• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The good old days.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Pinched from another site.

1980’s RAF life Nicked from Ian Todd

Nicked....Not as advanced as some in years, but many memories...yes I can relate....Good times...

I wonder how many ex-RAF members of advanced years can relate to this?

• When obscure form numbers like - 1369, 6442 and 252 could mean career-changing moments.
• When bizarre uniform items such as the thunderbird jacket and the flasher mac
• When the glorious anonymity of JTs, SACs and LACs before they introduced rank slides for airmen
• When colleagues were posted to RAF stations that nobody knew existed (i.e. ‘Machrihanish? Never heard of it – are you sure it’s not a wind-up?’)
• When the ’back of the bike sheds’ was considered an appropriate location for career counselling.
• When wearing medals was considered the particular right of the lucky few silver jubilee recipients or the handful from the South Atlantic.
• When OOA tours meant 4 months limited to communication by ambiguous means such as ASMA, the bluey or a cable and wireless phone card.
• When the question ‘Where the hell is Decimomannu?’ at least stood a remote chance of being answered.
• When crewrooms were occupied and people partook of unintelligible games like Uckers and ‘Hunt’
• When an RAF aircraft recognition poster was larger than A4 size
• When you remember curious anomalies such as male only stations (eg Wattisham)
• When anything Soviet was ‘bad’ and anything NATO was ‘good’
• When you drove around with BFG plates
• When you witnessed a survival scramble or spent some time in an HPS.
• When QRA that involved ‘instant sunshine’ and the ‘two-man principle’ in the ‘no-lone zone’
• When your NBC suit came with a detachable hood.
• When being issued with DPM kit seemed quite exciting.
• When Friday lunchtime (afternoon) was spent in the pub (in uniform)
• When doughnuts on day 3 or 4 of an exercise had particular significance
• When ‘AOC’s’ meant an enormous parade (and if you were lucky enough to be at Lossie, repeated 3 times)
• When some lucky people had the pleasure of being recruited as FLMs and TAGs.
• When you had access to a variety of personal weapons that seemed to have come out of Battle Picture Library (303, SLR, SMG etc)
• When you got 3 x Get you home (where-ever home was that day) a year.
• Baby's heads
• Being scared of rock apes
• Seeing plumbers running and thinking "hope it's the NAAFI wagon"
• Seeing aircrew running, and KNOWING it was the NAAFI wagon!!
• Itchy blankets
• Cheap beer in a busy NAFFI
• When MT had fleets of British built vehicles
• Wearing Gas Masks for hours at a time
• When an MoD civilian being a very rare breed indeed
• Blue uniforms
• When RAF push bikes had the basket on the front.
• Mod Plods
• Stations without fences
• Doing Fire Bucket
• The tiniest sliding windows in Guardrooms
• Tin Helmets
• When your whole world could be put into a couple of scrawny lockers.
• When only TG1 and TG2 were on the high payband
• Pickaxe handles to fight off the Commies
• Singing in the bar
• SACWs who could write backwards on glass walls
• Thinking SAMA was neat 'cause it could tell you your leave balance
• Starting night shift at 4pm, finishing at 8pm.
• Starting night shift at 4pm, finishing at 8am!
• Having the choice between a tech charge and a 'quiet word' with the FS
• Station Workshops who could make anything for a crate of beer.
• The knowledge that we really were defending the country

Good Times?

The best times!!

I'm a citizen not a subject

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Couldn’t agree more. Life was so much simpler in those days. You were either working, getting drunk or preparing to get very drunk. And we knew who the enemy was......

Happy days indeed (I still miss my Thunderbirds jacket).

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Worth a steal that one.

Thursday night bop in the shag and Shuffle.
JRM Christmas bash in a shirt and tie where everyone attended and back to the Colonel for Mechanical Horse trough or similar band
The SWO with a stick and not afraid to point it at anyone inc Zobs
the Fresh clean sheets once a week, no duvets in them days.
Block Bull nights with a hoover, just a hand buffer and the corner of a blanket.
Billet orderly
Beer calls (do they still have them)
The Thursday morning blur after Wednesday Sports afternoon spent in Rugby Club.

