• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Uniform Questionnaire

Had a questionnaire in work about RAF No. 2 uniform this week. Does this mean we could be having a No. 2 uniform change on the horizon? Anyone have any further info and what are your thoughts?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Number 2 uniform is being looked at as part of Project Astra.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What are current serving people's opinions on no.2 uniform? To me, on the rare occasion I was forced to wear it, it never felt like a uniform...It was a pretty heavy blue jumper and some trousers that never survived the test of time. If I ever got wet in it it soaked up the water like a sponge. I often though some cargo's and a fleece top would have been more practical.

What are current serving people's opinions on no.2 uniform? To me, on the rare occasion I was forced to wear it, it never felt like a uniform...It was a pretty heavy blue jumper and some trousers that never survived the test of time. If I ever got wet in it it soaked up the water like a sponge. I often though some cargo's and a fleece top would have been more practical.
IMO it's pretty crap. Just a shirt and trousers which are not at all practical for today's RAF. OK for a desk job but even then it wrinkles up the moment you sit down, spill a brew on it and you're buggered. You can't wear a jumper unless you wear a long sleeve shirt and a tie, or if you're a techie you can wear a dark blue shirt with a jumper, but then some of the seniors don't allow the wearing of a dark blue shirt. As you said, cargo's, a polo neck t-shirt and some kind of optional fleece or jacket would be perfect for today's "working dress".

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I filled the survey in. Its our chance to have a say how we dress in the future. I needed a lot of extra space for comments I had. If they are looking to upgrade/enhance the uniform lets make it fit for the 21st Century and look to the future. Nothing wrong with having the formal part of the uniform for Ceremonial and PR stuff but every day!!!!!!!!!!! Make the change now!!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Whatever the outcome, some absolute knee scraping, pylon eating buffoon will find a way to complement it with a 21st Century equivalent to Segs (Flashing lights so everyone knows to avoid you?), Stable Belt, Chip Hat and Leather Jacket. 🤔

FootTapper

Sergeant
My first job when I left the RAF was the universal half-way house for recovering Airman that is Serco...

The uniform was dickies dark blue cargo trousers, polo shirts and sweatshirts. Fleece jackets and dayglo waterproof parka type things on top.
It was an absolute revelation just how comfortable and practical it was for working in, while still looking "smart enough" for producers/supervisors/junior managers.

Obviously, for the military there'd need to be the provision to display rank - but the police manage it well enough.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Blue cargo trousers machine washable, dark blue shirt maybe available in short sleeve and long sleeve, wooley pulley and existing blue zipe jacket. If shiney types want to wear chipnbags and stable belts let them!
We had bloody awful hairy battle dress when I joined, so replacement was better but not perfect.
Now retired civvy I can wear casual most of the time!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Blue cargo trousers machine washable, dark blue shirt maybe available in short sleeve and long sleeve, wooley pulley and existing blue zipe jacket. If shiney types want to wear chipnbags and stable belts let them!
We had bloody awful hairy battle dress when I joined, so replacement was better but not perfect.
Now retired civvy I can wear casual most of the time!
I've worn trousers twice since mid-march!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My guess is that most of the workforce in the RAF will have suggested something similar to cargo pant, polo shirt and fleece.

The decision makers will totally ignore the results of the questionnaire and do their own thing anyway. How does the average working Erk know what would be best ?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Took years for the light blue short sleeved shirt to come in, officially, even then certain superiors would mark you down for not being smart enough to be a SNCO.

4everAD

Sergeant
Took years for the light blue short sleeved shirt to come in, officially, even then certain superiors would mark you down for not being smart enough to be a SNCO.
But wearing a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up and no tie was fine 🤣

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
It was mentioned on the AFCAS survey, the cheap chinese shite that we procure at the moment isnt fit for purpose, the trousers don't last before they either fall apart of bits fall off, the shirts are cheap and shit, they go see through after a few months, the shoes fall apart. i've never worn a jumper in the last 20 years even though they relaxed the rule about having a tie on, the jacket pockets falling apart has been fixed but its still a shit design. I don't want to wear combats as i'm not in the ARMY, we need to have our own identity.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All of our shirts used to be produced by Ben Sherman so why not go the whole hog and go Ben Sherman Mod stylee.

They even do Harrington Jackets with a RAF roundel already embroidered on them so match that up with a pique polo, a pair of chinos and a pair of Doc Martens and we have a winning combination 👍🏻

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
All of our shirts used to be produced by Ben Sherman so why not go the whole hog and go Ben Sherman Mod stylee.

They even do Harrington Jackets with a RAF roundel already embroidered on them so match that up with a pique polo, a pair of chinos and a pair of Doc Martens and we have a winning combination 👍🏻
Just as long as it has the word "tailored" in front of the garment then it should be acceptable to the Zobs. Blue "tailored" chaps with side pouches anyone :ROFLMAO: ?????

norfolkred1

Sergeant
It was mentioned on the AFCAS survey, the cheap chinese shite that we procure at the moment isnt fit for purpose, the trousers don't last before they either fall apart of bits fall off, the shirts are cheap and shit, they go see through after a few months, the shoes fall apart. i've never worn a jumper in the last 20 years even though they relaxed the rule about having a tie on, the jacket pockets falling apart has been fixed but its still a shit design. I don't want to wear combats as i'm not in the ARMY, we need to have our own identity.
Buy cheap buy twice.

If the MOD wanted a Cat, they would buy a dog and put a mod on it.