• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The E Goat Career Info Thread

The outcome of Tranche 2 will have some people looking at life after the blue suit today.

There are quite a few of us who have made the transition ending up in many diverse roles, and I got to wondering if there was any mileage in Goaters posting a brief description of the job/industry we now find ourselves in. Nothing too in depth, just a quick introduction to provide an opportunity for anyone considering a similar role or industry sector to gather some info. There are plenty of threads on getting CVs sorted and interviewing etc. and this will hopefully add to them by becoming a one stop shop for info on the next career.

I suggest that all requests for info are by PM to keep this thread easy to search.

So to kick it all off:

I am a Technical Support Engineer with a company who manufactures and supplies into the Road and Rail industry. 70% of my job is producing Technical and Marketing Documentation and the rest of the time I am customer facing, dealing with technical queries, bid management and customer needs mapping. I also have 'secondary duties' in Continuous Improvement and Employee Engagement.

Have a think about putting something similar up as it may just help?

Jimps

shettie

Flight Sergeant
I'm ex-TG3 - moved into Civvy St 12 years back - walked into a Network, Server, Desktop and Application Support Managers job in a Mobile Telecoms company. (Operational Systems Manager is the title...) Been outsourced 5 times, still doing approximately the same job, for the same money with the same customers. Very customer intensive, looking after a site with about 400 permanant staff and 100 or so itinerants, plus working remotely to fix issues on the East coast of England and the whole of Scotland from the site I'm on in the midlands. Leading a team of 1, after losing the 2nd to redundancy about 3 years ago.

Not to put a downer on it as I enjoy what I do - I haven't received a payrise in this post for the past 4 years...

T93

Sergeant
As per Shettie

As per Shettie

I am also EX TG3 & PVRd & out December 95 (how time flies)

I am a prime Network Performance Engineer for all RAN (Radio Access) platforms (2G GSM/3G UTRAN & 4G E-UTRAN)
on a project support team (vendor) to a major German mobile network provider owned by Telefonica.

It is difficult to quantify what I do, but, essentially, anything related to Radio Access Networks from Cell object level all the way to PLMN (National level) demarcation line is usually the interface to the Core side.

Ohhh yeah, I am contractor/external & have been for a long time.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ex TG1 and aircrew...Left 1 year ago...Now working as a project manager and phase manager for a large defence contractor. The realisation is that as a NCO/SNCO you carry out 70% of a project managers tasks on a daily basis without giving it a second thought...The ability to look at a situation and make a decision is sought after in this industry and in short supply from existing stocks...The gap in your skills to step up to a commercial position is covered 20% from courses that teach you the basic process and flow of a standard project during ressetlement and 80% doing it, fecking up, learning from it and moving onwards and upwards!

I've already helped a few Goaters and will always be happy to continue to do so...

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm an ex SAC(T) Armourer, PVR'd in 2009.

Since leaving I've worked in the UK rail industry, firstly as a maintenance fitter on diesel locomotives, then a permanent way (track inspector), then a product engineer and now as a mechanical engineering consultant for a Railway consultancy.

My work involves working with customers on engineering problems, this can range from a simple redesign of cab sunblinds to in depth work on crash repairs, new vehicle certification or the modification of rail vehicles and systems. Most of my work is in the UK but my company is looking to move into Europe soon as our parent company is DB Schenker (DB is German State Railway). My area of expertise in in railway brake systems, but I'm expanding my horizons by learning about other parts of the vehicle at the moment!

I'm also involved in supplier accreditation under the RISAS (Railway Industry Supplier Approvals Scheme) as our consultancy is a supplier approvals body. This typically involves auditing and approvals of suppliers designs, drawing or technical information and processes.

Most people holding an apprenticeship in engineering should be able to secure a fitters job in the railway, HNC/HND will see you in senior technical or engineering roles, a degree or Masters plus experience will see potential earnings over over 40K in a few years. You do need to remain flexible with regards work location to get the best jobs though.

The railway neglected technical recruitment for many years, so there are large skills gaps, particularly in the non graduate technical roles; so there are some great opportunities in the industry right now.

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Ex TG1 (the untouchable variety) and Stacker.

