• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

shormas

• Thread starter windy millar's luv child
  • Start date

T55

Sergeant
Does anyone know if ya can get a Shorma in the UK? Or am I gonna have to Easyjet it over to Roermond to get rid of my cravings? Six years in withdrawal!!!

"In the United Kingdom, shawarma consists of slices of skewered which are served in a pita with salad, pickles[5] and tahina. It is mostly associated with Lebanese restaurants, which are particularly concentrated on Edgware Road in London. Kosher schwarma is available in areas of North-West London, namely Golders Green and Hendon, due to the large Jewish demographic. The original shawarma take-aways first appeared in Picadilly Circus in the early 70's, catering mainly to tourists and Arab expatriates, but quickly spread to other parts of London and the U.K."

A quote from Wikipedia.

Y

Yossarian

It is mostly associated with Lebanese restaurants, which are particularly concentrated on Edgware Road in London.

A quote from Wikipedia.

Yep. Which I posted about 5 posts ago. Keep up! ::p:

Incidentally, if anyone is just after the spicy stuff that flavours the meat, you can buy it from german and dutch websites online and it's not bad.
You chop up your lamb and fry it in some oil with the spice powder. Nearly like the real thing.

Still can't find curry ketchup online though. :pDT_Xtremez_26:

W

windy millar's luv child

Thanks for that every1, but I can't even cook an egg... So I'll have to go over to cloggyland so they can cook it for me.

Has anyone ever tasted the ones in London? If so do they taste the same?

T55

Sergeant

Incidentally, if anyone is just after the spicy stuff that flavours the meat, you can buy it from german and dutch websites online and it's not bad.
You chop up your lamb and fry it in some oil with the spice powder. Nearly like the real thing.

You're right, I apologise. Just off to charge myself.

Y

Yossarian

Has anyone ever tasted the ones in London? If so do they taste the same?

I'm a regular on Edgeware road mate. They don't taste the same, no. But every bit as good, if not better.

Remember that the Roermond ones are a cloggy / turkish interpretation, and the UK ones are a Lebanese / London interpretation, so they're not going to be the same.

The garlic sauce is awesome though. Similar to what you get over in Holland but stronger.
Worth a visit if you are in town, certainly.

Chaka

Sergeant
Goed Dag Heathens!

Roermond means Dutch frikedellans, Limburger Cream Flans or a trip to the Peacock for a Ricetafel.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Tot Ziens!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

G

grumpyoldb

Here yer go.....................
http://www.ketchupworld.com/zecukeg.html

Hope this helps.

G

grumpyoldb

I have also thoroughly enjoyed the Shoarma from many place including The Jerusalem in Roermond whilst serving in BFG.

I have a recipe at home for the spice mix that I have used before and it was almost as good. Unfortunately, as the gits sent me to CMU and my home is now over 500 miles north I dont have that recipe to hand at the moment but I will post it when I am next home.

I just googled and found this one http://www.recipezaar.com/44858 but there are plenty around if you go looking.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Thanks Edzar,
I'll try that one.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

E

Edzar

Shoarma Spice Mix Recipe

Shoarma Spice Mix Recipe

As promised here is a recipe I have used and it turned out pretty good but you can always fine tweak it to personal preference:

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon ground coriander

1 Tablespoon garlic powder

½ Tablespoon paprika

1 Teaspoon turmeric powder

½ Teaspoon ground cloves

1 Teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 Teaspoon ground ginger

1 Teaspoon ground black pepper

½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon

If you’ve got whole cumin & coriander seeds then dry fry them for a couple of minutes then crush them in a pestle & mortar, doing cloves in a pestle & mortar, mix all the spices in a jar and put in a jar spice mix done!

Shoarma

Use approx 1lb pork, chicken or lamb cut into small pieces, add 1 tablespoon of oil, ½ tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of the spice mix, add salt to taste, mix and leave for a few hours or preferably overnight.

Heat frying pan and add mix, fry for a few minutes then stick it under a hot grill for a couple of minutes, alternate between until done, it doesn’t take long cause the bits of meat are small.

Serve in pita bread with various dips, try chillis blitzed with a bit of tomato if you want to dilute it, garlic mayonnaise is a must, available in Asda, and a tomato dip is good.

Enjoy!
:pDT_Xtremez_28: :pDT_Xtremez_15:

W

windy millar's luv child

Wish I had paid attention in the cooking classes at school now!!

I

irishlogster

As Yoss has fallen off the face of the earth.... does anyone know where on the Edgware Rd or anywhere else ya can get a Shorma from?

I

irishlogster

no ta thanks mate... but if that fit blonde sitting in the 36th window from the right on the street of 82872289 hookers is still there ya can bring her back for me if ya like:pDT_Xtremez_19:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nooooooooooooooo! Stop now!
How you can even consider eating food designed by Johnny foreigner when there are pasties about is beyond me!

Rikster

Sergeant

Rikster

Sergeant
AND..........just to cause a bit of trouble.
shawarma's were for all the benders and slackers in the "Clutch" Not like us real men at Gütersloh:pDT_Xtremez_28: