.

Anything you can easily buy on Ebay was never going to cut it. At least the Id is proof positive that you served and if it got me free stuff then I'd definitely have one.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
If the idea becomes an accepted practice for allowances and discounts, then it can’t be all that bad, even if only valid for getting a free cuppa in a garden center.

Initially, however, you would have to balance the public declaration of your Armed Forces history with a recognition of risk to potential retaliation which may be verbal or otherwise.

Personally, I would be applying for my new ID - when it is clear where/how to do it.

FOMz

Warrant Officer

My forces discount card worked perfectly in Americalan, even the TSA clown on the fast track aisle accepted it.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I thought the Govt were eventually going to give Veterans their driving licence with a big V on it or has that been scrapped

If you need to explain it then it won’t work, plastic card that says Armed Forces Veteran with a photo will need no explaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
P1 will cut the corner off your MOD 90 and let you keep it. This is so you can’t swan back on camp when you feel like a free coffee on the Sgts’ Mess 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Having a British accent and asking if they give discount for coalition forces does exactly the same...

My forces discount card worked perfectly in Americalan, even the TSA clown on the fast track aisle accepted it.

Although I had my forces discount card on a recent trip to the states no-one asked to see it, I just asked about veteran's discount and those places that gave it applied it to my bill without wanting proof. Still, I felt better having the card with me just in case. I never thought to try it on the TSA fast track, good tip that, I'll try it next time.