• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The RAF - No room for 'Guys'

norfolkred1

Sergeant
So glad I left all this shoite behind back in 2008.

I bet she was best recruit at Swinditz.

She would have had a fit doing her drivers course at Saints when marching back after work. Where the DI's would shout 'ladies at the front, open yer legs, nowts gonna fall out'

Funny isn't it....how good people who weren't doing anything wrong are now pulled up and frowned upon by these types and categorised as racists, xenophobes, mysoginists etc etc. Bloody glad I'm out of it too. I couldn't have served or done my job correctly whilst being forced to constantly tread on eggshells.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Funny isn't it....how good people who weren't doing anything wrong are now pulled up and frowned upon by these types and categorised as racists, xenophobes, mysoginists etc etc. Bloody glad I'm out of it too. I couldn't have served or done my job correctly whilst being forced to constantly tread on eggshells.
It's not that bad mate.

Just a vocal minority filling their Sjars with awareness and posters putting a microscope on problems that aren't there.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I've never been in a section with issues on race, sexuality gender etc...

Think a lot of this stuff comes from shower thoughts and not real life.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Last week WO Sara Catterall, Command Senior Enlisted Leader at NATO AIRCOM, RAF Diversity Ally & Gender Advisor (try fitting that on a name-tag) announced via Twitter that RAF personnel should refrain from using the term 'guys' when addressing groups of people
Moving it up a level according to the Mail

The Ministry of Defence's new £110,000-a-year diversity chief a Ms Samantha de Forges is taking aim at 'sexist' ranks in the armed forces including rifleman and airman. She's leading a review into military titles which will happen next year.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

The Ministry of Defence's new £110,000-a-year diversity chief a Ms Samantha de Forges is taking aim at 'sexist' ranks in the armed forces including rifleman and airman. She's leading a review into military titles which will happen next year.
Oh well, here we go again, I would be asking one simple question... How many women/young ladies/females have actually been put off joining because of the 'sexist' rank title? And do the services really need people who are so flimsy as to be put off by those titles when thousands have accepted and risen through them to the top already? Do the numbers really justify the expense of a the review or is she just trying to justify her £110,000?

Dan_Brown

Sergeant

Yup, the term 'manpower' is no longer acceptable too, 'workforce' is the acceptable term! I guess no more man hours etc.

It's gotten ridiculous and people are still unsure what is correct to say.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
My own sibling has swallowed this woke bullshit up as well. Visiting him this weekend, a few beers in I used the phrase uttered in many a crewroom / classroom / shop floor that what had just happened on the TV was 'a bit Gay'.....

'Dear Brother, please don't use that term as slander as my neighbours are of the homosexual persuasion and my window is open.....'

I looked at him slightly pertubed by his utterance before explaining to him to not be so stupid, that it is just a word and that words only have power with context or if you let them. I may have also called him a big bummer. 😂👍

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Fair chunk of cash being wasted if this is the type of intervention she’s going to focus on, there’s already plenty of non gendered terms in general use in the military.

But then again this is the daily mail (on line) so probably focussing on one aspect that it knows will bring in finger fall to drive its ad revenue.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I’ve noticed a small number of my woke colleagues addding ‘(he, him)’ into signature blocks and LinkedIn profiles. I’ve no idea why?

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The MAA replaced manpower with personnel throughout all the RA's etc, which meant all AMO's had to go through all their support documents and amend them accordingly.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
If they are going to do it they should do it properly. The lot:

All ranks with *Man suffix removed
Sister, matron etc... gone
Chief is racist, call it something else
All groups that require an un-choosable(Is that the right word?) characteristic (Gender, sexuality, race etc) to be disbanded as they are not inclusive.
No mention of age, gender, sexuality, race on SJARS
Fitness test levels to be consistent across all Genders and Age.
1 uniform, no speciality extras for different genders such as high heels, skirts, hats etc... (Apart from turbans and other religious necessities)
Accommodation blocks are accommodation blocks. no segregation,
Ablutions, mixed.
Messes removed, 1 central dining and drinking establishment accessible to all.
All grooming standards equal across the board. Hair, makeup jewellery etc...

That's just off the top of my head. Equality should be that, Equal. Not picking and choosing to suit.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If they are going to do it they should do it properly. The lot:

All ranks with *Man suffix removed
Sister, matron etc... gone
Chief is racist, call it something else
All groups that require an un-choosable(Is that the right word?) characteristic (Gender, sexuality, race etc) to be disbanded as they are not inclusive.
No mention of age, gender, sexuality, race on SJARS
Fitness test levels to be consistent across all Genders and Age.
1 uniform, no speciality extras for different genders such as high heels, skirts, hats etc... (Apart from turbans and other religious necessities)
Accommodation blocks are accommodation blocks. no segregation,
Ablutions, mixed.
Messes removed, 1 central dining and drinking establishment accessible to all.
All grooming standards equal across the board. Hair, makeup jewellery etc...

That's just off the top of my head. Equality should be that, Equal. Not picking and choosing to suit.
If the MOD are taking this seriously, the words "Sir" and "Ma'am" should also be not used as the person you are addressing may not identify as male/female.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This pronoun lunacy in email signatures is taking off at my workplace.

Apparently though, using the pronouns "It" and "Thing" in an email signature block leads to a formal warning.

These diversity rules are not accepting of my Itness and Thingness. It's just so unfair.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
This pronoun lunacy in email signatures is taking off at my workplace.

Apparently though, using the pronouns "It" and "Thing" in an email signature block leads to a formal warning.

These diversity rules are not accepting of my Itness and Thingness. It's just so unfair.
If you identify as an It or a Thing who are they to discipline you?

Seems very dangerous that