• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sat Nav

tats

Sergeant
Just a quick question. If you have one,

What do you have?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
How much was it?

I'm looking to get one but not sure what to go for, :pDT_Xtremez_08: really not looking for replies telling me to buy an A-Z or learn to read a map as I have one and can do already. Looking for reasonable replies to a reasonable question.

Cheers :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Just a quick question. If you have one,

What do you have?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
How much was it?

I'm looking to get one but not sure what to go for, :pDT_Xtremez_08: really not looking for replies telling me to buy an A-Z or learn to read a map as I have one and can do already. Looking for reasonable replies to a reasonable question.

Cheers :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Good plan I'm looking for one which will work out a new route each time you deviate from it's directions

B

Biggles.

Well i went for the small option of TomTom5 mobile. This runs on a Nokia like the 6630 N73, etc. This means when you leave your car you have it with you instead of leaving it for some theiving sod to nick. Also means when you have to jump in someone else's car or a works motor you have got it with you. Just gets a little GPS device to carry with you, one you have connected them via blue tooth you can sling it in your coat or bag and forget about it. You can still get all the extras that you can with a full TomTom, ie all the different voices and camera locations etc but just goes in your pocket when you leave the car.

tats

Sergeant
Good plan I'm looking for one which will work out a new route each time you deviate from it's directions

Seen a few that do that, just not sure which brand to get, know one guy who has a Garmin (not really on talking terms at the mo tho) and another who has a TomTom, but I'm not exactly made of money so need to get the best that I can.

Biggles, does that work with all mobiles or just Nokia's??

fatbaldchief

Corporal
I have a Pocket PC with TomTom Navigator on it. I am a fairy and am brilliant at navigatin but it is the best thing I have ever bought. It works out best route, recalculates in seconds when you turn off route for diversions etc, warns you in plenty of time for turns and has thousands of points of interest. It takes all the hassle out of driving, even on routes you know and lets you just chill especially at complicated motorway junctions. Mine is set up for all speed cameras, redlight cameras and all speed limits and lets you navigate to a post code anywhere in the UK. I really would not be without it :pDT_Xtremez_30:

M

Mrs_Monobrow

I was reading in the news today that most men think sat nav is for wimps............

LOL

I shall have to see if i can find the article!

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
I've got a NAVMAN ICN 530, and it is simple to use. Does 6 figure post codes(some others don't)

Got all the cameras etc and has a one touch for nearest petrol station. I've also just got a traffic alert thing, that gives real time traffic reports, and can automatically work out an alternative route, to avoid the congestion.

D

Dhoby4u

These replies are all well and good but how much do they cost and is there an annual subscription needed?

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
No annual subsciption for mine, or for the traffic update, but you're looking at 2 hundred sheets, unless you get a dodgy one of e bay

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I have a Pocket PC with TomTom Navigator on it. I am a fairy and am brilliant at navigatin but it is the best thing I have ever bought. It works out best route, recalculates in seconds when you turn off route for diversions etc, warns you in plenty of time for turns and has thousands of points of interest. It takes all the hassle out of driving, even on routes you know and lets you just chill especially at complicated motorway junctions. Mine is set up for all speed cameras, redlight cameras and all speed limits and lets you navigate to a post code anywhere in the UK. I really would not be without it :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I've got the same setup and with the Ozzy Osbourne voice switched to obcene mode I get a right laugh out of it too.

In 100 metres turn rrrrrrrrright you tw@t

You've arrived at your ffffffffffcucking destination brilliant

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
These replies are all well and good but how much do they cost and is there an annual subscription needed?

Yours for the price of a Brick according to the news - just go down the Pub tell a Chav you want a Sat Nav for 20 quid half an hour later hey presto you got one

No warranty though

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

shotgun

LAC
I used to have the Road Angel navigator when i was in the UK. It was a good unit, it did postcode search, auto-Rerouting if you deviated from the route, but also had a built-in speed camera database. It cost about £400 when i bought it, but you can get it cheaper now i think. The monthly subscription was a fiver a month for updates. In hindsight though i would have rather spent the money on a similar priced Tomtom unit as you get pretty much the same features, plus bluetooth for handsfree telephone calls

sadscopie

SAC
I got a PPC (HP RZ1710) with TomTom 6 running on it - It's great I only bought the PPC for TomTom but you can plag vids mp3's etc on it.

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
Got a Navman iCN 750, cost £300 a while back but are much cheaper now, very good and re-routes nice and quick. Doesn't come with the cameras but you can download them if you want, getting the traffic bit in Jan in the sales! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I borrowed a tomtom motorbike one which worked just as well in my car...Even though I'm virtually faultless in all respects when you're trying to juggle an A-Z whilst being beeped at by a Chelsea tractor in darkest Hayes at rush hour it can be a bit of a challenge...This marvellous box of tricks made it nearly too simple...I was soooo f*cking impressed I nearly bought one but at £299 you can fook off!

They'll get cheaper...and by that time I'll fit one to my monkey piloted hover car...:pDT_Xtremez_17:

S

SPECCIE t**t

I have Tom Tom on a PDA. Can't fault it. It has taken me right accross europe more than once without giving me a bum steer once. Even my wife no wouldn't be without it when going somewhere new and she hates gadgets.

tats

Sergeant
I know enough!

Oh and i dont do ironing!!!

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Got to agree with you there Mrs M.

Thanks for the unput guys, I was hoping to spend under 200 and have noticed that no one has mentioned Garmin as A couple of friends have told me to get those, any thoughts?