• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SJAR - Personal Development Comments.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The new SJAR as you may or may not know will enforce your RO to write about your own Personal Development (PD). PD seems to have a wide scope from studying, supervising Junior Personnel etc! But is this another not needed Stocking Filler in your assesment that will miss the point of your job and suit the people who do a lot of high profile stuff such as Charity Work, organising sporting events, OU (management and leadership B~@lox) giving them free reign to pull the wool over their ROs eyes???

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The new SJAR as you may or may not know will enforce your RO to write about your own Personal Development (PD). PD seems to have a wide scope from studying, supervising Junior Personnel etc! But is this another not needed Stocking Filler in your assesment that will miss the point of your job and suit the people who do a lot of high profile stuff such as Charity Work, organising sporting events, OU (management and leadership B~@lox) giving them free reign to pull the wool over their ROs eyes???

It's down to the 1st RO to write a balanced and objective SJAR and have the cahunas to say if someone is sh1t isn't it?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
It's down to the 1st RO to write a balanced and objective SJAR and have the cahunas to say if someone is sh1t isn't it?

Indeed it is MP, so unfortunatly that means very little will change !

Enjoy.

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Problem MP is as you know it's all subjective. Where I work people spend a lot of time doing things such as Social Funds, organising charity Events etc. Trying to get them to chase up their jobs though takes second place to this unfortunately. But you just know that it will reflect on them with their high profile stuff that they do. We are all GOOD at our jobs apparently....yeah right!!!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How long before somebody starts a thread about how they have been done over for promotion because the system has changed to SJAR's from 6000's?

I remeber having that conversation with somebody when we went from 6442's to 6000's.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Problem MP is as you know it's all subjective. Where I work people spend a lot of time doing things such as Social Funds, organising charity Events etc. Trying to get them to chase up their jobs though takes second place to this unfortunately. But you just know that it will reflect on them with their high profile stuff that they do. We are all GOOD at our jobs apparently....yeah right!!!

I know what you're saying RJL, but what system can the RAF adopt? The integrity of the reporting chain begins at the 1st RO, sadly some 1st ROs seem to be lacking in basic assessment writing skills (I know it's a difficult job, the RAF should run mandatory courses for NCOs).

Commenting upon an individuals leadership and development is an important part of anyones career path - the assessment is looking for your ability to perform in the ranks above you, not merely being "good" at your job as an SAC, Corporal etc (Yes I know people have been promoted way past their station whilst good eggs have been sidelined.)

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I still firmly believe a good 1st RO will always try to write objectively and not favour someone because they are I/C the stn knitting team or touch small boys up at the weekend etc etc..

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
I know what you're saying RJL, but what system can the RAF adopt? The integrity of the reporting chain begins at the 1st RO, sadly some 1st ROs seem to be lacking in basic assessment writing skills (I know it's a difficult job, the RAF should run mandatory courses for NCOs).

Commenting upon an individuals leadership and development is an important part of anyones career path - the assessment is looking for your ability to perform in the ranks above you, not merely being "good" at your job as an SAC, Corporal etc (Yes I know people have been promoted way past their station whilst good eggs have been sidelined.)

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I still firmly believe a good 1st RO will always try to write objectively and not favour someone because they are I/C the stn knitting team or touch small boys up at the weekend etc etc..

Thought that was done on IMLC?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thought that was done on IMLC?

What about JNCOs, who due to increasing manpower cuts are forced to virtually write assessments for SACs?

When I say course, I mean a proper course, some 1st ROs have difficulty with spelling ffs.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
They need to start interviewing personnel eligible for promotion face-to-face. This would get the right people promoted I believe. See the real person (as best they can) and not a 2D piece of paper or computer screen written by a subjective 1st RO.

I completely agree with MP on the writing course stuff I have to say.

