• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tranche 2 redundees... last possible day in service... done!

G

Gord

Hopefully all these who left under either tranche have gone onto bigger and better things.

My rank/trade wasn't in the frame, but I suspect many would have applied if it had have been.

Although I have no evidence to back up the rumours I'm hearing, there are several trades losing people in quantities that would worry most, however, the next General Election is less than 2 years away and I, for one, expect the MOD to get another reaming once the next Government is in office. PVR is much cheaper on the MOD budget, an easy way to get the numbers down and if the Airships start to worry then they can always throw the notice levels to 12 or even 18 months. In years to come, those joining now will look back and say "Back in my day, there were 31,000 of us, look at it now".

I'm also reminded of the comments of a former TS and it went something like, Give me someone with 3 yrs in rank over someone with 8-9 years in rank anyday. Mine was not the only jaw to hit the ground that day.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: When I was in there were close to 160,000 of us.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
...I'm also reminded of the comments of a former TS and it went something like, Give me someone with 3 yrs in rank over someone with 8-9 years in rank anyday. Mine was not the only jaw to hit the ground that day.

This is common thinking in the industrial and commercial setting. It simply means if you are not on the "up escalator", there are probably two reasons:

1. You have been continually deemed not good enough for advancement by someone, in which case you can be replaced by someone who is, and your space freed up for someone more ambitious

2. You are not interested in stepping up - rationale 1 also applies.

The life of the organism always takes priority over that of the individual. Makes sense in the wider analysis as well.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
This is common thinking in the industrial and commercial setting. It simply means if you are not on the "up escalator", there are probably two reasons:

1. You have been continually deemed not good enough for advancement by someone, in which case you can be replaced by someone who is, and your space freed up for someone more ambitious

2. You are not interested in stepping up - rationale 1 also applies.

The life of the organism always takes priority over that of the individual. Makes sense in the wider analysis as well.

you forgot to add this:

3. You are too valuable in your current role and have accrued significant expertise, hence you will be overlooked for promotion since it will be nigh-on impossible to replace you :) but we may give you a bonus to retain your services

FootTapper

Sergeant
The trick is to go and find a job as soon as there is a hint of redundancies. That way, when you're called in to get your brown envelope (or email or text these days), it coincides with another job offer hitting the doormat.

Wouldn't it be nice to be called in and sit and listen to the bollox about how valuable you've been and so on - but we don't want you any more - and walk out with a pay-off and a new job to boot. It's never happened to anyone I know (including me) but l stay optimistic...

I didn't walk out of getting my letter with a new job already, but I had started the new job 3 weeks before I finished service in the RAF.

It does feel a little weird to think it's 12 months since I won the lottery, the time has flown past in a blink.

So far I've left the RAF, got a job, split with the long term GF, moved out, moved into a mate's spare room, got a house, moved in to new house... It's been a busy time!

There are some bits I miss, but I'm working on a RAF base as a civvie, working with RAF some of the time - so it's not a complete change. Also - the crewroom banter in my place is exactly the same :)

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Downsizer... he may not be illegally occupying his quarter... if you were a compulsory, you get 3 months after your last day of service (an argument I had with DHE... just in case) which, if he stayed until the bitter end would work out as Sept 12th. However; if he was a volunteer, he should have left his quarter on his last day of service... which would now be over 6 months ago!

HTB

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I didn't walk out of getting my letter with a new job already, but I had started the new job 3 weeks before I finished service in the RAF.

It does feel a little weird to think it's 12 months since I won the lottery, the time has flown past in a blink.

So far I've left the RAF, got a job, split with the long term GF, moved out, moved into a mate's spare room, got a house, moved in to new house... It's been a busy time!

There are some bits I miss, but I'm working on a RAF base as a civvie, working with RAF some of the time - so it's not a complete change. Also - the crewroom banter in my place is exactly the same :)

Yeah, it's definitely been an upheaval over the last 12 months! :raf:

I found a job which started early, as a bonus I had the pleasure of walking into the boss's office and announcing that I had a job starting in 4 weeks time... by the way I've got 5 weeks of resettlement leave to take, so I won't be in tomorrow! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

After starting the job, I had to find a place to rent in my new home town, whilst being on a training course for my new job in a different part of the country to where I was planning to settle and where my family were. Once we were in my new place, we then had to look for a place to buy... as my redundancy payment made getting a mortgage cheaper than renting!

But, just in time for the 12 month point, I'm in my new house, loving my new house and can't help smiling every time I get out of bed!

HTB

kawoloki

Sergeant
The trick is to go and find a job as soon as there is a hint of redundancies. That way, when you're called in to get your brown envelope (or email or text these days), it coincides with another job offer hitting the doormat.

Wouldn't it be nice to be called in and sit and listen to the bollox about how valuable you've been and so on - but we don't want you any more - and walk out with a pay-off and a new job to boot. It's never happened to anyone I know (including me) but l stay optimistic...

That was my plan. Unfortunately when I was called into the Wing Commanders office I was told 'I have no letter to give you'.

After the appeal failed I PVR'd anyway to take the job I had lined up. Glad I did even if I ended up 70k lighter than I hoped.