• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF on TV?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
So....Is a "Liney Death-Duel" (!) with or without marshalling bats and ear defenders?
Do you get to wave at each other across a Pan? or is it just the quickest run around a mighty torpedo taking the pins and bungs off? (Oh, Forgot the earth lead!)

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Rigga said:
So....Is a "Liney Death-Duel" (!) with or without marshalling bats and ear defenders?
Do you get to wave at each other across a Pan? or is it just the quickest run around a mighty torpedo taking the pins and bungs off? (Oh, Forgot the earth lead!)

If it's speedwalking i've got you all beat!!

Still hold the Lyneham speed walking record! J2 to Bay 25 faster than a Fairy could drive there!!!!!! :D

O

oldhamboy1967

Life In a Blue Suit on the Box...

Life In a Blue Suit on the Box...

Does anyone remember Squadron?

It went out in the late 80s, it only survived for one series I think and it was truly horrendous from what I remember. Unlike the humour of Soldier Soldier and the storylines of Red Cap there was no drama, poor scripts and a totally unrealistic depiction of life in the RAF. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Or, in the very early eighties (or was it the very late seventies? - the mind goes you know)...

Fighter Pilot!

That ended in the hapless sucker actually being made a "Bomber" pilot on Buccaneers.

Still got my own hammers, but I don't have to use 'em much.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Don't remember "Fighter Pilot", but I was a singly in the late 70's early 80's and on the pi55 a lot. I do remember "Squadron", it was a right dogs dinner. A special fast alert Sqn made up of Hercs, Harriers and Helicopters (might have been some gunners as well) who flew all over the world to fight injustice dah dah daaaah!

As to you Inch High, how dare you try and tempt a laydee with Fish and Chips. Everyone of my generation knows it should be Flowers, preferably Red roses, fine wine's, Belgian chocolates and a quiet, intimate little bistro. Yes making love to a woman is like deploying a Rapier fire unit. Recce the area well, taking care that there are no surprises in the undegrowth. Get your equipment ready and lay it out, it works in all weathers so protection isn't required, unless the terrain has been well used by others. Position everything in such a way that you can load your missile quickly. Then lay back and wait for the coming explosion's before you let your rocket fly! Ahhhhhhhh I'm spent!

S

SLRious

Hmm... of course the very best docu-drama depicting life in the RAF was

"Get Some In"

mid to late 70's, i think!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Get some in...awesome

Classic lines

" Fag for the Corporal"

" My name is Corporal Marsh.. spelt B-A-S-T-A-R-D"

Bring it back!!

I

Inch High PI

There was an RAF-based comedy on BBC in the late 90's. I use the term comedy lightly as I remember it being pi$h.

I have trawled through google for it but can't find it. Seem to remember It revolved around a Wg Cdr, Flt Lt and an SAC (who insisted on wearing his rank slides upside down, STANDARDS!!!!)

Name of the show is really bugging me, must be a testament as to how $hite it was as even good ol' google can't help.

Stax!! Everyone knows the way to a womens heart is through her stomach!! Especially if you add a wee bit of Rohypnol!!! ;)

*Inch High PI does not condone the use of Rohypnol or any other well known brands*

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Inch High PI said:
There was an RAF-based comedy on BBC in the late 90's. I use the term comedy lightly as I remember it being pi$h.

I have trawled through google for it but can't find it. Seem to remember It revolved around a Wg Cdr, Flt Lt and an SAC (who insisted on wearing his rank slides upside down, STANDARDS!!!!)

Name of the show is really bugging me, must be a testament as to how $hite it was as even good ol' google can't help.

Stax!! Everyone knows the way to a womens heart is through her stomach!! Especially if you add a wee bit of Rohypnol!!! ;)

*Inch High PI does not condone the use of Rohypnol or any other well known brands*

Googled it, it was called "All along the Watchtower" it must have been pi5h as I really can't remember it and I had young kids in the early 90's so I often sat watching crap on TV through the night trying to get the bu66ers to sleep!

As to Rohypnol, in my day it was Pernod and Cider, legal and just as lethal!

What about "strike force" then? I was at a certain North Yorkshire station when they filmed it...... Rubbish, pure absolute rubbish!

Last edited:
O

oldhamboy1967

The FOMz said:
Ah yes - All along the Watchtower, set in a scopie bunker in scotland wasn't it?

OMG that was so s**t! It wasn't even good comedy, forget the realism!!! :eek:

If we go back to the RAF in WW2, how about Pathfinders? And I'm not showing my age, because I have it on video...

I'm just showing I'm a cabbage... :cool:

I

izitme

Stax said:
Don't remember "Fighter Pilot", but I was a singly in the late 70's early 80's and on the pi55 a lot. I do remember "Squadron", it was a right dogs dinner. A special fast alert Sqn made up of Hercs, Harriers and Helicopters (might have been some gunners as well) who flew all over the world to fight injustice dah dah daaaah!

I was working in ATC at lyneham when they film'd that rubbish -talk about chaos!

Stax

Flight Sergeant
beerengineer said:
What about "strike force" then? I was at a certain North Yorkshire station when they filmed it...... Rubbish, pure absolute rubbish!

Forgot about that one! That had the FS that could do everything, remove seat pins, get a car parked, get some beer, sort out rooms in the officers mess, he was a god. No sign of QA, H&S, NVQ's, etc, lucky bugger (and he had pens in his sleeve pocket on the line!)

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Did any one watch "Shipmates" last night. Poor old Devenport, they worked so hard and failed at the end. That 'Tash would get it though! However the reason for me asking is, did you spot the rotund Chief Tech who was supervising the Devenport team in the final, what an advert for the RAF! If anyone knows him he needs to be slabbed, now!
On to the subject at hand "RAF on TV", if they did a "Shipmates" type thing the only way I can see it working, is by filming at several different units. Maybe show an Orifice and an Erk going through recruit training, a Chopper Sqn doing disaster and rescue stuff. A Harrier Sqn OOA in Afghanistan and working with the Matelots and finally A Regt Field Sqn doing FP in Basra. Its the only way I can see to highlight the fact we do make a difference and play an important part in the military.

S

shoutingwind

stax- write in to the beeb and suggest it! its a good idea

none of you can take me to dinner unless you come and rescue me from the desert. :p and liney death duel with wands (as lightsabers) of course!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Stax said:
Did any one watch "Shipmates" last night. Poor old Devenport, they worked so hard and failed at the end. That 'Tash would get it though!

Stax - Ha, she's nicer than your usual jack & danny you pick! :D

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
shoutingwind said:
none of you can take me to dinner unless you come and rescue me from the desert. :p

Typical female - promises the earth then does a runner before coming up with the goods! :D Enjoy the sand!! :cool:

I

Inch High PI

I would come and rescue you from the desert, but I can't seem to get a flight from Brize. Been waiting at South Cerney all night!!!!

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Norman the Storeman said:
Stax - Ha, she's nicer than your usual jack & danny you pick! :D

Ha yeah, you got me there Norman, but I was young and dumb back then, now I'm just old and dumb, any young, female interest picks me up and helps me move the old bathchair along. Still shall we start a thread on your past exploits? Hmmmm?

Strike Force!

What utter pap!

The RAF does need a decent TV show to get some credibility back!

Maybe even inspire the youth of today to join or at least support us!

But all we get are adverts with guys getting splinters and fly on the way documentaries. Yawn!

But there is a massive danger of it turning out cheesey and $hite!

strike.gif

Strike Force Yorkshire TV 1995