• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team GB simply AWESOME!

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
*Breaking News* The usual panel of judges for Sports Personality Of The Year have all just quit because they wouldn't have been able to narrow down the possible people to a 10 person short list let alone pick winners for the other awards.

My nerves are shot after tonight, Long jump, rowing, cycling, Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah.....then the penalties at Cardiff! Simply amazing night of sport and an amazing Olympics. Did you all watch Jessica Ennis' medal ceremony? The atmosphere in the stadium was intense, 80,000 people belting out GSTQ was enough to bring a tear to many an eye.

On a side note, anyone want to make predictions for Sports Personality Of The Year? I've got it down to 8. Can the team award just go to the ENTIRE Olympic team? Buck House is going to have to get a deli counter ticket system to process the Honours :pDT_Xtremez_19:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Fcuk the football, they are a bunch of over paid prima donnas who should stop, look at themselves and think if they deserve to earn the money they get.

They need to man the Fcuk up, and look at those athletes who train all hours with the aid of a lottery grant. Footballers around the world should look at themselves because they have been weighed, and found wanting.

That tonight was a phenomenal performance by people who have dedicated their life to being the best they can possibly be - football has NO place amongst them.

The National lottery needs to throw all the money they can at the true Olympic sports, the minority sports etc and make Rio the stand out games for British Athletes. I will give more money to the lottery if they use it like they have, and produce true superstars.

Done your country proud tonight.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Congrats to all the gold so far, hopefully a few more tomorrow in the sailing (come on Ainslie) and also on the track in the omnium.

After all the pushing and shoving in the first few laps, it was good to see Mo Farah's training partner come second too. Not often I want an American to do well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

timaloy

Corporal
I reckon the 3 girls from the pursuit team, evrrytime they set foot on the track on the velodrome they broke the world record, amazing performance

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Fcuk the football, they are a bunch of over paid prima donnas who should stop, look at themselves and think if they deserve to earn the money they get.

They need to man the Fcuk up, and look at those athletes who train all hours with the aid of a lottery grant. Footballers around the world should look at themselves because they have been weighed, and found wanting.

That tonight was a phenomenal performance by people who have dedicated their life to being the best they can possibly be - football has NO place amongst them.

The National lottery needs to throw all the money they can at the true Olympic sports, the minority sports etc and make Rio the stand out games for British Athletes. I will give more money to the lottery if they use it like they have, and produce true superstars.

Wot he said^^^^^

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber

I quite agree.
Frankly, including Tennis as an Olympic sport seems wrong.

But surely money must be spent in the wider field of sports training throughout the UK.
Team GB did us proud and the Nation should pay it's dues in good time for the next Olympic event.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Mate, I have been behind this 100%.. To the extent of getting tickets.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant

On a side note, anyone want to make predictions for Sports Personality Of The Year? I've got it down to 8. Can the team award just go to the ENTIRE Olympic team? Buck House is going to have to get a deli counter ticket system to process the Honours :pDT_Xtremez_19:

While a joint award for all the gold medallists would be a fantastic idea - I'd put my money on Brad Wiggins for sports personality of the year - not only the gold medal, but winning the trip round Frogville as well.

Really pleased that here is genuinely lots of choice, and a difficult decision, for it this year though

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Still massive disinterest here, the only reason I know how many fcuking medals we've won is cos its plastered over every inch of tinternet news space.

Thank fcuk there's only another week to go.

E

enginesuck

Well a someone who doesn't follow athletics at all last night was inspirational - electric atmosphere , 80,000 people going nuts just breathtaking - great to see Team GB succeeding and the games as a whole pulling through and proving the doubters wrong. Despite the obvious difficulties we as a nation have been and continue to endure its sometimes ok to say sod it ! Lets celebrate what is Great about Britain.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Bloody brilliant

Bloody brilliant

We had a few people round for a BBQ yesterday so normally wouldn't have the telly on, last night was an exception though and it was indeed exceptional!

firestorm

Warrant Officer
The pundits on TV were saying it was the best day for Great Britain in the Olympics ever. I disagree.

If anyone can point out a better sporting day ever in the history of GB I'd be interested to see it.

Inspirational, emotional of unparallelled excellence. I guarantee that its a day you will remember for the rest of your life. A day you'll be able to regale to you your grand kids.

To the naysayers>>... stfu

To the "premier" footballers of our nation, watch and learn. You can only aspire to such greatness from spoilt mediocrity.

