• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Redundancy Package details for AFPS 05?

FootTapper

Sergeant
Firstly - I know the only completely accurate way is to wait until the redundancy calculator thingy is setup and put individual details in, and that each set of circumstances will be different.

I saw a few people posting up the guidelines/details of redundancy packages for AFPS75, but nothing about 05 - does any have the gen on the package, or a link to it?

Just wanted to get a ballpark figure on things...

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
To be honest I think you may be getting ahead of yourself. The calculations are still being looked at as to how many of us will join the ranks of the great unwashed and we won't really find out anything until Apr 2011 at the earliest. You can guarantee any payout we receive will be the smallest possible (9 months pay is the best bet). Are you in a trade likely to be cut (medics, police, dental, movers, suppliers etc)?

Stingray

Sergeant
Took about 30 seconds on google, it's not hard....

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0E5372B7-0CC6-4CE6-A139-C6AA26B5196E/0/Redundancybookletjan07.pdf

If you on AFPS05 then you are on AFRS06 (R for redundancy) for redundancy purposes, see page 3 of the booklet....

MMP/138 has been withdrawn I believe. Calculations are ongoing and the relevant JSP chapters are currently blank.
If, however, you are on AFPS75, then all the info is available in the relevant DIN, 188 I think.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I had a chat with the Manning team when they visited and for once they were quite open about the trades 'under review'. I knew about TG15 already and the plans they have for us may cause a few raised eyebrows.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Took about 30 seconds on google, it's not hard....
If you on AFPS05 then you are on AFRS06 (R for redundancy) for redundancy purposes, see page 3 of the booklet....

You're right - I could have googled for possibly inaccurate info, maybe suggest wikipedia next time?

To be honest I think you may be getting ahead of yourself.

I don't think so - if I was on 75 I could work out the numbers, I'd like to do the same for 05 ASAP, that way *IF* I'm in the frame for it I will have a good idea in advance whether I want to go for it or not

MMP/138 has been withdrawn I believe. Calculations are ongoing and the relevant JSP chapters are currently blank.
If, however, you are on AFPS75, then all the info is available in the relevant DIN, 188 I think.

I've no idea what MMP/138 is - but I guess that's the AFRS06 thing?

Maybe they'll just make the 05 version a complete stitch up, and then only offer redundancy to those on 05.... That would save a stack of cash :D

Mr Grok

LAC
It took about 30 seconds on google to get a link to the relevant .... MOD website!!!!!

I wouldn't bother trying to work out what you're entitled to, just believe what you hear in the crewroom, after all that's always right!

AFRS06 is the redundancy scheme that applies to people on AFPS05 unless, or until, it is replaced (AFRS06 that is). While this may happen in a few years time, there are no immediate plans to replace it in order to "stitch" people as part of the redundancy. While the link I gave you may (or may not) be to a document that has been replaced, the details of AFRS06 haven't been changed, so in that sense the document is still valid.

There is a, well publicised, change to redundancy terms for those on AFPS75, which kicks in with effect Apr 2013. RAF Manning are actually trying to ensure the majority of people are out by then so they don't lose out financially.

There is no stitch up, all the documentation is widely available on MOD websites if you search for it and read it, or should be available at your place of work.

But why believe me, I just happen to know what is going on and have taken the time and effort (and it wasn't much effort) to keep myself informed....

FootTapper

Sergeant
So I had a look at AFRS 06...

Turns out that a Cpl, signed on to 22 and having completed 14 years service at the time of redundancy would get 21 months pay as their lump sum.

£58k. Nice.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Nope I couldn't find it either.

Here's hoping my rank and trade are in the frame!

I had a read of JSP 764 Part 5 Chapter 2 earlier and it gave me a headache that I still have. However, it would be appear that a Cpl on AFPS05 who has completed 14 years of a 22 year engagement would be eligible for a redundancy payout of 14/8 salary, i.e., around £58000. But you wouldn't get another penny until your preserved pension, so no early departure payments and no second lump sum. I think.

