• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reds "incident"...

Blue72

SAC
You are correct -it absolutely is a zero/zero seat and was operated in conditions which should have been survivable had it functioned correctly.

Thanks for confirmation (And OldStacker too) - I was sure that this was the case.

FootTapper - you question previously about how many other occasions that this same situation may have occurred but for there being sufficient speed to over-ride the jammed shackle - the incident in Crete in 2010 may possibly be one - as that also involved a RAFAT Hawk and indeed many of the same personnel.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Thanks for confirmation (And OldStacker too) - I was sure that this was the case.

FootTapper - you question previously about how many other occasions that this same situation may have occurred but for there being sufficient speed to over-ride the jammed shackle - the incident in Crete in 2010 may possibly be one - as that also involved a RAFAT Hawk and indeed many of the same personnel.

I suspect the issue is/was much wider than just RAFAT Hawks - the seat type is used on Tornado and the 9B2 used on the Jaguar had very similar/identical scissor shackle arrangement.

It's quite possible there has been many ejections at speed from RAF aircraft which would not have been successful as a zero/zero.

My memory is hazy - but I have a vague recollection of fitting Jag seats and fastening the drogue shackle until either the thread bottomed, or there was 1.5 threads showing, whichever happened first. (There is a chance my addled brain has just invented all that, but it rings a vague and distant bell)

dctyke

Corporal
I suspect the issue is/was much wider than just RAFAT Hawks - the seat type is used on Tornado and the 9B2 used on the Jaguar had very similar/identical scissor shackle arrangement.

It's quite possible there has been many ejections at speed from RAF aircraft which would not have been successful as a zero/zero.

My memory is hazy - but I have a vague recollection of fitting Jag seats and fastening the drogue shackle until either the thread bottomed, or there was 1.5 threads showing, whichever happened first. (There is a chance my addled brain has just invented all that, but it rings a vague and distant bell)

Jag mk 9 seats had shouldered scissor shackle bolts that could not be over tightened. Alss jags were around in the days of seat bays so that bolt would never be touched at 1st line.

Last edited:

FootTapper

Sergeant
Jag mk 9 seats had shouldered scissor shackle bolts that could not be over tightened. Alss jags were around in the days of seat bays so that bolt would never be touched at 1st line.

I think it's unfair to say the shackle bolt on the RAFAT Hawk was "over tightened" - this may be a matter of semantics, but using the phrase "over tightened" suggests the tightening was carried out incorrectly, which implicates the tradesman, supervisor and independent checker as having some responsibility for the tragic loss of life.
The shackle bolt was correctly tightened in accordance with the Maintenance Procedure in use and the extant engineering best practice.

Without measuring all the drogue shackles and shackle bolts it's impossible to know whether the manufacturing tolerance allowed a bolt tightened to the shoulder to compress the shackle sufficiently to cause this issue. I do wonder if the previous design of shackle bolt was more resistant to this issue why it wasn't used on the later seat?

I'm trying to think back if I ever had to fit a drogue shackle on the line - possibly a head box change? (was that even a thing?) Like I say it's been a while - I could just be remembering doing the drogue shackle bolt at Cosford on the seats phase.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It has just been on my local BBC news that Martin Baker have pleaded guilty to charges relating to the incident, I missed the specifics but will try and find out more ..........

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Martin Baker fine amount now released £1.1M

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-43171049

"An ejection seat manufacturer prosecuted over the death of a Red Arrows pilot thrown from his jet has been fined £1.1m.
Martin-Baker Aircraft Ltd previously admitted to breaching safety laws at Lincoln Crown Court. Sentencing the company, Mrs Justice Carr said it was "an entirely preventable tragedy".

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
In my poor observations, this matter seems to have been cleared up rather too easily, quickly and far too tidily for my suspicious mind...I think a deal has been struck outside the courts. Time will tell, but I don't think the RAF can make an enemy of Martin Baker.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't think the RAF can make an enemy of Martin Baker.

What!! are you suggesting that an arm of government would be hand in glove with a private firm that has a virtual monopoly in its chosen market, surely not. :pDT_Xtremez_42: