• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF prejudice towards single personnel

Also you will find a lot of single personnel are NOT young singleys. I am 35 and living in the block. I know of married personnel younger than me, straight out of training an straight into married quarters at their first posting.

Which of these two things are you?

You are 35 and live in the block because you are a sad, but rich, singly.

You are 35 and live in the block because you have ten kids by six different women. You are sad and skint singly.

But thirty farkin five and single? Jeeeez, I bet every one of your socks looks like they've been dipped in a bucket of wallpaper paste.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
With all due respect. Those that live in married quarters get subsidised accommodation for there length of stay. Qoute me if I am wrong but a 3 or 4 bedroom house would not cost a married person anymore than £300 a month rental charge. They, as a family would save thousands over the course of a posting compared to living in a private property, especially if they were posted somewhere in the south where rental charges are astronomical. So I am of the opinion that removal costs should be burdened by the family when it comes to moving. After all, they would be able to afford it just the same as the singley guy who may have to move lets say from Oxfordshire to Scotland and have to move a room full of stuff in his car on a budget of £80. It just would not be possible and I suspect when a single person is posted it would take 2 or 3 trips to move his or her gear to his next posting and would be out of pocket.

With all due respect, you need to take your head out from your arse and realise that £75 a month for an en-suite room, heating, lighting, water is utter peanuts, and having your and your neighbours rooms' checked every 4-6 months is a small price to pay.

As I said earlier (Although I doubt you read anything that doesn't suit your agenda), my 18yr old daughter will be paying around £400 a month for what you receive for £75 a month. As others have said, if you don't like the terms and conditions for having heavily subsidised (by me and other taxpayers) accommodation, then move out into the big wide world.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Which of these two things are you?

You are 35 and live in the block because you are a sad, but rich, singly.

You are 35 and live in the block because you have ten kids by six different women. You are sad and skint singly.

But thirty farkin five and single? Jeeeez, I bet every one of your socks looks like they've been dipped in a bucket of wallpaper paste.

There goes the standard of conversation. Well it made I laarf. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Let me explain things in simple terms because some of you are not understanding the simple objective of this post and that is to highlight the disparity in treatment of single personnel living in service accommodation and married personnel also living in service accommodation.

Example - Two trainees pass out of Cosford. Both get posted to RAF Leeming. One is single and one is married. The single guy gets put into SLAM (service accommodation) and is subject to regular SWO and Station Commander inspections with the potential of disciplinary action if he or she fails to meet standards expected. He or she is also required to show proof of TV licence. The married guy goes into married quarters (service accommodation), never has to do a single inspection, never has to worry about disciplinary action and also never has to show proof of TV licence.

Where is the equality people?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Let me explain things in simple terms because some of you are not understanding the simple objective of this post and that is to highlight the disparity in treatment of single personnel living in service accommodation and married personnel also living in service accommodation.

Example - Two trainees pass out of Cosford. Both get posted to RAF Leeming. One is single and one is married. The single guy gets put into SLAM (service accommodation) and is subject to regular SWO and Station Commander inspections with the potential of disciplinary action if he or she fails to meet standards expected. He or she is also required to show proof of TV licence. The married guy goes into married quarters (service accommodation), never has to do a single inspection, never has to worry about disciplinary action and also never has to show proof of TV licence.

OK. How many people have had disciplinary action taken against them. If you keep your pit clean and tidy what do you have to worry about. I pay for my licence every month over the phone if I'm even a day late a letter comes threatening me. So what's the problem.

foxOneFive

Corporal

The TV licencing thing is not correct. Since the recent change in the "BBC Law?" You now need a tv licence if you watch
catch up blah blah online etc. Two mates I know who work for a well known "meter reader" company who completely
fuugedd up the 2012 Olympics. Unfortunately for them between reading little old ladies meters and giving them up to
date bills are between jobs bunging TV licence reminders thro doors all over the UK.

Ps: Hilarious this thread, better than the Archers!

Kryten

Warrant Officer

Except that married guy can get a visit from TV Licensing on his front door - singley cant. Married guy pays full council tax, singley doesn't.

I personally don't think its fair that some letting agencies do monthly or quarterly checks, and some don't. Life's a p***ser...if you don't like your lot, only you can change it.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant

OK, The single airman lives in SLAM, keeps his bunk clean, does bull nights, etc. He is posted, everything is OK, hands his key in. Job done.

The married airman moves into MQ and slobs out, no bull nights, etc. He is posted at the same time as the previous airman. He has to 'March Out' of his quarter. I suggest you read up on some of the horror stories that go on here.

OK, The single airman lives in SLAM, keeps his bunk clean, does bull nights, etc. He is posted, everything is OK, hands his key in. Job done.

The married airman moves into MQ and slobs out, no bull nights, etc. He is posted at the same time as the previous airman. He has to 'March Out' of his quarter. I suggest you read up on some of the horror stories that go on here.

Could it be perceived then that married personnel moving out of married quarters get into all sorts of bother during 'March Out' because over the course of his posting his service accomodation has never had an inspection so the quarter has never had to be maintained to a high standard compared to that expected of singleys in their blocks. Thus proves that married personnel are getting it easier than their single counterparts.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Could it be perceived then that married personnel moving out of married quarters get into all sorts of bother during 'March Out' because over the course of his posting his service accomodation has never had an inspection so the quarter has never had to be maintained to a high standard compared to that expected of singleys in their blocks. Thus proves that married personnel are getting it easier than their single counterparts.

Rubbish. All it proves is that the house has experienced more wear and tear as a result of a family living in it. And if you have a family with children then you are generally thought of as more responsible than a singley and therefore more likely to do that little thing called "housework".
I'm still not sure why this is such an issue for you given that at 35 the ability to move out is within your grasp?

PraiseBacon

Sergeant

Actually it is you that is missing the point - although I suspect deliberately..

let me also explain it in simple terms:

A landlord has the right to inspect property they own at intervals determined within the contract.

For living in block - the block is owned by the MoD, inspections have delegated authority to the Station Commander - who exercises it through i/c block , SWO and Station Commanders inspections. Which serve not only to ensure maintenance is done - but have a role in the duty of care of young airmen.

SNCO living in - same rights exist, although are undertaken less frequently, reflecting a consideration that SNCO's are generally more mature and responsible

Married in hiring - inspected a often as landlord wishes and is contractually allowed (range from monthly to never - at landlords choice) - kind of blows your differential treatment argument apart though!)

Married in MQ's - these were sold years ago to Annignton Hones (IIRC), who are the landlord, carry out repairs and can inspect as per the contract - but it is generally their choice not to unless they are given reason. For the avoidance of doubt - this is Anningtons choice - not prejudice being shown by the RAF

Also, As MQ's and local hiring can be reached by license detectors - having a license in mandatory

Finally, it you are unhappy about the terms offered to you on base - then move off and hire / buy locally. Good luck getting anything anywhere near the value offered by a single airman's block though..

Last edited:

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant

Er, no.

I would imagine that in the many thousands of SFA out there, there are probably some who 'slum it' (some of the houses are in such a bad state of repair, and have had so many botch job repairs done, that they look like slums regardless of how well you clean them).

However - I'll use myself as an example - my wife is a clean freak, every surface is constantly wiped down / hoovered / anti-bacterialised on a daily basis. We even have our own carpet shampooing machine, which gets wheeled out for the most minor spill. But even with this level of narcisistic cleansing, it still hase to be done to 'white glove test' standards for a marchout. Every fault is reported as they are discovered, and are generally gaffa-taped by Carillion Amey. But for a march-out, they expect carpets to be cleansed to within an inch of their lives, and EVERY SINGLE WALL IN THE HOUSE TO BE SPOTLESS. Not a single mark. That generally means that, after a 3 year tour, I have to repaint the entire SFA.

Whereas, if I were single, living in the block - I would vacuum the carpet, wipe out 3 cupboards and a window sill, drop any 'stores' bedding wherever it goes, and leave.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Whereas, if I were single, living in the block - I would vacuum the carpet, wipe out 3 cupboards and a window sill, drop any 'stores' bedding wherever it goes, and leave.
I thought they'd have their own. Nice flowery set. Matching curtains laura ashley special.

I lived in the block as it was a lifestyle money choice. Loved to travel and I also never spent longer than 2 years in one place in this country.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Er, no.

I would imagine that in the many thousands of SFA out there, there are probably some who 'slum it' (some of the houses are in such a bad state of repair, and have had so many botch job repairs done, that they look like slums regardless of how well you clean them).

However - I'll use myself as an example - my wife is a clean freak, every surface is constantly wiped down / hoovered / anti-bacterialised on a daily basis. We even have our own carpet shampooing machine, which gets wheeled out for the most minor spill. But even with this level of narcisistic cleansing, it still hase to be done to 'white glove test' standards for a marchout. Every fault is reported as they are discovered, and are generally gaffa-taped by Carillion Amey. But for a march-out, they expect carpets to be cleansed to within an inch of their lives, and EVERY SINGLE WALL IN THE HOUSE TO BE SPOTLESS. Not a single mark. That generally means that, after a 3 year tour, I have to repaint the entire SFA.

You forgot to mention BOGS, BASINS, OVEN, and GARDEN. I shouldn't think the OP has had to tackle any of those for some considerable time.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

Yes, there is a disparity in their treatment you are absolutely correct. But there's nothing sinister or prejudicial or biased or any other such emotive and hyperbolic term about it.
I'm actually mystified that you cannot or will not see the differences between single liver-inners and married personnel living in quarters, they've been spelled out quite clearly and deliberately in the many preceding posts. I suspect you're carrying a bit of a persecution complex that is clouding your judgement on this.

The Nip

LAC
FQs

FQs

Just for some clarity, some of these points have been made but some people are not listening.

They are Families Accomodation. You don't have to be married to obtain one. They are not owned by the MOD. They are owned by a civilian company (Annington homes, Nomura Bank?) They sub contract the control and allocation and sub contract the maintenance. The MOD has no authority over what happens within the property. Service pers are Licensees not tenants. See your contract on hand over. It means you have slightly less rights.

If if you are really bored have a look at how much they were sold for. How much the owners have made in leasing and selling off the surplus. And how much the remaining estate is worth. It is truly mind blowing.

I have seen the RAF Police unable to enter the property with a domestic problem ensuing. They had to wait for the civi police and this was behind the wire at Leeming.

I have seen all types of firstly MQs the FQs some good some appalling. I spent 27 years in them through my own choice. It used to be cheap living while accepting, sometimes poor standards.