• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rooney...

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
So after 3 goals in two games and getting ever nearer to the record I was surprised to see people on twitter rather than congratulating or supporting the team captain, slating him and merely stating he's still sh!te...

IMO he's not the only big name to struggle in tournaments especially due to injury. Ronaldo for one hasn't done it for Portugal as he does for Real. Messi before the WC in Brazil had also flattered to deceive.

Why can't England fans stop being so negative and leave team rivalries aside when supporting England? He's scored nearly a goal every other game including goals against holland, Argentina and a couple against Brazil. Thoughts?

This message was sent using my thumb.

O Rly!

LAC
Subscriber
Granted, he’s a very talented player. But Captain material; I don’t think so. When asked if this was England’s best performance in the last 6 games, he replied “Well, it’s the least important.”
Notwithstanding whether that’s true or not, surely he’s just berated his team’s performance on the night as well as denigrating the opposition. If he’s going to be the future of the Captain’s armband he needs to have a better understanding of his responsibilities off the field as well as on.
I’ll now sit back and await incoming!

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
I can't find that quote however having just heard an interview on SSNews he said it was a special fixture, special game to score in and hopes to be involved in more games like it (when asked if he'd like the fixture to be more regular) which I think is respectful to say the least. England don't seem to be doing too bad with him as captain tbh.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The sad thing is he is on course to set new records for goals scored and number of caps.

Once that miserable barsteward Charlton`s goal record goes, it`ll be beaten relatively quickly by a few players.
For thats the way of records.

Rooney, flat track bully.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'd rather have Charlton as a role model than Rooney.

Surely not!! Bobby Charlton ex Preston manager, world cup winner, respected around the footballing world and never a whiff of scandal a role model. What's wrong with the role model that is the Shrek look alike ex-Everton "once a blue always a blue" striker, his hair transplant has bedded in nicely and he hasn't bedded a granny for ages. Over rated, over paid and over weight with a fuse so short the next red card is always just a reckless, ill timed, bad tackle away. He's a national hero in the making.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There always seem to be problems with personalities who don't actually have any personality or obvious social skills.

I remember reading in the daily wail some years ago that he hired a teacher to get him through a couple of GCSE's. I wonder if he managed to pass them?

Bobby Charlton on the other hand went to a grammar school and did an apprenticeship before he turned pro.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Is an individual who has learnt from his mistakes less of a role model than someone who has made none? Beckham is adored by Joe public but saw plenty of controversy on and off the pitch. Tony Adams was also a well respected captain.

Not sure what amount of GCSEs someone has contributes to the football field but I'd guess not one manager cares...

I've not met him so I can't comment on his personality but if Van Gaal, Hodgson and Ferguson think he's fit to wear an armband that's a pretty good CV.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's a sign of the times we are living in that someone like Rooney can be a so called celebrity. The man is a multi millionaire through football while there's footballers from the past (footballers who have more skill than Rooney will ever have) who don't have 2 pennies to rub together. Rooney doesn't have an ounce of personality and is the wrong person to be captain of England.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Ah! The golden years we had with Gerrard at the helm.

Gerrard is not captain material, never has been. You need a leader, a character, a focal point, someone who can spot when things are going wrong on the pitch and fix them himself. He isn't any of those things.

Then again, England haven't exactly flourished under any captain since <yawn> 1966.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is an individual who has learnt from his mistakes less of a role model than someone who has made none? Beckham is adored by Joe public but saw plenty of controversy on and off the pitch. Tony Adams was also a well respected captain.

Not sure what amount of GCSEs someone has contributes to the football field but I'd guess not one manager cares...

I've not met him so I can't comment on his personality but if Van Gaal, Hodgson and Ferguson think he's fit to wear an armband that's a pretty good CV.

I'm not for or against Rooney being England captain. As you say FL, the person the FA think is the best judge of that is Roy Hodgson. I was commenting on the way he comes across to the public, and like it or lump it, that is one of the factors that the public think is important for someone who is 2 i/c the England football team.

Having GCSE's is, in general, not really important as long as you are good enough to do what you do. If what he is doing means he needs the off field capability to grasp the concept of interacting with people off the football field/dressing room and dealing with hacks then maybe the ability to pass a GCSE or two wouldn't go amiss.

G

Gord

I know I'm an old fart but in their day, Alan Shearer, Stanley Mathews and Jackie Milburn would have run rings round Rooney. Just my opinion of course but like arseholes, everybody has one.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Glutton for punishment, that man! Rooney for England captain (please no) says the gent who supports the club that used to employ a compulsive gambler, former England goalie as manager (until he started losing the chairman's money as well as his own). Name of Sh*lt*n for the mystified - sources Western Morning News & Plymouth Evening Herald.