• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Serving Soldier (maybe!) Refusing to Soldier

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Are the military allowed to protest or not?

In AP 1 if goes on about being Apolitical.

MOD might have opened a can of worms allowing serving members to protest at the "Right" events, who makes that call?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At first, I thought it was just a stunt pulled by a protester because it does, or rather did, seem somewhat contrived.

However the story has made it all the way to the Telegraph and the chap in question has been publicly named and confirmed as a serving L/Cpl.

When it hits the Daily Mail, we'll know for sure that the story is gospel and we'll also find out how much his parent's house is worth.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
MOD might have opened a can of worms allowing serving members to protest at the "Right" events, who makes that call?
The MOD are happy for serving members to join other "Right" events like Gay pride. An event focusing on a particular lifestyle.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It’s one person, when you recruit a more diverse Army you are going to get a more diverse viewpoint, pretty certain the rank will be time or training based.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It’s one person, when you recruit a more diverse Army you are going to get a more diverse viewpoint, pretty certain the rank will be time or training based.
Having a more diverse set of viewpoints is one thing (and desirable according to the top brass) , expressing that different viewpoint in the form of refusing duties or publicly espousing a cause at odds with government policy is an entirely different thing. Especially when that is done in uniform. When you join up you accept the responsibility of doing what you are told whether you like it or not.

He should either shut up & soldier or apply for a discharge.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Yes, we had a "refusenik" Cpl at Gutersloh for GW1 and he wasn't deployed. He was/is one of the fittest guys you could imagine and was a real Gung-Ho Rambo on exercises.
On my return from GW1, I was PWRd for FI (again) and whilst there he and his best friend turned up at MPI on a "Rehab" Jolly - boasting of having a great time touring deployment areas to see if they could like them... several weeks and thousands of lolly spent on his international tours.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wasn't there a couple of refuseniks during the Gulf War 2 or little after.
Yes. I went, when I should have been at home enjoying time with my first born, but someone had a few issues with going to war so I was sent in his place.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Yes. I went, when I should have been at home enjoying time with my first born, but someone had a few issues with going to war so I was sent in his place.
Tough call. Isn't First Born rule still apply today or has that ended now. I seem to recall on the second child born you couldn't be sent abroad.