• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PVR Notice period change

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I once saw an interesting documentary on the Army. At the time they had the same problem of a long PVR time and having to buy your way out. So one common loophole soldiers did to get out quick was fail the drugs test.

That's ok for getting out but what about getting a job. If the employers asks for references then who would they ask.

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
That's ok for getting out but what about getting a job. If the employers asks for references then who would they ask.

Yes I know, ask the soldiers not me. Maybe they don't care as long as they get out? It just goes to show how far some people are willing to go in order to leave.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
ok my wording with regards to European law was not meant to sound like that. I was pretty sure in the past people have challenged the PVR time and got a release of contract of 30 days (this was many years back mind you) And they used the European working rules directive. Again it was years back and they have probably made that clause watertight now. But i just mentioend it rather than getting shot down in flames.

I have also heard the same stories many times, but I'm afraid they're all BS. The story may have had an element of truth in it but over the years it's grown arms and legs, with extra bits added on (Eg. European Court, Employment law etc) for good measure to give it some weight. Recently with PVR notice times of 6 months guys could be out of work in about a month or so, hence the truth part. But giving 30 days notice and walking out the gate is not a legal right, indeed why would there be a need, since there is normally some leave + resettlement + terminal leave to take.

I agree with the points raised here which give a measured response (pomdown-under explains it well) There are many special laws which provide unique working rules for employers (eg police and prison officers can't strike) HM Forces are no different. Another example is notice periods, even Civvy employers can extend the notice period well beyond 30 days if there is a reasonable need to do so. Bonding agreements are another legally enforceable condition, whether employers choose to proceed is another matter but they are enforceable in law.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
me

me

My civvie contract tells me I have to give me 6 weeks they can give me a weeks notice!!!!!
Scared me at first but it appears fully legal.

Treehugger

Corporal
Hope it's not gen, I'm just on the verge of smashing out... to have to wait a year would be a nightmare scenario!!!

shettie

Flight Sergeant
In 2000/01 I would have considered 12 months a gift - it was 18 months when I PVR'd (with a job to go to that I lost...) and I had completed 25 years... They wondered why I was really p1ssed off to be dis-established and posted...

Fairynuff31

Corporal
I once saw an interesting documentary on the Army. At the time they had the same problem of a long PVR time and having to buy your way out. So one common loophole soldiers did to get out quick was fail the drugs test.

Alternatively, there is always 'coming out as a Chutney Ferreting Gayer' or dressing in womans clothes - ala Private Klinger off of M*A*S*H...

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Alternatively, there is always 'coming out as a Chutney Ferreting Gayer' or dressing in womans clothes - ala Private Klinger off of M*A*S*H...

More likely to get you promoted than booted out these days...:pDT_Xtremez_31:

T

The Masked Geek

Hope it's not gen, I'm just on the verge of smashing out... to have to wait a year would be a nightmare scenario!!!

I'd smash out now before they send you on a 4 month holiday just before you plan to leave......
:pDT_Xtremez_14:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I'd smash out now before they send you on a 4 month holiday just before you plan to leave......
:pDT_Xtremez_14:

When I pressed the button they offered me the 4 month holiday (because they really cared!) with just 6 months left to serve. I tactfully managed to decline their very generous offer.

J Y Kelly

Corporal
Has anyone else heard the rumour that PMA are going to extend the PVR notice period from 6 months to 12 for certain trades as of 31 March 13 but they are trying to keep the lid on it so as to try and prevent an even bigger exodus before then?

Now 12 Months for FOA

iainrm

Corporal
flexible maybe!!

flexible maybe!!

A long time age when the norm was 18 monthsA noted D..Head threatened to pvr if posted, was told come back after lunch and you can clear.he accepted the posting....