• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tranche 2 redundees... last possible day in service... done!

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
12 Months ago today, I was called in to see the Wing Commander and be given a blue letter.

Unfortunately, this wasn't a promotion offer... it was compulsory redundancy (although some would argue that becoming a Mr is the best promotion!).

If I had stayed until the very last day, my last day of service would have been yesterday. However; in my case, I was offered a new job to start in November, so I opted to bring my leaving date forward.

I noticed the date today and it got me thinking...

How have all the other redundees out there fared? Have you found jobs? Have you moved on from the RAF? Do you miss it at all?

All those still serving... how have your jobs changed as a result of the redundancies? Have you had replacements posted in yet? Do you wish you'd been selected? :pDT_Xtremez_31:

HTB

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
12 months already, no way it's been that long HTB, blimey it seems far less time has elapsed, hope you and the wind farms are happy together. Oh and some balding old civvy git with a dodgy ticker has nicked your water butt from your allotment.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
There were no redundancies in my rank and trade (unfortunately). However around 60 TG17 Sgts have PVRd since that day in January. I am one of them.

Apparantly though "Promotion is buoyant" for TG17, and there are "no concerns" from the higher echalons that the amount of lost experience is being replaced by some JNCOs who, in the normal cycle, wouldnt get a sniff at SNCO for 3-4 years.

If the same is being repeated across the trades (and if TG1 are comfortably promoting the 200th best SAC or Cpl, then I suspect it is), then I fear for those left behind.

My TG wasn't hit although I would have taken the money and ran, so to speak. I tend to think that some people didn't want to leave, some did, and for me the more people that do leave the better chance of me going further up the ranks, if they promote that is. I have seen them let good hardworking SACs go out the door and keep the ones who do the bare minimum in??

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
If the same is being repeated across the trades (and if TG1 are comfortably promoting the 200th best SAC or Cpl, then I suspect it is), then I fear for those left behind.

Yes it is happening like that in TG1, some of the promotions I can't believe. The lack of trade knowledge is staggering these days. Project Zeus and 3 year promotions/postings are crippling us.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was one of those people who had the interveiw and letter to say i was no longer needed. after a long fight to get my family under one roof again before i left (wife in the mob and delocated at the time) got my move and found a good job on decent money without all the bulls**t.
I had my last working day at the start of march and havent looked back, yesterday was a bit sad but at the end of the day im better off as a result of what happened.
Hopefully everyone else in the same boat is getting on as well.
The one thing that i miss is some of the banter but i it makes me sad to see the mess that is left behind for those who either choose to stay or who just cant leave for whatever reason.
The best thing now is that if i dont like my job i can go and get a new one, master of my own destiny now and it feels good. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The trick is to go and find a job as soon as there is a hint of redundancies. That way, when you're called in to get your brown envelope (or email or text these days), it coincides with another job offer hitting the doormat.

Wouldn't it be nice to be called in and sit and listen to the bollox about how valuable you've been and so on - but we don't want you any more - and walk out with a pay-off and a new job to boot. It's never happened to anyone I know (including me) but l stay optimistic...

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
There were no redundancies in my rank and trade (unfortunately). However around 60 TG17 Sgts have PVRd since that day in January. I am one of them.Apparantly though "Promotion is buoyant" for TG17, and there are "no concerns" from the higher echalons that the amount of lost experience is being replaced by some JNCOs who, in the normal cycle, wouldnt get a sniff at SNCO for 3-4 years.If the same is being repeated across the trades (and if TG1 are comfortably promoting the 200th best SAC or Cpl, then I suspect it is), then I fear for those left behind.
And it's not just Sgts in TG17 who are banging out......

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I know - I believe the total no of TG17 who are leaving early is into 3 figures. FSs leaving early means extra Sgts being promoted (on top of those who've had enough), some of whom would not normally be ready, which in turn leaves extra gaps for JNCOs to fill etc etc. All of a sudden we have a trade that has personnel being selected that wouldnt normally, and there is no "bedding in" for those guys, as a newly promoted Sgt can be posted in to replace a vastly experienced one.

Its a statement for sure. 20% of your manpower at a particular level submitting their notice in such a short period would concern me if I was the Branch/Trade Sponsor, and promoting others in large numbers is a "sticking plaster" solution. Despite what is said about TG17 and the pay banding process, degree and CIPD-qualified HR Managers earn a very good wage outside.