The best thing would be to wait for details on ranks and trades to be published when they should also publish details on how to get an accurate forecast of redundancy benefits from SPVA.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I had a read of JSP 764 Part 5 Chapter 2 earlier and it gave me a headache that I still have. However, it would be appear that a Cpl on AFPS05 who has completed 14 years of a 22 year engagement would be eligible for a redundancy payout of 14/8 salary, i.e., around £58000. But you wouldn't get another penny until your preserved pension, so no early departure payments and no second lump sum. I think.

The best thing would be to wait for details on ranks and trades to be published when they should also publish details on how to get an accurate forecast of redundancy benefits from SPVA.

That would make sense.

Two penn'orth

Two penn'orth

For whatever good it may do the old days of golden bowlers for redundancy appear to have gone. Looking at both DIN and JSP schemes it looks like those who are entitled to EDP and immediate pension are limited to x months max, I haven't put a figure on it because the JSP limit and the DIN limit differ between the two schemes so it is unclear. Those unlucky enough not to qualify for EDP and immediate pension are calculated differently, which is how you see figures of 58-60 plus k bandied around. Sounds a lot but if you are suddenly 20-30 years away fom a penshun it isn't that much really.....

Stax

Flight Sergeant
I asked the AFBLT what would happen to anyone on the 05 pension if they were made compulsory redundant. Bearing in mind those of us who changed to it did so knowing that we HAD to stay until 55 or we lost out. Now if the MOD decide to chop me and I lose out on gratuity/pension where do I stand in taking the MOD to court? Bearing in mind I have done nothing wrong, no adverse reports etc. Any barrack room lawyers any ideas? Or alternativley any members of the RAF Legal profession out there? BTW still no answer from the AFBLT.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I asked the AFBLT what would happen to anyone on the 05 pension if they were made compulsory redundant. Bearing in mind those of us who changed to it did so knowing that we HAD to stay until 55 or we lost out. Now if the MOD decide to chop me and I lose out on gratuity/pension where do I stand in taking the MOD to court? Bearing in mind I have done nothing wrong, no adverse reports etc. Any barrack room lawyers any ideas? Or alternativley any members of the RAF Legal profession out there? BTW still no answer from the AFBLT.

Probably in the same boat as someone who stayed on AFPS 75 who then got promoted to FS and moved to the High Pay band, ie would be a lot better off under AFPS 05. You made a choice on what you expected to happen, the redundancy payment is your compensation and even the low payouts are higher than statutory payments, which if you check here you can see you're not entitled too.

Employees not entitled to redundancy payment

If you fall into the following categories then you are not entitled to receive statutory redundancy pay:

* members of the armed forces
* House of Lords and House of Commons staff
* some apprentices - although you should check your contract
* some employees with fixed-term contracts before 1 October 2002 - you should check your contract of employment
* domestic servants working in private homes who are members of the employer’s immediate close family
* share fishermen paid only by a share in the proceeds of the catch
* Crown servants or employees in a public office
* employees of the government of an overseas territory

You should check your contract or speak to your employer to see if you have any contractual redundancy entitlements.

Probably in the same boat as someone who stayed on AFPS 75 who then got promoted to FS and moved to the High Pay band, ie would be a lot better off under AFPS 05. You made a choice on what you expected to happen, the redundancy payment is your compensation and even the low payouts are higher than statutory payments, which if you check here you can see you're not entitled too.

Employees not entitled to redundancy payment

If you fall into the following categories then you are not entitled to receive statutory redundancy pay:

* members of the armed forces
* House of Lords and House of Commons staff
* some apprentices - although you should check your contract
* some employees with fixed-term contracts before 1 October 2002 - you should check your contract of employment
* domestic servants working in private homes who are members of the employer’s immediate close family
* share fishermen paid only by a share in the proceeds of the catch
* Crown servants or employees in a public office
* employees of the government of an overseas territory

You should check your contract or speak to your employer to see if you have any contractual redundancy entitlements.

Not a great shock, we have practically no rights under any law so not surprised they've worked that little clause in.