After wandering around in the unemployment hinterland for a good year or so I eventually fell into the express distribution business, but had to go overseas ugly to do so. Since that aprenticeship of the seventh circle of hell, I have done pretty much all the operational roles in the logistics supply chain across Europe and now I play around on the periphery of supply chain programmes development for a large foreign company, in such matters a optimisation and LEAN as well as nice niche roles in contingency network and process development and post-merger operations integration.

It all sounds very sexy but basically its just about moving huge heaps of data and stuff from A to B at the lowest cost for the best service.

The good thing about it is the longer you stay at it, the more your experience becomes valued as there is only so much that is new under the sun, and after that it comes down to experience, creativity and good old fashioned industrial bullying to get things done. I have been doing this for pretty much 16 years now and whilst the threat of getting the boot is always there, it is amazing how much people will always pay for these values plus the ability to move around the globe.

There are openings and you do need to stay flexible and mobile and not expect the RAF reincarnated when you make the leap (no-one gives a stuff who you were mostly), but the rewards do come faster than inside; that's for sure.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Ex TG14 (now TG11), and PVR'ed in 2005.

Like Vim, I also work for a major defence contractor. My job is to support the day-to-day running of the business development community as they capture new business and mature it from an opportunity into a tangible business project earning money. This involves running major business reviews, getting sign off for campaign funding, and capturing best practice in terms of business processes.

I originally started as one of the business development types, but very quickly found that a) I wasn't very good at it, and b) the company wasn't interested in an ex-SNCO's knowledge and experience - if you weren't one of the Winged Master Race then you were nobody. My role now isn't very glamorous, but it gets me involved with a lot of people, and I have the opportunity to shape the role as I see fit...

MingMong

Warrant Officer
EX TG2 Left 2 1/2 years ago. Since leaving have been working in Technical Authoring, firstly as an author, but now as project manager. Generating the Aircraft Maintenance Manuals for the A400M (the work is outsourced by Airbus to a few companies throughout Europe). The company I work for also does work for other Airbus aircraft (A380, 320, 340 etc.) as well as work for other engineering companies. Many of those I work with come from a Forces background. In my time with the company, we have employed Heavies, Lights and also an Aircrew guy.
The company regularly advertises through the CTP website. If you are thinking of going into technical authoring and want any advice then drop me a PM.

foxvc10

Corporal
Ex TG9 left in 1997. Self employed now buying/selling Aircraft, Aircraft parts etc. Had a few jobs after leaving only one was the same as I did in the RAF, the rest are much different to what I did.

The big thing I noticed is that they take one look at your CV (if well written) and they go "Cor your very experienced in a lot of things, we like that". Never been unemployed and always walked into another job when get fed up with the boneheads and arseholes who think they know better, but quite obviously dont.

Now running my own business (sort of forced into it - wifes health not good and ive got a number of little kids) and to be blunt im raking it in, and could do massively more if I spent more time on it. Took a little while to go on my own and therefore missed out on a number of what would have been very good oppourtunities if I had had the balls to go with them at the time, but I dont look back as these being wrong choices.

Being self employed I can work the hours I want to work when I want to (can do) - this fits in wth my life of looking after the kids and wife and working from home.

A couple of good pointers are get a good accountant (mine is ace and Im lucky enough to get it done at mates rates) and only do things when you are 100% happy. Downers are watch out for the tax bills, they can sting a bit when you have forgotten that you didnt pay the last one so youve got six months to cover instead of three!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Ex TG2 (Avionics) left 4½ years ago, now in the offshore sector carrying out seismic surveys on vessels all over the world. Shifts are normally 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off. Ex forces personnel are highly valued as we are used to working away from home and get on with the job and are good at over comming awkward situations. On the Seismic side there are 3 main jobs, Observer, Navigator and Mechanic. Obs and Navs are normally taken from the fairy trade and mech from riggers/sooty/bombheads. The pay is good and bonuses are available (production/extra days away) although this varies between companies.

Always happy to help/give more information if required.

Crack on................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

T

taz01

Hi tashy , can you tell me more bout mech side? Where your based, pay etc . Cheers

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Ex-TG1 SAC Tech (Mech & ex-Sooty). Came out last August, took a while to find a job after many interviews around the country. Did a ROV Pilot Tech course as part of my resettlement, but found it impossible to get a job without some experience in a particular ROV etc (Catch 22).

