• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team GB simply AWESOME!

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
If the person in front is aware people are drafting behind them then just move out the way, drop behind them or swap positions. Can't see how they can ban it. May as well ban running behind one another in running as well.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Until about 10 years ago the UK only put £15m/Year to "Athletics" through various Sports foundations. Starting 8 years ago this has increased to an average of £100m/Year for the last 4 years.

Compare all that to the few Footy players you can get for the same amount.

I don't believe that Soccer, Tennis or Golf (GOLF! Really? An Olympic Sport?) professionals should appear in the Olympics. If these sports remain in the Olympics they should be purely at amateur levels.

Becks didnt really want to play for UK - he only wanted 'in' for self-publicity purposes - that is just his american greed coming to the fore. I suspect the same for Tennis Pro's - only in it for sponsoring products afterwards.

Yes, some Athletes do have sponsorship and some have turned Pro - but not to the same extent as the big sports.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
The pundits on TV were saying it was the best day for Great Britain in the Olympics ever. I disagree.

If anyone can point out a better sporting day ever in the history of GB I'd be interested to see it.

Inspirational, emotional of unparalleled excellence. I guarantee that its a day you will remember for the rest of your life. A day you'll be able to regale to you your grand kids.

I agree with the general thrust of your comment,
However:
I put up for consideration the day England won the World Cup, 1966.
I think it is not a day that those who were around and watching (even on TV), could ever forget.

D

dozyscopie1

If the person in front is aware people are drafting behind them then just move out the way, drop behind them or swap positions. Can't see how they can ban it. May as well ban running behind one another in running as well.

In cycling you can be unaware someone is drafting you as they can be as far back as 3 bike lengths. If you were constantly turning and checking, slowing down or changing position you would never get anywhere quick. The USA and World Triathlon brought in the ban to stop people gaining an unfair advantage, it seems to work.

Unlike cycling it has been shown that drafting when running is only of use when there is a head wind. The fact that weather is always changing means that drafting in running is a mute point, unless you do all your running down the Falklands that is. Other runners also say it is dangerous to draft when running especially on hot days.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Totally agree about football and tennis not being in the Olympics. For the rowers, cyclists and track and field athletes etc their competitive cycle lasts four years, from one olympics to the next; the games even eclipse world championdhips in terms of prestige.
Football, tennis and golf (golf ffs) have regular tournaments that rank more highly than the olympics which for them is just a side show. As such they are the sports I personally have taken no interest in.
As for footballers pay.... as long as Sky pay bazillions to televise the sport, punters pay Sky for subscriptions, other punrers go through turnstiles and oil oligarchs pay obscene amoubts of money to fund their play things it will continue. Fair? No, not in the slightest. Deserved? No, in many cases. But thats the way it is.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I was "around" in 1966 - but I didn't notice it (the World Cup) had happened until the win was repeated over the years since. I still dont care for Footy.

I also don't remember the Kennedy Assassination - though I have seen pictures of it - and people are supposed to remember...etc.

Neither did I experienced the Hendrix Experience - but I was around then too.

I do remember Churchill's Funeral, Charles's Investuture, both Princess Anne's weddings, Royal visits to my schools, when Radio 1 was worth listening to - and the Moon Landing!

I think these Olympics (and indeed all other Olympics) are much bigger than England in 1966...But thats because I dont like footy.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I don't mind Tennis being in the Olympics, it was an original sport in the first games and since its return, has been taken seriously by the worlds best players, who don't play it for cash (although it does add ranking points). Federer wanted to win it, it was the one thing that was missing from his CV. Del Potro was over the moon with his Bronze..

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I don't believe that Soccer, Tennis or Golf (GOLF! Really? An Olympic Sport?) professionals should appear in the Olympics. If these sports remain in the Olympics they should be purely at amateur levels.

Amateur status is impossible to police, thats why Rugby Union binned its position on amateur only status in 1995 and that was after the IOC had binned that policy at pre Barcalona.. The best thing about the Olympics is that there is no prize money (The ancient games did pay and give patronage), however some nations do pay their winning athletes bonuses.. The Tennis tourament at Wimbledon was great for the atmosphere that was not the middle class usual.. BTW Brad Wiggins pay check for his contract with the Sky Procycling team is around £1.5 million per year...:pDT_Xtremez_31:

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
Amateur status is impossible to police, thats why Rugby Union binned its position on amateur only status in 1995

Rugby League was formed because the players could not afford to take time off from their day jobs to train and play. They were not greedy, back then it was was choice of work for a living in a factory or play top level rugby with no income. If they were to be dedicated to the sport it had to turn full time professional.

Last edited: