• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF on TV?

B

Bluntend

In recent weeks the BBC has aired two well produced 'fly on the wall' documentaries following HMS Chatham (‘Shipmates’) and the Queen’s Cavalry (imaginatively named ‘The Queen’s Cavalry). Both series show the Navy and the Army to be both professional and able and are, generally speaking, non-sensationalist. Both documentaries have received good press with most of the individuals involved coming off in a positive light. The documentaries also highlighted the problems and issues faced by servicemen and women at all levels. If these two documentaries prove to be a success, the Army and RN will gain not only good PR but also improved public awareness and support for the men and women at the ‘front line’. Therefore, is it about time the RAF invites the media to look at the way we do business?

I think it is fare to say that many of the public do not understand how a RAF Station works. For example, the interaction of a Station and the numerous organisations and agencies that support it and its operations or the issues and challenges faced by the men and women who are stationed there. There certainly seems to be a feeling amongst many people that when the RAF go to war its still a case of 5* hotels thousands of miles from ‘the enemy’. What the public don’t see is an increasing commitment, the roles that airmen and women carry out in theatre, the training burden, manpower cuts, the number of non-combat operations (FBU cover, foot and mouth outbreaks, rescues from floods, blizzards etc) and the personal effect on the individuals involved – friends, family etc. This thread on PPRUNE covers public ignorance to defence related issues in quite a lot of depth:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=111156&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

There is evidence that some members of the Great British Public’ still believe that our food and accommodation are not only of an exceptionally high standard but also free, that we don’t pay tax, we all knock off at 12 on a Friday and get Wednesday afternoons off for sport, all our kit is modern and reliable and our pay is fantastic. Perhaps it is time for a documentary maker and the RAF to work together to set the record straight.

Now, I’m not suggesting that the BBC assign a camera crew to follow a bunch of aircrew from Cranwell to the front line. I think we’ve all grown tired of that view of the RAF. Instead why not look at every other aspect of service life – the airman arriving at Cosford, the WO retiring after 38 years service, an EngO or a CRO and his role in the local community to name a few. Why not look at all the ‘behind the scenes’ work we all do – the charity work, the additional and secondary duties, or even the impact that the loss of an aircraft and its crews has on the whole Station community. What about Remembrance Sunday for example? The potential is there to really demonstrate exactly how professional we are but also the enormity of the challenge we face. As long as its not made by the same team of muppets who have produced the RAF’s recruiting adverts over the last 3 to 4 years, it could really raise the profile of the Service and gain us the public support we rightly deserve.

S

SLRious

Bluntend said:
There is evidence that some members of the Great British Public’ still believe that our food and accommodation are not only of an exceptionally high standard but also free, that we don’t pay tax, we all knock off at 12 on a Friday and get Wednesday afternoons off for sport, all our kit is modern and reliable and our pay is fantastic. Perhaps it is time for a documentary maker and the RAF to work together to set the record straight.

What do you mean “set the record straight” you don’t know you’re born!!!

And be careful what you wish for, those CAV types were made to look as crap as they are.

M

manwithaplan

I'm sure a programme about the RAF would be very interesting :
Episode 1 : Lyneham and its fleet of non flying Hercules
Episode 2: Brize Norton and the quite spectacular 216 static display squadron
Episode 3 : The big farewell , come and say goodbye as the guys that you have been watching for the last 2 weeks leave the airforce on redundancy
Episode 4 : 90 % of wrafs are kicked out because they are operationally unfit

Hmmmm maybe sticking to the Navy and Army is a better idea.

S

shoutingwind

i think thats a good idea, they should deffinatly come to lyneham. it'd be nice for people to see the truth and not the dream world they think we live in.
they should come with me to BAS on monday a "a day in the life of a overworked wraf, totally surround by guys once more going unto the desert...." catchy title huh?

"a day in the life of a overworked wraf, totally surround by guys once more going unto the desert...." catchy title huh?

'WRAF' isn't very PC. Its 'insert rank'(F) nowdays love. But don't you worry your pretty little head, a man will be along in a bit to correct your post for you.

;)

Stax

Flight Sergeant
5od correcting her post, that avatars almost as horny as Opz'. Probably means she is as wide as she is tall with a wall eye (didn't she once work in the NAAFI). Also quite like the tag "shoutingwind" very spiritualy/native americany/at one with naturey type thingy, you know Gaia the earth mother, Druids you know? no? oh ok I'll get me coat............. (scuttles off into his hole)

budgie

The new Dirk Diggler
There's more to the RAF than just Lyneham. Bring them to BAE's newest factory, just outside Swaffham, RAF Marham!

