• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Hipsters Inbound!

rocket scientist

Sergeant
"RAF needs to get people in the door"

Do they? When my steplad decided he wanted to stack blankets they put every barrier they could find in the way and it took over a year for the process. By the sounds of it there were around several applicants for each position as opposed to when I joined up when you got in as long as you could prove you could walk, talk and weren't a complete mong.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
RAF Hipsters Inbound!

"RAF needs to get people in the door"

Do they? When my steplad decided he wanted to stack blankets they put every barrier they could find in the way and it took over a year for the process. By the sounds of it there were around several applicants for each position as opposed to when I joined up when you got in as long as you could prove you could walk, talk and weren't a complete mong.

Yes they do need to get people through the door but there are still standards to be met. Perhaps he took a bit of time to reach those standards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Yes they do need to get people through the door but there are still standards to be met. Perhaps he took a bit of time to reach those standards?
Oh, no doubt, I'm not advocating the dropping of standards but I'm sure he was told there are, on average, 7 applicants for every position they want to fill which suggests they have plenty of people knocking at the door in question.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Oh, no doubt, I'm not advocating the dropping of standards but I'm sure he was told there are, on average, 7 applicants for every position they want to fill which suggests they have plenty of people knocking at the door in question.

From what I understand it's less to do with standards and more to do with the ridiculous amount of red tape and the bizarre administration methods we use for recruiting. That, and the fact that half of the system is farmed out to civvies / civvy companies. Then you have to wait for Phase 2 training schools to tell Halton when they'll have gaps in their training pipeline, because Halton can't take them on to Phase 1 if there's no allocated slot in Phase 2.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
From what I understand it's less to do with standards and more to do with the ridiculous amount of red tape and the bizarre administration methods we use for recruiting.
I did think it was strange how he had to choose his trade and then take the aptitude test. Then if he failed to achieve the standard he could choose another trade and start the process again whereas I just sat the common aptitude test and they told me which trades I could do. I believe the Navy still do it the way we used to.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I did think it was strange how he had to choose his trade and then take the aptitude test. Then if he failed to achieve the standard he could choose another trade and start the process again whereas I just sat the common aptitude test and they told me which trades I could do. I believe the Navy still do it the way we used to.

Yeah it's quite weird how it's done now, from what I'm told. I was like you, didn't get to choose my trade until I'd sat the aptitude test (was allowed to have a preference, but that's about it). Medical etc wasn't done until after you'd done the AST because it saved money - no point giving someone a checkup if they couldn't pass the aptitude test.

These days - and I should stress that this is only hearsay - most stuff is done online and by civvies before the AFCOs even get involved; they take over for the interview process, etc, and it's only after all that is done (ie they have a confirmed possible entrant) that Phase 1 and 2 are approached to check for the next available space.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
So, I've just been told that full beards will be allowed as of September (apparently it's being briefed at Halton). Still technically RUMINT, as I can't find the official announcement (may appear tomorrow).

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
So, I've just been told that full beards will be allowed as of September (apparently it's being briefed at Halton). Still technically RUMINT, as I can't find the official announcement (may appear tomorrow).

I left the RAF almost 2 years ago. Can I grow a beard now and backdate it?:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That'll solve retention problems.

And in over 3 years in AFCOs never once did the lack of beard growing freedom get mentioned by a single applicant I met.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
That'll solve retention problems.

And in over 3 years in AFCOs never once did the lack of beard growing freedom get mentioned by a single applicant I met.

I've not heard anyone mentioning it as a blocker either (got a few friends in AFCOs and I help out with R&S), but from what I'm told 'having to shave daily' is the number one reason people don't sign up.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I've not heard anyone mentioning it as a blocker either (got a few friends in AFCOs and I help out with R&S), but from what I'm told 'having to shave daily' is the number one reason people don't sign up.

How long does it take to have s shave in the morning? Wet or with an electric shaver,5 minutes or so. I put it down to laziness.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
How long does it take to have s shave in the morning? Wet or with an electric shaver,5 minutes or so. I put it down to laziness.

Quite probably, though with the millennial generation it may well also be because they don't like being told what they can or can't do.

Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I was under the impression (heard it somewhere) that someone in the Navy can't just choose to grow a beard. Rather they had to seek permission to "cease shaving". And in the same vain had again to get permission to resume. Will the RAF be the same I muse?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I was under the impression (heard it somewhere) that someone in the Navy can't just choose to grow a beard. Rather they had to seek permission to "cease shaving". And in the same vain had again to get permission to resume. Will the RAF be the same I muse?

From what I've been told our rules (ie the ones for growing a 'tache) won't change, they'll just be extended to cover a full beard too. So your WO / LM will still inspect your chops after 21 days to check that your 'beard' is actually a potential beard and not a collection of bumfluff, and if it's deemed good enough you get more time to develop a full beard and can keep it, if not you'll be ordered to shave.

Suffice to say not everyone in the RAF will be able to sport one.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I'm not sure 'lady beards' will be covered by this new regulation somehow....:pDT_Xtremez_35:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How long before servicemen will be able to identify on their records as 'gender neutral'?

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
1* chat at Sleaford Tech today.

New beard policy in front of AFB in September.

New tattoo policy been passed and out next month.

Booked in for a swallow on my neck next week 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk