• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thieving Fire Fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flt Lt Badminton-Squash

I believe Twonston Pickle has the correct amount, 5% is fair assessment when you take into account all that we have endure within the Armed Forces (time away, etc!).

This has been a very good thread with comments from all sides.

Anyway, just a thought...

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Just another thought. Perhaps we should set up an "independent" panel to set the future pay rises and conditions for our beloved, hard working politicians?
They could then "modernise" just like we all have.
I'd make a start with slashing their (£120k pa) expenses...........
Feel free to add.

S

Sunnyside_Up

Recieved a random phonecall today- Fire Service requesting Military assistance because of the incident down at Hemel Hempstead. Having shot this request down to Strike, the answer was a kurt "no".

Anyone else recieve any pleas from the Fire Fighters?

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
Sunnyside_Up said:
Recieved a random phonecall today- Fire Service requesting Military assistance because of the incident down at Hemel Hempstead. Having shot this request down to Strike, the answer was a kurt "no".

So are we to believe that you Sunnyside were personally approached by the UK fire service to sanction the provision of military assistance to help tackle the Hemel Hempstead blaze?

Who at strike turned down down the request?

Is it common practice for the fire service to send out "random" pleas for help? :rolleyes:

B

Bluntend

Sunnyside_Up said:

Now, maybe I'm just a suspicious ba$t@rd, but it seems to me that Sunshine here has rather too many questions and not enough opinions...here and on other threads. So, would that be 'Sunnyside' as in 'Red' and 'Up' as in 'Top' perhaps?

Now, I will wind my neck in Sunnyside if you're not in fact Journo Scum, but your last post does seem a tad inflammatory (so to speak). Looking for a 'Fire Service vs Armed Forces scoop' perhaps? At a time when the Hemel Heampstead fire is featuring in all the papers and every news broadcast, would 'Army refuse to help fight Europe's biggest blaze' sell a few extra papers...? :mad:

If you're not a journalist scouring these forums looking for your next 'scoop' and are in fact blue-suit, it doesn't do us any favours if we paint ourselves as un-cooperative with the UKFS. If the request for help was indeed genuine and the STC's response was as you say a 'kurt' no, I am sure there is a very valid reason for it. As has been discussed at length here on this thread, only putting forward one side of the argument helps no one.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
Bluntend said:
Now, maybe I'm just a suspicious ba$t@rd, but it seems to me that Sunshine here has rather too many questions and not enough opinions...here and on other threads. So, would that be 'Sunnyside' as in 'Red' and 'Up' as in 'Top' perhaps?

Now, I will wind my neck in Sunnyside if you're not in fact Journo Scum, but your last post does seem a tad inflammatory (so to speak). Looking for a 'Fire Service vs Armed Forces scoop' perhaps? At a time when the Hemel Heampstead fire is featuring in all the papers and every news broadcast, would 'Army refuse to help fight Europe's biggest blaze' sell a few extra papers...? :mad:

Chuckle chuckle. Waiting for the fireworks on this one :D , I think Sunnyside is an Ops bod over in air tragic.

B

Bluntend

"I think Sunnyside is an Ops bod over in air tragic"

Ahh, that might also explain the 'lots of questions and no opinions' theory... :p

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Sunny, me old mucka. That was a crap attempt at a ruck. Are you going to answer the questions set of you on the thread? No? Thought not.

As a brief footnote to the Hemel fire, 3 of the first stations attending are to close next year. 2 are to have night time cover reduced by 50%.
Hertfordshire also got rid of all of its foam tenders and reduced its foam stocks on cost grounds.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I'll probably get slaughtered for this.....

I'll probably get slaughtered for this.....

.....so you think we were greedy....

Fury as London fire chiefs award themselves whopping pay increases despite forcing through cuts in service

LONDON FIRE BRIGADE chiefs have provoked uproar after awarding themselves yet another inflation-busting pay increase, despite trying to impose cuts throughout the rest of the service. The proposed rises, which are almost certain to be rubber-stamped at January’s fire authority meeting, will come as a kick in the teeth to London’s firefighters, who were forced to take to picket lines three years ago in an attempt to secure a modest pay rise.

