• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sat Nav

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Got to agree with you there Mrs M.

Thanks for the unput guys, I was hoping to spend under 200 and have noticed that no one has mentioned Garmin as A couple of friends have told me to get those, any thoughts?
My Dad borrowed my PDA with built in GPS and TomTom6 software

He thought it was great but wanted a dedicated one not a PDA

He bought the Garmin. 4 hours later he took it back and bought a TomTom, I don't know which one but it will deffo have been less than 200 notes he's pensioner FFS

Hu

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

my two pennies...

My dad has a dedicated sat-nav thing and we used it to find my sister's gaff from a hotel we were all staying in for my Niece's Christening - I was impressed but it didn't make me want one.

The amusing voices, although I think the 'Tony Blair' one was a bit rubbish: "Do a u-turn", "Do a u-turn". "Do a u-turn" :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Okay, I won't give up the day job for a career in comedy...

I'll wait until I next upgrade my mobile and get one that supports the sat-nav software. I like the idea of having a sat-nav that's always with you and slips in your pocket, plus it will hopefully be a lot less than 200 notes!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I'll wait until I next upgrade my mobile and get one that supports the sat-nav software. I like the idea of having a sat-nav that's always with you and slips in your pocket, plus it will hopefully be a lot less than 200 notes!

Keep an eye open for the Nokia N95. Apparently this will come with satnav when it's released in April of 2007. Check it out here (IGS available (At the moment))and closer to release, here (Not available through IGS). I'll have to wait as I went and signed an 18 monther with Vodaphone for a K800i.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
ok....You've caught my attention...whats the deal with having it on your mobile? how much does it cost once you've got the software and stuff?

Are these becoming a must have toy?
I've never had one and always been comfortable enough with multimap directions and an area map.
I was less than impressed when our taxi driver used his and it took us down the A419 and through the middle of Swindon to get to our xmas do at the DeVere. We ended up heading toward the M6 before I finally put an end to the madness and said just head for Shaw Ridge mate and switch the fookin thing off.
I know it's a boy toy but I'm really not sure about them after that little performance!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Are these becoming a must have toy?
I've never had one and always been comfortable enough with multimap directions and an area map.
I was less than impressed when our taxi driver used his and it took us down the A419 and through the middle of Swindon to get to our xmas do at the DeVere. We ended up heading toward the M6 before I finally put an end to the madness and said just head for Shaw Ridge mate and switch the fookin thing off.
I know it's a boy toy but I'm really not sure about them after that little performance!

Reckon so...My Chrimbo list reads:

Bling
Brown Baby
Satnav
Small dog that will never walk anywhere

I'm right 'up there' me you know...

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
ok....You've caught my attention...whats the deal with having it on your mobile? how much does it cost once you've got the software and stuff?
Once you've got the gear it costs nowt - a guy I work with did it on a symbian phone (one with large screen that runs windows) a blue tooth GPS receiver about 40 quid or less on flea bay

Hooky TomTom software about 5 squid off flea bay

Or genuine software can be bought second hand off ebay

Vim, with a set of earphones these systems work well on the bike

Hu

K

katinthehat

I will stick to reading the map, as, contrary to popular misconceptions - I CAN!!!!!!!!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

As far as I know it's the updates that cost. Addons like new maps, traffic camera updates and such. My Vodaphone has a thing that gives me the area code Im in (why I don't know, maybe it's a 3G thing) or travelling through. Why do I need to know I'm in an area code ? Would this allow my Sony K800i to run sat nav software ? Help ?

P

Pikey Mikey

I have a Garmin GPSmap 296, a colour moving map display, with all the bells and whistles on it, but unfortunately it didnt stop me flying through Luton Airports Approach for runway 25 getting in the way of an easyjet flight on the ILS for that runway, CAA gave me a ticking off for that, bloody gps cost me £900!::/:

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Dont forget Kettles, and some birds may be well advanced and trained on dishwashers!

Dishwashers are the ultimate luxury that should only be bought as a combined Christmas and Birthday present for the little woman.

Then, of course, on no account whatsoever should the phrase 'Could you empty the dishwasher darling' ever pass her cherry lips.
:pDT_Xtremez_35:

tats

Sergeant
Dishwashers are the ultimate luxury that should only be bought as a combined Christmas and Birthday present for the little woman.

Then, of course, on no account whatsoever should the phrase 'Could you empty the dishwasher darling' ever pass her cherry lips.
:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Off Topic Seeing as this is my thread, any chance of talking about the actual subject? ::p:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I have a Garmin GPSmap 296, a colour moving map display, with all the bells and whistles on it, but unfortunately it didnt stop me flying through Luton Airports Approach for runway 25 getting in the way of an easyjet flight on the ILS for that runway, CAA gave me a ticking off for that, bloody gps cost me £900!::/:

Maybe it is an aptitude thing!!:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I have tomtom 5 on my PDA, works very well