• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Uniform Questionnaire

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It was mentioned on the AFCAS survey, the cheap chinese shite that we procure at the moment isnt fit for purpose, the trousers don't last before they either fall apart of bits fall off, the shirts are cheap and shit, they go see through after a few months, the shoes fall apart. i've never worn a jumper in the last 20 years even though they relaxed the rule about having a tie on, the jacket pockets falling apart has been fixed but its still a shit design. I don't want to wear combats as i'm not in the ARMY, we need to have our own identity.
It's not the fact that its Chinese made that makes it crap, they will just make it to spec, pay for a higher spec get a better shirt no matter where it is made.

Do they still have those annoying plasticky labels.

jti

LAC
I saw this on CASWOs Instagram feed in December, but otherwise nothing!
53% we’re unhappy with the uniform, so let’s trial new court shoes! And it turns out that 62% of Shineys who don’t have a stable belt answered the survey. 70951028-CC37-48D7-97B1-46171A9B3254.jpeg

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So reservists (who don't have to wear it every day) had a say in the matter? What were the results of the survey if only regular personnel's views were considered? As usual, i consider the results published above as interesting for what they don't say as for what they do say and that there are some interesting contrasts - 53% said it wasn't fit for purpose yet 58% were, at least, neutral or positive about it giving them a sense of pride....
61% would wear a stable belt if it was issued; I had one (2 actually over a 23 year career) and found that in some jobs it was fine but in other roles it was more trouble than it was worth. So what were the respondents who wanted to wear one - all shineys, all reservists, all people who wear MTP regularly & want to be differentiated from our green brethren?
Was it only members of the group self-defining as women who wanted new court shoes??

Oh to see the raw, unfiltered, unspun data....

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I saw this on CASWOs Instagram feed in December, but otherwise nothing!
53% we’re unhappy with the uniform, so let’s trial new court shoes! And it turns out that 62% of Shineys who don’t have a stable belt answered the survey. View attachment 1011744
So we will see chnges in about 10 years if we are lucky!!!!

Personally some form of Blue PCS/DPM would be welcome.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
We were asking for a fatigues type uniform over 40 years ago similar to the USAF utility stuff. It could be quite easily be done in blue.

4.jpg

What they gave us in the mid 80s were lightweight nylon trousers that were effin awful.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I missed the old thunderbird jacket when it went...To be worn zip open as a casual jacket whilst having a mid-week lunch time pint down the NAAFI before returning to work for a nap then home...

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
So we will see chnges in about 10 years if we are lucky!!!!

Personally some form of Blue PCS/DPM would be welcome.
Blue PCS was trialled at Brize a couple of years ago.

Guess the clothing supply types have had a change of boss since then and that trial has been forgotten about.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So does anyone who's still in fancy a change of uniform then?

To be honest I'm not that fussed. I've reached a level where I am desk bound and my blues work for that.

I'm not at all keen on blue PCS.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
That's the new Space Command uniform.
Suppose they have to differentiate themselves from the rest of the RAF being "Elite" and all that :-D!!! Wonder if the WOs there will have different rank badges to distinguish themselves from the rest of the WO cadre???

br9mp81

Corporal
bit off subject but crapita have just signed off a new fire kit contract as service fftrs will be wearing it i take it it has to go past DCTA? first.?

Don't know they're born these days.

It was a joy trying to squeeze two maybe three pairs of free socks out of clothing, in fact, it was almost a bloodsport. Stacker baiting.
Can honestly say, the only time I wore the issue thin black nylon socks was in basic training. The rest of the time I bought cotton socks.

That being said, the white OOA socks were the best.