• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

shormas

• Thread starter windy millar's luv child
  • Start date
W

windy millar's luv child

Does anyone know if ya can get a Shorma in the UK? Or am I gonna have to Easyjet it over to Roermond to get rid of my cravings? Six years in withdrawal!!!

W

windy millar's luv child

Holy ****e!!! No way ! It is far nicer...lol OOOOOOOO I can just taste it in me mouth now... Oer! Gopping breathe for few days after when ya OD'd on the garlic..

W

windy millar's luv child

It's like well.. I'd say a posh kebab only 10000 times nicer. Hard to describe it really mate. Any jamie olivers out there that know?

G

grumpyoldb

I think it's a spicey lamb burger. Just done a quick google search but there were no results.

A

Almost_done

A recipie

A recipie

Swarma (Shawerma)

1 lb filet mignon.
1 1/2 tsp bohar.
1 tsp sumac.
1/4 tsp pepper
1 TB oil.
2 medium tomatoes.
1 small onion.

Method
Slice meat on a bias very thin. Then slice into julienne strips.
Mix together all the dry spices and sprinkle on top of the meat.
Add the oil and stir.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Heat a frying pan or wok. When hot add a little oil and heat.
When hot, add some of the meat to form a single layer, so it is not crowded in the pan
Continue to fry on the hottest heat possible, and turn the meat over so it cooks quite quickly. About 2 minutes.
Remove and place on a dish.
Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
Add to the pan the onions and tomatoes, cook for 1/2 minute. Add the already cooked meat. Mix completely. Serve, on bread with some tahina.

Sounds about right, taken from here.

Will have ensure the next holiday the family A_D take goes to Holland again :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:
F

flounder_al

Truely is food of the gods. Wasa compulsary buy on the way back from Roermond to Bruggen.

Had a mouth like Ghandi's flip flop the next morning though but well worth it.

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
Have to agree with you on the point you're making but it was Shoarma in Roermond and the only real choice you had to make was either Cleopatra's or Jerusalem's for that wonderful meal with lots of garlic sauce and those little pita bread things.

Nothing on Jerusalems but try this for a taster....

http://www.eet.nu/Roermond/Cleopatra

P

POB

The best Shaorma I have ever tasted outside of the Middle East has to be from a little shop at the back of Victoria Park in Aukland. Outrageous really! Its a long way to go for a kebab!

Sorry but you are wrong. the only place to go was the jaffa in roermond number 21 no hot chilli, extra garlic and g*d help the poor sod you strapped in the next day!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_15: , Smelly at both ends its been 14 years and i can still remember the taste clearly my keyboard is now covered in dribble:pDT_Xtremez_28:

E

Edzar

Shoarma Recipes

Shoarma Recipes

I have also thoroughly enjoyed the Shoarma from many place including The Jerusalem in Roermond whilst serving in BFG.

I have a recipe at home for the spice mix that I have used before and it was almost as good. Unfortunately, as the gits sent me to CMU and my home is now over 500 miles north I dont have that recipe to hand at the moment but I will post it when I am next home.

I just googled and found this one http://www.recipezaar.com/44858 but there are plenty around if you go looking.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I have also thoroughly enjoyed the Shoarma from many place including The Jerusalem in Roermond whilst serving in BFG.

I have a recipe at home for the spice mix that I have used before and it was almost as good. Unfortunately, as the gits sent me to CMU and my home is now over 500 miles north I dont have that recipe to hand at the moment but I will post it when I am next home.

I just googled and found this one http://www.recipezaar.com/44858 but there are plenty around if you go looking.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

That looked like the chicken Gyros I had in Greece last year. can anyone compare the two meals ?

Last edited:
Y

Yossarian

That looked like the chicken Gyros I had in Greece last year. can anyone compare the two meals ?

Gyros and Shawarma are essentially the same thing. Grilled sliced spicy lamb served on a flatbread with salad and sauces. (Garlic sauce most commonly).

Shawarma are a more middle eastern version, and Gyros more mediteranean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

The best shawarmas in the UK are found anywhere in "Little Lebanon", a half mile stretch of Edgeware road in London, close to Marble arch.
Al Ranoush juice bar do the best in my opinion.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
Food of the gods indeed!!!

I take the annual pilgrimage to Venlo these days... I use the guise of taking the kids to Center parcs outside Venlo, but I always manage a cheeky little shoarma or 2.

I found some microwaveable shoarmas in the local supermarket but they were chuffing awful when I tried them at home.Just means I'll have to keep going back.

T55

Sergeant
Does anyone know if ya can get a Shorma in the UK? Or am I gonna have to Easyjet it over to Roermond to get rid of my cravings? Six years in withdrawal!!!

That large supermarket in Venlo, can't remember the name, used to sell the ready spiced meat. A long way I know but it was nice.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
I think it was called 2000 (or something similar). It is the one just next to KFC and Macdonalds......I think I have realised the possible reasons I am shaped a bit like a space hopper