Last edited:

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
That is just not practical. Time consuming and depends on an individual being good at an interview, not necessarily good at their job.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You don't have to lye Tommo. Just be honest and they hopefully should be able to see through the B~llsh*tte~s who do this, that and the next thing but don't actually do their job. Primary job first remember!!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Couldn't agree more - if you are honest about someone then you can't go wrong. The problems start when the ROs give an appraisal that they think the individual needs rather than the one they deserve. I'm all for Cpls being given a chance to have a go at drafting reports, but the process should be completed by the 1st RO interviewing the subject and then speaking to the Cpl and showing them how the report evolved. Seems to me this does not happen a lot of the time - JNCOs are asked for a draft and that's the last they see of the report.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Was asked at my last Unit Tommo to do some write ups on my SACs. Submitted this to my SNEC who used most of my written stuff. When I look back now, and after reading briefs and othe docs from PMA, I wrote a lot of crap. I didn't back up HOW to back up the WHY in an assessment. If someone was good I used fancy terminologies thinking I was the bees knees writing assessments. Looking back now after talking to my present SNEC (who teaches Performance Management Courses) a course for JNCOs on writing assessments wouldn't be a bad idea.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
JNCOs are asked for a draft and that's the last they see of the report.

Been there done it. I've drafted appraisals which have borne no resemblance to the finished product, and then have not been advised on where my efforts were lacking.

Appraisals are, by their very nature, subjective and that will never change. There is no 'perfect' system for promotion - we all know people who (we think) have risen above their level of competence and we know good guys who have been overlooked time and again. By and large though, the system works. If it didn't then we could not achieve our core business day-in, day-out as we do.

Re-introducing promotion exams may go some way to sorting the wheat from the chaff but there are plenty of good tradesmen who fall to pieces in exams. The relief on some people's faces when they were told recently the CCS tick-test no longer exists was incredible to see. The same with interviews; some people are able to give a convincing interview, others are not.

Perhaps a combination of all 3 methods may be the way ahead but with an ever tighter defence budget would you rather spend the money on implementing a system that will still be less than perfect or do you want the aircraft spares we are so desperately short of?

One of the many advantages SJARs have over Fs6000 is that subordinate and personal development are much more relevant to our primary duty than joining a committee just to fill the secondary duties box. The responsibility we NCOs have for the airmen placed under our charge will now be properly recognised and, taken seriously, should reap benefits on the shop floor within a couple or 3 years.

Last edited:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
TBJ...Personal Development seems to be a large scope! Do you know if they mean PD with reference work stuff or can it be anything not related directly? Couldn't really see any definitions in JSP 757.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
TBJ...Personal Development seems to be a large scope! Do you know if they mean PD with reference work stuff or can it be anything not related directly? Couldn't really see any definitions in JSP 757.

I would imagine it's the standard Service "development" which encompasses just about anything that is supposed to make you a more rounded Airman or NCO.

I do think SJARs will end up being better (shame they haven't been introduced properly!!) in the long term, the emphasis now seems much more on how an individual performs in relation to the service, although I do think 1850 characters is a bit short for the summary narrative.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've been writing the new SJAR's since their inception. I have around 75 SAC's/Cpl's/SNCO's who I'm either 1st or 2nd RO for. The first problem I had was finding my way around the system. It's a major pain in the ar5e! You do however, get used to it. The system is going to be used tri-service. This brings about standardisation, which can only be a good thing. Now I've been in a bit (MACR), but it's not until you get to either observe or take part in a promotion/selection board that you really see what they're looking for. I consider myself to be a competent 'wordsmith', but looking after someone's promotional career takes a lot more than we're taught. If you want to do your people justice, get to know what the selection boards look for and specifically address those points. Having done this, I've recently managed to get 2 of my outstanding SAC's their tapes well ahead of their time (but they are more than capable).

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Pingdit...What made them outstanding compared to the rest?

Also can you talk about your experience on the board? Can you amplify what they are after? My last FS said adaptability in different roles is a main one but I am also conscious of the fact that different personnel on boards may have different opinions!

Major Geek

Sergeant
Whatever assessment system you use it is much easier to write if you have good examples to back up what is being said. The subject could make it easier by keeping a record of things they have done in the past year that stand out from the norm and highlight them to the assessor (who might not recall them when the time comes to write the SJAR).

In my mind Personal Development is anything an individual does to improve themselves and someone who has a PD Plan is someone who does not just go with the flow.