• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Couples

Hi there,

If both yourself and your partner are in the RAF, can you apply to be posted to the same base? I know you have to be prepared to go wherever the service needs you to, but I wondered if the RAF made any allowances for serving couples.

Thanks.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes you can apply for co-location but service needs come first.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Manning try their best to accommodate you, depends on your trades and slots available at the time. I've been posted with my Mrs for 9 years but we've been fortunate because our Sqns keep shutting down or moving

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Worked with a couple married couples in my day,most were on the same station but I remember one lad I worked with at Kinloss & his wife,(different trade) had to take a posting at Lossie.

when my husband was still serving, I was in Scotland and he at Brize - "collocation doesn't exists anymore" the lovely drafters said. Imagine my surprise when I got to HQ Air a year later (hubby was posted to Wattisham at this point), to find two people on collocation! Was one of them a drafter? YUP!! Needless to say, hubby left the RAF pretty soon after and here I am - Pension Trapped!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When it was applicable I always managed to get us co-located...I think you are on the unlucky list if you don't manage to get somewhere together or at least close...there is always the service needs excuse available to not do it but they will know that they'll get more out of you if you are happy than not especially over an extended period...

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Odd isn't it; An amazing success rate for locating couples, yet locating one person where they want to go seems to be like pulling teeth?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
When collocating service couples drafters would often off the hard to fill places knowing being together was more important than location. It would be rare to be colocated at one of the sought after camps, trade dependant.

Of course there's always the exemption that proves the rule but by and large that how they worked.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
They try....a bit.
I was a little perturbed when I got Macrahanish and she got Cyprus. They said tough but then bungled a diagnosis ( said she had cancer, they were wrong) .
Both then went to Northolt and PVRd, they then urge to send me to the Falklands!
Caring, sharing!