• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Hipsters Inbound!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good news, that'll solve all the problems we face!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
What's the new tat policy? I thought that wasn't changing??

Visible tattoos allowed. So neck, back of hand, gopping huge ones down a WRAF's leg which even 50 denier tights can't hide whilst they wear No.1 Uniform etc....:pDT_Xtremez_21:

Puma

SAC
How long before servicemen will be able to identify on their records as 'gender neutral'?

According to a recent D&I brief I was forced to attend you already can, however the instructor couldn't explain how this would work with the fitness test.

ChrisBrit81

Sergeant
I personally welcome the change.

I gave up trying to get a chit years ago... I suffer from in-grown hairs that develop under my skin due to shaving. Makes me look like a spotty teenager. Docs simply gave me acne cream and low strength antibiotics, neither of which ever made a difference.

I was on sick leave (unrelated) for 9 months last year and was able to grow a belter of a beard... after the first week or so of scrubbing my face as the beard grew, all my painful spots were gone (hairs had grown through). An affliction I'd lived with for nigh on 20 years, had disappeared. You have no idea how much of a psychological lift that gave me, especially as I recovered from my unrelated illness.

I can't wait to grow mine out again.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I won't be growing one. Even the smallest of girly goatees grown on leave makes my chin itch like mad after only a week and I always end up shaving it off again.

A good shave feels like peeling a gimp suit off and running round the garden naked.....

CS Chamber

CS Chamber

I am sure the RAF Regt are looking forward to the beardy Boys and Girls doing their annual Respirator check and the sound of choking hipsters!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
So, when are the beards happening?
Nothing heard yet, it's still being pushed through. But apparently the rules on tattoos have already been changed (very quietly, I might add). Our rules now state that you can't have any tattoos visible on a passport photo - and that's it. So tats on the hands, back of the neck and behind the ears are completely fine.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nothing heard yet, it's still being pushed through. But apparently the rules on tattoos have already been changed (very quietly, I might add). Our rules now state that you can't have any tattoos visible on a passport photo - and that's it. So tats on the hands, back of the neck and behind the ears are completely fine.

Says this in QRs now?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've spotted a few RAF beardies at a secret AT base in Oxfordshire this week... they cant all have shaving chits can they?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
True, the QR and AP havent' been changed yet. I've also searched for DINs or IBNs and can't find anything to confirm it.

However, my info came direct from an AFCO, so if they're doing it (perhaps using JSP 545 pt1 until the AP and QR are amended) then surely they've been told and have it in writing somewhere? They can't just be doing it off their own backs, surely?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
True, the QR and AP havent' been changed yet. I've also searched for DINs or IBNs and can't find anything to confirm it.

However, my info came direct from an AFCO, so if they're doing it (perhaps using JSP 545 pt1 until the AP and QR are amended) then surely they've been told and have it in writing somewhere? They can't just be doing it off their own backs, surely?
Just come out of a meeting with CASWO, nothing is in writing yet so don't pin your hopes on having a beard at any time in the near future, unless you're PVRing

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Further to my last post - just spoken to a mate who works in a different AFCO - they were all set for the tattoo regs to change and were waiting on official release, but have just been told to hold fire, reasons unknown.

4everAD

Sergeant
Just change your religion on jpa to Muslim, grow a beard. Last time i looked there isn't a test for being a Muslim!