• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Lyneham closing 2012

Maybe I'm a bit premature but, as a knackered old sh!t I get to read the AirMail RAFA mag and the most recent copy I've just read stated in there that RAF Lyneham was due to close in 2012.
I'm assuming this is good gen or they wouldn't have printed it.
My one question is where are they going put all the aircraft, at Brize or is there somewhere else that has room for the C-130 fleet??

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
It is common knowledge the 'J' fleet is going to Brize and the 'K' fleet is going in the bin.

Although I remember attending a brief many moons ago at a hanger at Lyneham and being told that Lyneham was closing and the 'K' fleet was being scrapped. The date that was bandied about at that brief has been and gone.

Undoubtedly some parts of Lyneham will move to Brize in 2012 (maybe even some bits in 2011) but I will be very very very surprised if the whole plan goes off to the (revised) schedule. Can we even cope without the 'K' fleet at present? The same brief told us all about the wonder replacement the A400M, which at the moment is still nowhere near being built (will it ever be built?)

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
September 2011, the airfield is due to close. Assuming things happen on time.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One big happy AT/AAR party at Brize mid 2011 - bring a tent!

Oh - no cars please, buses will be provided! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

sumps

Sergeant
So I couldn’t have got out at a better time then? Enjoy the bus:pDT_Xtremez_42: Still you could always sing lot of songs on that one hour(ish) trip to BZZ? :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Oh and I did hear that there is absolutely no money for belvedere to the point that the project team had been disbanded - so no heilo's movement to the southwest?

Last edited:
F

Full-PHAT-Roller

Belvadere's been scrapped, gen!...

Had a briefing off the Wing Co the other day, his words were "Lyneham is closing, regardless". They're too far down the line and have spent too much on CATARA to pull the plug now. Saving face in other words...

As for accomodation/transport, he reckons that volunteers will be allowed to stay in their quarters at Lyneham and travel daily. Motor mileage allowance will not be paid as a bus service will be provided...

There aren't, and won't be enough single accomodation rooms by the time of the move so there's talk of mass renting of property in the surrounding area. If you own a house in/around Brize/Cartoon town you may be quids in!...

Common belief among the lads here at Lyneham is that the Herc fleet will move and fly from Brize so the move seems successful in the public eye but come maintenance/rects time they could well end up back here in the sheds because the £M50 budgeted superhangar planned for Brize is runing £M27 short on funds!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If the rects/maint does happen here at Lyneham it'll be in the short term only as the airfield will be completely closed by Dec 31st 2012.

Personally, I think once we've up and left mid 2011, that'll be the end of any Herc activity at Lyneham.

F

Full-PHAT-Roller

If the rects/maint does happen here at Lyneham it'll be in the short term only as the airfield will be completely closed by Dec 31st 2012.

Personally, I think once we've up and left mid 2011, that'll be the end of any Herc activity at Lyneham.

Well I'll believe the airfield closure date when it's been, closed and gone!...

We all know these things never happen on time but it's nice to think that maybe, just maybe, the infrastrucure will be in place at BZN by the time LYN closes :S

P

POW

Another piece to add to the puzzle of the closure of RAF Lyneham. - the Vulcan is going to be stored here over winter in one of the hangers!!!!

P

pie sandwich

Dont be too sure on that one, One rumor I have heard is that Marshall's will be taking over, since there Herc contract is massive. I know it's gen because I heard it from a bloke who knows a bloke who told him down the pub who heard it in the NAAFI queue.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I heard Branson is going to turn it into a space port for the jethros to fly to the moon....

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't think that I've seen one project/unit move completed on time and to plan ever since I've been in the Air Force. Could it be down to moving our managers around every 2 years?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
What do I know - I only work here! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Still, never let a good rumour get in the way of facts!

Vulcan - this is still 2009 remember and more of a favour than a permanent arrangement.

Marshall - good one - never gonna happen as it makes too much sense!

Personally - I hope Lyneham does stay open - saves me a few miles extra a day travelling but having been on 2 other camps when they closed and heard all these staying open rumours before, I'll just get used to turning left off my drive and not right in 2 years time.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Call me a cynic, but..

Where are the 30-odd FSTA Airbus Tankers going to park......?