B

Bluntend

There's more to the RAF than just Lyneham...
Budgie, give it a couple of years and it won't even be that :(

Maybe a documentary would do us some good as well as Joe Public. There are plenty of misconceptions about what different trades do and the challenges each trade faces, for example, why do all stackers seem to think that when the techies complain about Lean, their complaints are unfounded? Answer, because most duvet fluffers know nothing about what techies do (and vise versa I might add). Likewise, in SHQ, aside from the Staish, who really knows what goes on in ATC (aside from spending all their time on e-goat bitching at each other)? I for one know little about what goes on in Handbrake House and reserve the right to abuse all Adminers until someone can convince me that they're actually worth their pay. Maybe a documentary could shed some light on the challenges faced my Man Serv's or the day to day workload that overwhelms the Admin Clerks on an all to regular basis - now there's a challenge for the BBC! I know its all a bit tree huggy but maybe if we actually understood a little about what we each do there'd be a little more co-operation between trades or at least a few dispelled myths.

Oh and SLRious, if you're worried about being shown in a bad light, best stay away from the cameras, eh? :D

Last edited:
A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Bluntend. If you are interested in finding out what other trades do why don't you go and visit the respective sections and ask them. A radical thought I know.

S

shoutingwind

"WRAF' isn't very PC. Its 'insert rank'(F) nowdays love. But don't you worry your pretty little head, a man will be along in a bit to correct your post for you." stacker i think you'll find that its 'rank (w)' and the only time i'll use that is if i've got a route (so i don't have to share a room)

but still, you guys are so sweet! i'm not as wide as i am tall (5'7" and size 12), but i am blonde and i don't work in the naffi. engines all the way man :)

shoutingwind is from High flight by john magee, and yeah it does have that whole spirtial thing going- thats why i use it. ;)

Last edited:
I

Inch High PI

but still, you guys are so sweet! i'm not as wide as i am tall (5'7" and size 12), but i am blonde and i don't work in the naffi. engines all the way man :)

Where have you been all my life??? ;)
Fancy going out sometime??

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Inch High PI said:

Where have you been all my life??? ;)
Fancy going out sometime??

Fight you for her, you bounder!

S

shoutingwind

wow! bestill my beating heart- i've never had guys fighting for me before! so how come you'd never notice me around the line then? probably coz i'm always working..... LOL

:cool: hows about a liney death duel? dinner for the winner

Goaty

Corporal
I'm in for this. Whats it going to be, 3 man enter and 1 man leaves. Big knife in the middle of the room and then the lights go out, wait until the door opens and the winner comes out.

Or are we going to do it liney style......... ;)

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
There is only one way of doing this, and it has to be naked sumo

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Gonna be a pretty busy room! But not a pretty sight! Is this thread gonna change it's title to "how to raise the popularity of WRAF's!" :confused:

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Hah! naked Sumo, are you a panty waister or what. Get into the cage, no holds barred, big knives, chainsaws, broken bottles, ferrets, whatever (sorry scratch ferrets thats just me) I'm ready when you are, if my Mum says it's OK, and anyway my mates a real para and he can beat a bootie any day, he got his wings by doing P coy (oops sorry wrong thread there) Right my mates a liney and he drank a pint of someones puke (oh damn wrong thread again) Right! my mates a loadie and he gets so much money for makeing tea (bugger, I keep getting on the wrong thread, must stop posting I might turn into a moderator!)

F

FOMP

Back on thread for a min,

It's been done before. There was a documentory series a few years ago about Lyneham and another about Waddo called "Airbase". Guess what, the Rodneys hi-jacked em both. It was hilarious in the section where I worked every time the film crew came within 200 meters the Officers started combing their hair and putting on makeup!

All the film crew got really was a load of charity stuff ( a naked OC 8 sqn for a calender) and an over dramatised cable engagement. They were salivating for a crash (media gits I hate em) but fortunately they didn't get one, and I would have made sure the radio they left in the section to alert them would have been accidently switched off. They wanted me to arrange a bollicking (false) for a newly arrived LACW and I refused, she would have been labelled for life, the Boss was really P***ed Off that I had blocked it.

As for Tom Mangold and Panorama in 1986 at Waddo, we bent over backwards to help them and guess what, they rammed the bat up side ways and told a load of porkies.

Media, trust me we don't need em.

I

Inch High PI

shoutingwind said:
wow! bestill my beating heart- i've never had guys fighting for me before! so how come you'd never notice me around the line then? probably coz i'm always working..... LOL

:cool: hows about a liney death duel? dinner for the winner

Pick me and I will treat you to a sit down fish and chip meal!!! And then perhaps we can go back to yours for a coffee!????