London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA) leaders recently forked out £90,000 to a firm of consultants to undertake a pay review for senior staff and the subsequent increases are likely to cost the taxpayer around a quarter of a million pounds. Following publication of the review, Commissioner Ken Knight will recommend to the fire authority that his pay increase by a whopping £26,000 - a 17.5% rise which takes his annual salary to £175,000. Knight provoked similar fury in 2002 when, as chief officer of West Midlands fire service, a behind-closed-doors meeting of the fire authority decided to award him an 18% increase. News of that rise broke just days before firefighters went on strike for better pay. This means that, in just over three years, Knight has seen his pay rocket by a massive £84,000 (92%). During the same period, Knight has been a driving force behind fire service employers' attempts to hold down firefighters' pay.

Knight’s deputy, Roy Bishop, will receive a £16,000 (13.5%) increase, taking his pay to £135,000, whilst London’s assistant commissioners are also in line for a substantial hike. Currently earning a generous £95,000 a year, five of the six ACs across the capital will see their pay increase by a handsome £15,000 (15.5%), taking their annual earnings to £110,000. Luckier still is AC Ron Dobson, who, in his new role as the brigade’s “third officer”, will be the recipient of a bumper £25,700 increase (27%), propelling his annual earnings to £121,000.

The brigade’s leading main grade staff are also the beneficiaries of bountiful pay rises. The director of corporate services, Rita Dexter, will be £11,666 (12%) a year better off and the head of human resources, James Dalgleish, the man who represents the brigade in negotiations with the FBU and has in the past justified the regular paltry increases in London weighting awarded to London’s firefighters, is the recipient of a £7,700 (8.3%) increase, seeing his pay shoot up to £100,000.

The Organiser first warned about the proposed pay hikes for brigade chiefs back in September, when we revealed how LFEPA councillors had voted themselves a colossal 600% increase in expenses over four years and had commissioned another review of top bosses’ pay. A similar review just four years earlier recommended a 17% increase in the pay of the then chief officer, Brian Robinson. Robinson retired just eighteen months later, the pay review having helped secure him a lump sum commutation of £300,000. Critics say it is no coincidence that Ken Knight is also due to retire next year. By serving twelve months at the new rate of pay, Knight will be eligible to retire with a tax-free lump sum of around £380,000.

Speaking about the controversy, the FBU's executive council member for London, Mick Shaw, said, “I am astounded that the same politicians who last year closed a fire station and cut fire crews in order to save money now appear to think that it is okay to spend a quarter of a million pounds to give fire bosses massive pay hikes and huge pension entitlements. My members and most of the public would love to be able to submit reports to their employer recommending inflation-busting pay rises for themselves. It is a scandal.”

T

Twonston Pickle

I see your point and agree that they cannot justify that kind of pay rise when most public sector workers (miltary included) are likely to get 2%, as recommended by Mr Brown to most pay boards. Time to strike again.........? (I wouldn't mind covering for you this time just to see the smug grins wiped of the politicians and bosses faces)

firestorm

Warrant Officer
This won't lead to a strike...(i hope) and if it did the Government would just screw you over anyway.
Thanks for the comment though.
I was just showing what greedy b@stards we work for.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Aren't the strikes about pensions? The Fire Brigades Union says it will consider industrial action over government plans to reform pensions.

Firefighters can currently retire at 50 but the government wants to raise the pension age to 60 for new starters. Sound familiar? although the ages are differnet.
The FBU has said it is "fundamentally opposed" to the reforms, which "would create a workforce with two-tier benefits with a worse pension for new entrants".

But the government is keen to cut the cost of the fire brigade scheme.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
The other public sector pensions have been "ring fenced" they keep their entitlements. The firefighters for some reason (i wonder what that is!?) have been singled out for special measures.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Hello to one and all...again.

Hello to one and all...again.

Can I just stir the hornets nest with this scrap of info on our bosses?

Londons Chief Officer has just awarded himself a £26k a year pay rise...just before he retires, raising his tax free lump sum from £300 000 to £380 000.
He has seen his pay rise by 92% in a little over 3 years.
I have more if anyone's interested, if not I'll just shut up!

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

firestorm said:
Can I just stir the hornets nest with this scrap of info on our bosses?

Londons Chief Officer has just awarded himself a £26 a year pay rise...just before he retires, raising his tax free lump sum from £300 000 to £380 000.
He has seen his pay rise by 92% in a little over 3 years.
I have more if anyone's interested, if not I'll just shut up!

just £26? that's very noble of him, and a very suspicious way of upping his lump sum by 80k

S

Standards

TheHogwartsBEngO said:
just £26? that's very noble of him, and a very suspicious way of upping his lump sum by 80k

He must have invested it very wisely!

Standards!

Status
Not open for further replies.