• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veterans can keep ID Cards

fourteen2two

Corporal
Forces discount catd is useful, lots of discounts in various outlets. You get 20 percent off in coffee places at some motorway services. Mine paid for itself after a couple of stops.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'm with Fomz - I've no idea why people have the urge to hold on to their ID card... to be fair I'm sick of having to show the bloody thing every time I need to go somewhere. The only use I'd have for it would be if I end up making a shadow box for my career of tat when I finally retire - medals, MOD90, the odd mil collector coin and rank tabs. That's about it.

I certainly have no intention of carting it round with me - my driving licence serves exactly the same purpose, but contains far more useful information.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
does your Drivers licence get you forces discounts?
No....course not. But then I've only ever used my MOD90 to get a discount in Go Outdoors, maybe once a year. Can't see me spending much time in that particular shop when I reach pensionable age!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Just a few of the Forces Discount paticipating outlets

Yeah, I know there's a few, but I don't really have use for any of the other stores. Go Outdoors was useful when my daughter did horseriding, and more recently as both my kids have taken up sea fishing. and as a family we've done a bit of camping over the years. But none of the others really have any appeal. The Merlin pass discount may be useful, but most of the attractions are a bit far off for us, and like the website says, half the time there are 2 for 1 offers being run by someone.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The DDS site and app are pretty good, if a bit clunky to use, like others have said it’s not for everyone but it is free and as long as you shop around you’ll be no worse off, if you go for the card, £5 fee, it pays for itself pretty quickly with coffees from Starbucks and other purchases in store and food places.

In the UK flashing a veterans card would probably confuse as many people as it wouldn’t, the DDS card is pretty obvious what it is, Discount being in big letters, so is probably easier to use.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The DDS site and app are pretty good, if a bit clunky to use, like others have said it’s not for everyone but it is free and as long as you shop around you’ll be no worse off, if you go for the card, £5 fee, it pays for itself pretty quickly with coffees from Starbucks and other purchases in store and food places.

In the UK flashing a veterans card would probably confuse as many people as it wouldn’t, the DDS card is pretty obvious what it is, Discount being in big letters, so is probably easier to use.

Cotswold Outdoors offer some hefty discounts with the DDS card, same with Halfords.

Well worth the five quid outlay.

I've even bagged hire car upgrades just by showing the card at airport car pickup points as well, so it's definitely useful to have one.