Must be loads more.

dkh51250

Sergeant
Weekly Thursday morning pay parades, not a stroke of work done until the shekels had changed hands.

Straight to the block after work on a Thursday, watching the three card brag "experts" losing yet another weeks pay.

MFO Boxes.

Sirens, gongs, and klaxons, serenading us simultaneously at dark o' clock, followed by the dulcet tones of the Bomber Controller.

Trade assistant generals (TAGs) working as gash hands in most sections.

C stores that had to be signed for.

Checking SROs for members of the WRAF posted in.

Recovering from a hangover, spread out on top of sheets of rubberised hair, hidden in a dark corner.

Returning from numerous locations, lock in clubs, nurses homes, distant towns, girlfriends flats, etc,grabbing a shower proceeding to the section and hiding.

Alternatively, going to work and covering for those who had returned from numerous locations.

Professional SACs, sometimes 22 years and more.

Knowing what SE, 02, 05, & 15 meant to my social life when on exercise.

Last edited:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
TACEVALS
Bean Stealing
Duty Supper
POL lockers with trike (trichloroethane)
MT rarely never had a vehicle that you couldn't use
I knew what XG271 was (can't remember now though, anyone know?)

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
TACEVALS
I knew what XG271 was (can't remember now though, anyone know?)

It was a Hawker Hunter FGA9 that was written off on the 13/7/61 at RAF Sylt in West Germany following an aborted take off and barrier engagement that resulted in a fire and the aircraft was assessed as Cat 5.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
While undergoing some further career training I once wandered into a town in an evening where the conversation with some locals moved around somewhat to the point that I was forced to announce that I flew 1771’s at night...strangely, it got me nowhere!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Quotethingy stopped working on my machine - again!.

Anyway; Rigga. The 1771 was the only RAF form I could fill in correctly first time. I used to get the **** taken out of me for it. The sort of line being that "even the shineys used to ring me up and ask for general advice on; what could be claimed for, how much, by who and the circumstances..."

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Flexible laminated 1250 that had a multitude of uses.......and a little buff torn off slip that you carried around when on leave......to let those if you were asked, know that you weren't AWOL.......

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Christmas 'Round Robin' Hercules calling by your base and picking up/kicking off.
Post Airshow departures that bent the rules.
Bomb-disposal Bombheads posing around the station during Tacevals in their Scorpion.
Running the JRM SNCO and/or SWO's ire by wearing brown safety boots and blues around the station.
Volleyball with overalls tied around the waist outside the line when time/weather allowed.
Gizzit hunting...stealing anything shiney for the crewroom at home or abroad and largely getting away with it.
Zapping stuff.
Bodge tape and Kimwipe...in everyone's shed for a multitude of uses.
Getting your leave pass signed and you rleave on the section year planner then sneaking into office later to remove the form and claiming ignorance if found out *ahem*.
Making leaving gifts out of various parts of an aircraft...often worth thousands in reals terms.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Early career - Selling my Travel Warrants to needy scaleys for a tenner!
Later career - keeping completed leave warrants in a drawer until the guys came back..and tearing them up.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Early career - Selling my Travel Warrants to needy scaleys for a tenner!
Later career - keeping completed leave warrants in a drawer until the guys came back..and tearing them up.

You will truly be wafted to paradise for that old boy....

Mustang

Corporal
Shirts collar detached.(and the poxy almost unusable issue stud to attach the collar).
Serge no 2 uniforms.
Microscopic rubber ear plugs (still have them in my shooting box).
As well as everything that already been mentioned, in particular the mention of laminated 1250s and the detachable slip from leave passes made me feel my age. Bummer.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
in particular the mention of laminated 1250s and the detachable slip from leave passes made me feel my age. Bummer.

Waiting for the brown detached slip to come back from PSF knowing your leave was legit. But going on leave irrespective of any chit in your back pocket.

Putting a leave pass in to reclaim food charges but staying on camp and using mess.

Buying rail warrants from other hard up singles.

Going to PSF on Friday morning for a warrant to use for the weekend.

I'm a citizen not a subject