• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF on TV?

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Magnum Magnum PI said:
But all we get are adverts with guys getting splinters and fly on the way documentaries. Yawn!

But there is a massive danger of it turning out cheesey and $hite!

strike.gif

Strike Force Yorkshire TV 1995

Discovered recently that the advert with the splinter in the finger actually led to an increase in recruitment! However it increased the panty waisted, limp wristed, snot nosed, nappy wearing gits that we are now having to encourage to PVR! The other Ad with the Herc dropping supplies on a beleagured village was withdrawn as being too "scary". Does anyone else see something intrinsically wrong with this!

O

oldhamboy1967

Just Like Any Other Job

Just Like Any Other Job

...But With Wings On was my own personal fave! :rolleyes:

B

Bluntend

I thought the 'Their Country Needs You' campaign particularly good. Not only did it show off all the 'punchy' and 'exciting' sides to the RAF, but also an idea of the kind of missions we are increasingly involved in.

O

oldhamboy1967

Redcap

Redcap

If we go back to the original purpose of the thread something along the lines of Redcap is what's needed for a fictional programme. Apart from the actual programme the 10 second plugs for the Army in between scenes were excellent.

As for a docusoap I really enjoyed HMS Brilliant when that was on - "Good evening, First Hand speaking..."

T

Twonston Pickle

Has Soldier Soldier been mentioned already? Despite the poncy gits involved, it actually made the Amry seem a little more human and people could relate to the characters.

I suggest that the RAF do something similar: "Techie, Techie" or "Airman, Airwoman" might be good. Needless to say really but any docu-soap about the RAF should focus on all and not just the 2 wing master race.

Kwaka69

LAC
SLRious beat me to it but "Get Some In" was really entertaining and unfortunately probably more accurate than later series about the RAF.

Problem is get a camera near an airbase and all the rodneys crawl out from underneath their rocks, I remember when the James Bond film was being made at Odiham all their fopery and self importance, quite sickening. Extras to play the marine grunts ? officers to a man.

T

The Waco Kid

documentary at Lyneham?

documentary at Lyneham?

Me thinks, bringing the Tv people to Lyneham would be the worst thing possible. It would show how incompetent our leaders are, also the world would know that we get money for old rope, lets keep our secrets safe. On the other hand it would prove that those guys on Contiunity Flight really do work and keep Lyneham afloat. He He.:D

B

Bushy Mills

10 or so years ago the BBC wanted to do a fly on the wall documentary. Unfortunately they wanted to follow a bunch of recruits through Phase 1 training and decided that Cranwell was the place to go. We (the newbies that were going to be going through at the time) were warned about it.

Not exactly sure what happened (you know what the rumour mill is like) but allegedly the Beeb pulled the pin because the RAF wanted editorial control. The Air Staff did not want a 'no holds barred' view of the service as had appeared in a similar one about the Navy earlier that year.

So instead the BBC went off to the Army (thankfully) and filmed some series about a bunch of Army Recruits. No idea what it was called and no idea how it was received.

That may explain why the Beeb have been reluctant in coming back to the Air Force.

Personally I think it was a blessing in disguise. I had already ensured that if they filmed it I would have one of those fuzzy effects as the last thing I wanted was to be recognised on TV.

Oh and Strike Force - Wasn't that the one on the Jag Squadron but they also had navigators - muppets??

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Bushy Mills said:
So instead the BBC went off to the Army (thankfully) and filmed some series about a bunch of Army Recruits. No idea what it was called and no idea how it was received.

It was called"Gone for a soldier" (an old folk song title) narrated by Billy Bragg and concentrated on a Fusilier Regiment and a bunch of RLC recruits. It was a good series, in fact it ran to a 2nd series, and it showed the Warts and all aspects (guys failing BFT, Drugs tests etc) Also showed the lads and lasses on the pi55 which was an interesting concept!

If anyone is intersted, there is a book of the same name (not the book of the series) which tells how the army came to be (and ultimitely the RAF) over the years from its inception as individual private armies. Read the chapter on Sgts Messes, its very funny and very accuarte, even today!