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist

You didn't need to go any further than that SSH, I don't think football should be in the Olympics anyhow!

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Mind you if they put Wayne Rooney in the running for sports personality of the year there are enough one sport blinkered idiots who would vote for a turd if it had a Man Utd shirt on (which pretty much describes Rooney)!!!!

Well done team GB one and all!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
While I would normally have a general ambivalence towards the Olympic games – mostly due to the introduction of professional sportsmen. A number of the victories this time have, for me, got back to the real spirit of the games and consequently I’ve really enjoyed it.

The opening ceremony was, I thought, fantastic – Danny Boyle nailed it. As an aside, the flame is contracted to a company called Fulcrum utilities, and a friend of mine was the PM tasked with design, build, test , and maintenance etc of the flame – as well as ensuring it doesn’t fail or go out. The moments before it was lit he was pukeing with worry in case anything failed (he’ll be dining out on the success of the flame for years, and I’ll be reminding him of the 20 minutes before it was lit!)

The has been a number of moments in the games that, for me, typify what it should be all about :

Alan Campbell getting Bronze in the single skulls, an unexpected medal that came by giving all he had to give, and then a bit more, on the day. I was also really impressed at Sir Steve realizing it was the wrong time for an interview, putting the mike down and helping the guy recover. That and Alan getting up to sing the anthem for someone else’s award, even though he was dead on his feet – absolute commitment to the team and the right role model for sport and sportsmen..

Helen and Heather getting gold in woman’s pairs, their day jobs are a PE teacher and an Army officer – the commitment and sacrifice they have had to give to be the best in the world is phenomenal.

And of course last night’s athletics performance – totally absorbing – 80,000 in the stadium, but a few years out 800,000 will be claiming to have been there. The surge of pride in what our nation can produce was fantastic and the memories will last a long time.

I’ve not paid much attention to the football, as personally I don’t think it should be there. Professional football already has a pinnacle, the world cup. As a rule of thumb, if the Olympics aren’t the pinnacle of achievement in a sport – I’ve probably got no interest in it at the games. For the bulk of the athletes, they have day jobs, the sport with its training and level of commitment needed are done on top of the day job. And I have massive respect for them. I feel much the same way about the Tennis, I wish Murray well, but can’t get excited about it.

I even took the opportunity to watch some new sports – I particularly enjoyed the women’s 3 meter synchronized diving, although that may have been more for the Ukrainian competitors than the diving!.

At these start I wasn’t Mr Olympics, but certainly wasn’t in the Bah Humbug camp either. The opening ceremony impressed me, and as the games have gone on – I’ve found myself getting more into it every day..

I was even in London last week, and on a related note – was very impressed at the organization of the transport system. I was expecting carnage, but it was well thought out and worked well – extra signs, extra staff – suitable timetable changes etc..

Overall, despite some issues in the run up (e.g. G4S), i'd put the games down as a huge success for the nation.

Last edited:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
To put it in perspective, 2 weeks wages for some of our top superhero fotballers would fund nearly two years training and living expenses for a young athlete.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
The footy should go back to being Amateur players only, and maybe 3 professionals under the age of 23.

Also make Triathlon drafting illegal, kind of sucks that the stronger cyclists get punished. All it is now is try stay in contention for the swim, get a tow whilst cycling, and then the stronger runners win. They might aswell scrap the first two events and have a 10k run.

And anyone else get bored of Judo, and Greco-Roman wrestling?... pretty much the same events.

Last edited:

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Also make Triathlon drafting illegal, kind of sucks that the stronger cyclists get punished. All it is now is try stay in contention for the swim, get a tow whilst cycling, and then the stronger runners win. They might aswell scrap the first two events and have a 10k run.
Why would they do that? It's just physics. They would have to ban it in the velodrome and in all the cycling tours. It's just a part of cycling, nothing wrong with it.

D

dozyscopie1

Why would they do that? It's just physics. They would have to ban it in the velodrome and in all the cycling tours. It's just a part of cycling, nothing wrong with it.

Agree with Malesu here.

There is something wrong with it as the USA Triathlon and World Triathlon Corporation would not have banned it if there wasn't. Why the Olympics haven't banned it I don't know.
When it is individual competitors competing it should be banned, not a problem on the Tour or velodrome as there is a team working with you. As a keen cyclist it is so much easier to coast behind someone else and leave them to do all the hard work at the front. Same can be applied to the swim stage.