• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So what do we reckon for Tg17?

J

JR858

Not gonna speculate but with a 25% cut in Civil Servants, the work will still be there but with no-one to do it!

raflad67

Corporal
Not gonna speculate but with a 25% cut in Civil Servants, the work will still be there but with no-one to do it!

Personally I am not bothered by the cuts in the CS - the ones I have either worked for, with or they for me have never been as good as a Tg17 so even with a reduction the work will get done, I mean we always get it done don't we?

The CS system has quite a few wasters within (as has the Services no doubt) so it would be a great opportunity to cull some although we all know it won't work this way. IMO what is needed is for more robust management of some of the existing CS...and they (and us) have to work smarter not harder!

For what it's worth I can't see us suffering that much as a trade and there are far more vulnerable trades. May be a small reduction in line with overall figures but with the usual 'natural wastage' scenario I doubt if it will be many.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Personally I am not bothered by the cuts in the CS - the ones I have either worked for, with or they for me have never been as good as a Tg17 so even with a reduction the work will get done, I mean we always get it done don't we?

The CS system has quite a few wasters within (as has the Services no doubt) so it would be a great opportunity to cull some although we all know it won't work this way. IMO what is needed is for more robust management of some of the existing CS...and they (and us) have to work smarter not harder!

For what it's worth I can't see us suffering that much as a trade and there are far more vulnerable trades. May be a small reduction in line with overall figures but with the usual 'natural wastage' scenario I doubt if it will be many.

Lets hope they see sence and boot most of the civvies out of clothing stores and let the blue suits run it again. That will be one great place to start.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts

Personally, I can't see many of the E1/E2 grade civvies (the group most TG17 will work with) being part of the proposed CS cuts - certainly not at unit level anyway - so the work will be covered.

vinnyvx2

LAC
The civil servants won't mind too much, the new Civil Service Compensation Scheme soon to pushed through by legislation is miles better than the forces redundancy scheme. i.e voluntary redundancy 1 months pay for each year of service upto 21 years + 3 months PILON (payment in lieu of notice). We had a civil servant leave under the old scheme (MOD C2 on shift allowances -Sqn Ldr) get £337K! Don't ask. Its now a max of 24 months+plus pension if old enough. Compulsory redundancy will max 12 months(1 month for each year of service upto 12 years)+3 months pilon+plus pensio if old enough. Its a bit more complicated than that, however thats the headlines.

The CS unions are all moaning about redundancies, however most of the staff are gagging to get made redundant, especially the older ones. In my dept the local unions reps regularly phone up complaining about the lack of redundancies.

If you are looking to get made redundant, don't do what I did and get 8s and spec recs in your last few years. In the last redundancy round I came about 164th out about 168 applicants, the cut-off being 85. The top 85 read like a PMA mafia list. Be interested to hear what some of them are upto now. There must be a few lurking on here...

At least you know that High Wycombe will remain the home of TG17, I can't see Air Cmd closing soon. I can see the trade being trimmed, but surviving largely unscathed.

Agree with the comments on PTIs, I can see cartogs, bandies and photogs all getting the chop. Why not civilianise dentists/hygenists as well.

Good luck guys

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
They could half the ops trade. Bum off most of the jobs to the aircrew (like they do in CHF etc) that would save a boat load considering most of them are officers as well.

Stingray

Sergeant
They could half the ops trade. Bum off most of the jobs to the aircrew (like they do in CHF etc) that would save a boat load considering most of them are officers as well.

FOA, TG4, TG17 must expect cuts. Maintain a few Admin posts or completely get rid of Civvies (never happen).
Ops Support Branch for O's was an experiment that just did not work, put existing aircrew in those posts and fold the branch.

Anyway, back on track. Whilst I have received sterling response from the majority of Admin staff in my 22 yrs, I always wondered why we still employ so many for tasks that line managers should be responsible for even take ownership for.

JPA killed Admin.

Stingray

Sergeant
Oi! Why sacrifice Ops trade for Aircrew? What makes the Aircrew so special?

Shouldn't have tried as hard in school

I just don't think it worked. Personal opinion that's all.

Please don't get me wrong, I have worked with superb ops staff but sometimes there was not the breadth of experience to answer certain questions or resolve certain problems that some aircrew would have found easier.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Redundancies for TG17 would be nice, even at 9 months' salary instead of the 15-18 months from last time.

If there is I will learn from last time and not cock my application up by being too honest!!

raflad67

Corporal
Redundancies for TG17 would be nice, even at 9 months' salary instead of the 15-18 months from last time.

If there is I will learn from last time and not cock my application up by being too honest!!

It did my head in last time that the douche bags within the trade ended up laughing all the way to the bank whilst others were deemed too good to let go...doh

Extra 31K would be nice to add to gratuity and pension....but not sure the trade group will actually lose that many and if we do probably quite easy to do so with the old 'natural wastage' and recruiting a few less..

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Ever so slightly off topic, but can someone clear something up that perturbed some members of my section - according to the post-SDSR redundancy DIN's, depending on how you read it, it looks like those on the AFPS 75 will be the first to be chopped under compulsory redundancies. As I said, it may be just how WE interpreted it, but the damn thing is so woolly and ambiguous, it is difficult to guage any proper guidance from it. Before you all go wading in, this is how SOME people have read it, hence the reason why it would be nice if someone could offer a firmer answer.

C

CC

Have all you fellow TG17 had the recent MoD brief? 3, 6, & even 9 months redundancy pay off will do me. As for compulsory redundancies; there's certainly gonna be some............gotta be aircrew though, what do you think?

raflad67

Corporal
Have all you fellow TG17 had the recent MoD brief? 3, 6, & even 9 months redundancy pay off will do me. As for compulsory redundancies; there's certainly gonna be some............gotta be aircrew though, what do you think?

Nope, although not in work and haven't been in a while.

What's the gen?

C

CC

Raflad67, every allowance, and I mean EVERY allowance, is being looked at. There will be defo compulsory redundancies. There was a great handout with different redundancy permutations for the different Pension schemes. Oh, and possibly a new Pension scheme on the horizon.