Finally got into Airbus as Aircraft Fitter and have been building wings (A320) at Broughton since Feb/Mar and a few weeks off getting my self-cert stamp. Better wages than what I was on as SAC/JT band 9, and a lot less hours. Just dont ask me how many holes i've drilled. Looking at internal vacancies at the moment, especially now they're looking at training up Manufacturing Engineers.

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
Ex-TG1 SAC Tech (Mech & ex-Sooty). Came out last August, took a while to find a job after many interviews around the country. Did a ROV Pilot Tech course as part of my resettlement, but found it impossible to get a job without some experience in a particular ROV etc (Catch 22).Finally got into Airbus as Aircraft Fitter and have been building wings (A320) at Broughton since Feb/Mar and a few weeks off getting my self-cert stamp. Better wages than what I was on as SAC/JT band 9, and a lot less hours. Just dont ask me how many holes i've drilled. Looking at internal vacancies at the moment, especially now they're looking at training up Manufacturing Engineers.
Malesu. Regarding Airbus, do you need any more quals apart from what we get from the RAF? Is it worth the time and money doing EASA B1 / B2 licenses for that job? How does it look for us to get a job in the Toulouse factory? Something I once read said you need to be a fluent French speaker for Tolouse vacancies, any truth in this?Thanks.

G

gemarriott

I came out 85 plumber

Worked as senior technician/chargehand for BOC at an oxygen producing plant. Very similar to working in an oil refinery. Mostly control room stuff monitoring process with 2 weeks a year deep maintainence of compressors turbines and other interesting stuff.

Following that into Urban traffic control monitoring traffic flows linking traffic lights to ease throughput, really a bit like petro chem work in that you are easing flows of cars instead of gasses. An early network of linked computers pre dating the web by a few years.

I did a degree whilst working paid for by my employer, you can't ever have too many qualifications

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Ex TG9, left the RAF in 2010. Worked as a contractor in Afghanistan for a year before getting my current job with a major aviation company. I now travel about Europe& UK teaching route planning and navigation to Air Forces and Airlines and consult on Flight Operations best working practices.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Malesu. Regarding Airbus, do you need any more quals apart from what we get from the RAF? Is it worth the time and money doing EASA B1 / B2 licenses for that job? How does it look for us to get a job in the Toulouse factory? Something I once read said you need to be a fluent French speaker for Tolouse vacancies, any truth in this?Thanks.

I just got in from quals I got from the RAF, though I also have a Degree from before I joined up, that i'll be using to try get into the Manf Engineering roles they're starting to train up.
Airbus/EADS have their own certs, but I would imagine having full licences would help getting higher roles within Airbus. Not to sure on getting a role at Tolouse, but have heard people talking about english people working there for 6 months and still being there 3 yrs later.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Ex-TG1 SAC Tech (Mech & ex-Sooty). Came out last August, took a while to find a job after many interviews around the country. Did a ROV Pilot Tech course as part of my resettlement, but found it impossible to get a job without some experience in a particular ROV etc (Catch 22).

Finally got into Airbus as Aircraft Fitter and have been building wings (A320) at Broughton since Feb/Mar and a few weeks off getting my self-cert stamp. Better wages than what I was on as SAC/JT band 9, and a lot less hours. Just dont ask me how many holes i've drilled. Looking at internal vacancies at the moment, especially now they're looking at training up Manufacturing Engineers.

Are they recruiting at Broughton currently?

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
They're recruiting another 90 at the moment. A320 are 11 wingsets behind, A380 is ramping up again after their recent snag, and A350 is slowly ramping up now that they're figuring out how to make the wings (lots of carbon fibre).

I know Morson's keep emailing/phoning me asking if I want a job.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Ex TG1 Av/El.. C/T Left 18 months ago. Am now a typed B2 LAE, in a 'Base Maint' environment work is very similar to what I have done in the RAF but its just pure job (no bullish*te), only tells half the story the civvy world tends to run rather 'tech/Eng' light, this means guys have to take on more responsibility, if things go wrong individuals can be rather exposed, since there is no 'top cover'... this also means that when things go to plan you get more recognition via the pay packet. Its no land of milk and honey but for those with a good blend of attributes and a bit of luck it can be good.

To you techie types who are now in the real world.

What courses would you recommend to the rest of us for when we are released back into the community?