• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

That dog at Scampton

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I suppose it was inevitable that the change would happen especially in today's climate.

I get the PC aspect of the change and why it has been done but it is smudging history a little. The no longer used n-word actually was the dogs name. Are we applying 21st century values to a mid 20th century situation.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's not moving on, it's airbrushing.
Just like WWII, nowadays, was against the Nazis, not Germany.
I noticed that change of language when watching the recent ITV 3-parter on the BoB. They used Nazi rather than Germany.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not sure if I care, but rightly or wrongly, the RAF is moving on.
Like you and Downsizer I'm not sure if I'm personally that bothered either way. But some one in the hierarchy is/was bothered by it, bothered enough or pressurised enough to instigate a change of the name on a dogs headstone from an event at happened 80 years ago. Modern times

rebbonk

SAC
Stupid is as stupid does. This will come back and bite us on the ar$e.

Removing statues/graves or anything else doesn't change a damned thing, it simply hides things and that is a dangerous place to go.

Our past has made us what we are today, we should celebrate it, but also acknowledge our mistakes and identify where we might do things differently these days. We should not be removing things from sight because a few virtue signalling snowflakes get offended.

Rant over!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
617 Squadron (aka The Hole on the wall gang) have decided to rename the dog to Snigger just for a bit of a laugh.

Reactions: 6A1

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
617 Squadron (aka The Hole on the wall gang) have decided to rename the dog to Snigger just for a bit of a laugh.
Christ, that'll be even worse for the Politically Correct brigade.
A sense of humour ? Are you mad ?
Oops mental health sensitivities.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
That's not moving on, it's airbrushing.
Just like WWII, nowadays, was against the Nazis, not Germany.
How many Germans were killed or imprisoned by the Nazi? The first concentration camps were for Germans that were politically against Hitler and his nut jobs. Some people when in RAFG had their heads stuck in a bottle of Wobbly, not in knowing why there were there. No surprise.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
If the dog was alive, an aircraft electrican would have been trying to shag it. Rumour is another RAF officer saw it and run it over. Gibson wasn't loved by everyone and most people that served under Gibson or Chershire rated the later as a better leader.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How many Germans were killed or imprisoned by the Nazi? The first concentration camps were for Germans that were politically against Hitler and his nut jobs. Some people when in RAFG had their heads stuck in a bottle of Wobbly, not in knowing why there were there. No surprise.
Who voted him in ?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Who voted him in ?
I don’t think the manifesto would have included murdering the innocent and attempting to invade the rest of the world, I expect it focussed on trains, roads and industry for a country that was in a depression, then again I wasn’t around at the time so only going by what my teachers told me.

At the end of the day it’s just a dog, it wasn’t a hero, just a pet, and the only reason we all know about it is it’s rather offensive name.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

German history aside, there are many today who have no grasp of European history as a whole. Quite sad really .

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don’t think the manifesto would have included murdering the innocent and attempting to invade the rest of the world, I expect it focussed on trains, roads and industry for a country that was in a depression, then again I wasn’t around at the time so only going by what my teachers told me.

At the end of the day it’s just a dog, it wasn’t a hero, just a pet, and the only reason we all know about it is it’s rather offensive name.
He wrote a book about it, beforehand.
There should have been no surprises.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Ah, so your defence is the German people are stupid ?
The information was out there, they just didn't bother.
No the Germans were normal people and normal people don’t read obscure political literature when they can’t afford to put food on the table.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No the Germans were normal people and normal people don’t read obscure political literature when they can’t afford to put food on the table.
At the start they didn't read "obscure political literature" and at the end they had no idea what was happening at that camp over the hill, where thousands went in but nobody came out.
Not very enquiring.