• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Hipsters Inbound!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
In this, the 100th year of the RAF, I have just been briefed from a reliable source that the RAF policy regarding facial hair is being brought in line to match that of the Navy.

The proposal is you can grow a beard but it must be a 'full set', beard & moustache...no (e)goaties!

I hope they resurrect & update the old RAF haircut poster I remember from my younger days...

haircut.jpg

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Kind of makes sense in the 21st century equality across the services and all that. Hygiene standards are far higher than 100 years ago as are accommodation levels (cough maybe) and we are no longer the great unwashed masses. Short hair and no beard stems from ancient times of spears, swords and shields where long hair or a beard was just another handhold for your opponent to grab whilst stabbing your vitals. Interesting to see which direction our brown clad colleagues take.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Give it a year and there'll be people wandering around bases with ridiculous hipster beards and 'manbuns'. All Service personnel (including the ladies) should be shorn completely of hair to get that delightful 'convict' look. Worked for me :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Forgive me if I have this wrong, but I was always under the assumption that the reason you werent allowed to grow legitimate facial hair in either the RAF or the Army was because of the issues associated with fitting a gas mask to your face?

I'm sure I remember someone back at Swinditz saying that chemical weapons were a lot less effective in a maritime environment hence they were less likely to be used and henceforth matelots of both genders were encouraged to grow them...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
The majority of European armed forces allow beards.... but anyone with a hipster beard is a proper cnut.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Forgive me if I have this wrong, but I was always under the assumption that the reason you werent allowed to grow legitimate facial hair in either the RAF or the Army was because of the issues associated with fitting a gas mask to your face?

When I was at RAF Cottesmore and we were on our way to the gas chamber for the annual gas mask check, a Sikh SNCO peeled of and wandered off to the mess, on enquiring why, it was explained to me that having a full beard meant he was excused the gas chamber, on further questioning about going to war the rock Cpl explained that he would have declared that he would shave off the beard and have a gas mask fit check before deployment, one assumes going forward the same thing would apply under the new rules, don't know if this was rock bull****, or actually true.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Even the matelots of HM's Boating Society have to shave their faces (including the blokes) if they were ever to go in to action. Something to do with hairy fizogs and the fact that HM's little rowing boats turn in to instant barbecues when hit by a missile

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Grew a beard twice when in, once in a joint environment and I was asked for my chit all the time, then a few years laters on a RAF Station and I didn’t get asked once.

Both for medical reasons, no way I wanted any extra guar showing, so they disappeared as soon as they could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was always taught that beards were out because of the need to fit respirators. The navy were still allowed because if they were at sea under NBC conditions they would all be sealed inside their tin cans........ I have seen a sikh friend of mine (really nice guy) without a beard go into the gas chamber with a respirator and a mega long pony tail.....

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I can't wait to start growing a full set.

Firstly, it'll really upset ILLBW.

Secondly, it will thoroughly annow Mrs WB.

Thirdly, it will absolutely enrage anyone above FS, particularly in the Rupert ranks.

Finally, I can guarantee that it will have absolutely no detrimental effect on my career.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Any actual ‘gen’ on this?

Part of a new recruitment policy regarding tattoos, body piercings etc.

Appears to be a relaxation of the stuff that would normally preclude an individual from being accepted in the service.

RAF needs to get people in the door. Refusing someone on grounds of facial hair or tattoo on hand now seems a bit churlish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Get rid of berets and all head-dress except No1 HD - they serve no purpose, cost money and allow people to avoid going out on jobs because they've forgotten it.

A salute is a salute - you don't need a badly shaped bit of cloth on your head to perform it!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Get rid of berets and all head-dress except No1 HD - they serve no purpose, cost money and allow people to avoid going out on jobs because they've forgotten it.

A salute is a salute - you don't need a badly shaped bit of cloth on your head to perform it!

Ditch saluting while they are at it, doffing a hat is far too subservient in this day and age.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Bloody typical... I leave and they allow beards.

Mind you, I've been out for about six years now and I still have no sign of facial fluff.

HTB

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bloody typical... I leave and they allow beards.

Mind you, I've been out for about six years now and I still have no sign of facial fluff.

HTB

Off Topic HTB a beard on you would be an upside down head as there's probably still no sign of anything growing on top of your bonce Off Topic

Oh and welcome back:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Off Topic HTB a beard on you would be an upside down head as there's probably still no sign of anything growing on top of your bonce Off Topic

Oh and welcome back:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Thanks TB, I float through once in a while.

You're right about the hair thing... I once was stopped whilst out running and asked if my legs were made of UPVC! :pDT_Xtremez_31::pDT_Xtremez_31:

P.S.... Might see you soon. 😉