Last edited:

stereolab

Station Cashier
I know - I believe the total no of TG17 who are leaving early is into 3 figures. FSs leaving early means extra Sgts being promoted (on top of those who've had enough), some of whom would not normally be ready, which in turn leaves extra gaps for JNCOs to fill etc etc. All of a sudden we have a trade that has personnel being selected that wouldnt normally, and there is no "bedding in" for those guys, as a newly promoted Sgt can be posted in to replace a vastly experienced one.

Its a statement for sure. 20% of your manpower at a particular level submitting their notice in such a short period would concern me if I was the Branch/Trade Sponsor, and promoting others in large numbers is a "sticking plaster" solution. Despite what is said about TG17 and the pay banding process, degree and CIPD-qualified HR Managers earn a very good wage outside.

What percentage of TG17 though are qualified to either Degree or CIPD level? I personally never bothered for qualifications when I was in. People will always walk out the door, and unready candidates will take advantage, but ultimately the customer suffers. Does the TS actually visit units these days, I never met one in my 24 years. Losing such high percentages of senior NCOs makes very alarming reading, and under-experienced replacements will always be behind the dragcurve.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
My new life is coming together pretty well... obviously the bank were more than happy to give me a mortgage considering the size of payout I got... and bought myself a nice house in a nice touristy location.

My job is turning out pretty well. Pay isn't brilliant... but it's enough to pay the bills. However; the work life balance is fantastic!

I occasionally miss the RAF, but I work with enough ex-RAF guys that the banter is still there.

Tin Basher... you might as well steal my old water butt... after all, you probably did more work on my plot than I did sometimes! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

If you were one of those who were made redundant (as opposed to asking for it) I hope your life comes together as well as mine seems to be doing right now!

For those left in... I hope you either find yourself able to cope with whatever sh1t comes your way... or your promotion to civvy comes along and has a transition as easy as mine has turned out to be!

HTB

Hopefully all these who left under either tranche have gone onto bigger and better things.

My rank/trade wasn't in the frame, but I suspect many would have applied if it had have been.

Although I have no evidence to back up the rumours I'm hearing, there are several trades losing people in quantities that would worry most, however, the next General Election is less than 2 years away and I, for one, expect the MOD to get another reaming once the next Government is in office. PVR is much cheaper on the MOD budget, an easy way to get the numbers down and if the Airships start to worry then they can always throw the notice levels to 12 or even 18 months. In years to come, those joining now will look back and say "Back in my day, there were 31,000 of us, look at it now".

I'm also reminded of the comments of a former TS and it went something like, Give me someone with 3 yrs in rank over someone with 8-9 years in rank anyday. Mine was not the only jaw to hit the ground that day.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
I'm also reminded of the comments of a former TS and it went something like, Give me someone with 3 yrs in rank over someone with 8-9 years in rank anyday. Mine was not the only jaw to hit the ground that day.

The TS has his views.....guess it depends on the overall context and the future 'character types' he is after,,, for instance, after 3 yrs in rank individuals should have mastered the majority their rank has to challenge them with (I'm not talking about experience on a aircraft type or other specific disciplines - that's another story).

Also when individuals are relatively new they are more easily influenced /cajoled etc by those further up the food chain ( because they are still either keen or a little green). Those who are generally more senior tend to be more worldly wise and cynical at times , because they've been there and got the T-shirt..... So from the TS' ( and other officer types) perspective his job is made slighltly easier, ironically.

The respective TS will always give a skewed view of the 'shape' and experience in the RAF , they are part of the decision making process so why should we be surprised.

On a more positive note I know of no-one who has left in the last 2 yrs who is worse off than their days in 'blue'...

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My new life is coming together pretty well... obviously the bank were more than happy to give me a mortgage considering the size of payout I got... and bought myself a nice house in a nice touristy location.

My job is turning out pretty well. Pay isn't brilliant... but it's enough to pay the bills. However; the work life balance is fantastic!

I occasionally miss the RAF, but I work with enough ex-RAF guys that the banter is still there.

Tin Basher... you might as well steal my old water butt... after all, you probably did more work on my plot than I did sometimes! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

If you were one of those who were made redundant (as opposed to asking for it) I hope your life comes together as well as mine seems to be doing right now!

For those left in... I hope you either find yourself able to cope with whatever sh1t comes your way... or your promotion to civvy comes along and has a transition as easy as mine has turned out to be!

HTB

Good on you fella, at least you aren't like one loser Cpl here who is now illegally occupying his MQ!

Had the interview and letter this time last year. Never went back to work. Spent the last year sorting out my house and spending time with the family - time that I previously couldn't spend with them due to service. Now out at work, in a job that I enjoy, although the salary isn't great but the work life-balance is certainly better and I don't deploy.

E

enginesuck

How did you get away with that ? Doesnt seem fair that you had a year off for free