• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

proposed leuchars closure

fritz

LAC
got an email from 43 sqd association member asking to sign up and support the local MP to keep leuchars open,as rumours are strong that the station could be closed due to cut backs.anyone else been contacted or has heard of the proposed closure

Last edited:
it said on the news it was being considered as the economy around Lossiemouth is more dependant on defence spending than the economy around Leuchars. So they may be thinking of closing leuchars to save lossie and its local economy. But it also said in the news that Leuchars has recently had £40m spent on upgrading the runway for typhoons.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
it said on the news it was being considered as the economy around Lossiemouth is more dependant on defence spending than the economy around Leuchars. So they may be thinking of closing leuchars to save lossie and its local economy. But it also said in the news that Leuchars has recently had £40m spent on upgrading the runway for typhoons.

Or an airline?:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Doglover

LAC
As stated, the money has already been spent so it does not matter any more !!! Spent little or nothing on the rest of the camp, oh sorry, squippers had some modifications. Makes sense to close Leuchars, fire some Typhoons up to Lossie, Sqn boys will still not have fully unpacked yet.

M

Mickwreay

Simple answer:-

Close Leuchars & then all the man power reductions will come from those in the Fife Air force who will not want to move.

There will be a lot of crying going on there just now LOL

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Simple answer:-

Close Leuchars & then all the man power reductions will come from those in the Fife Air force who will not want to move.

There will be a lot of crying going on there just now LOL

Why stop at Leuchars?
Shut RAF Scotland, that must be close to the magical number of 5000 to be cut.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Or the numbers at Cottesmore & Kinloss.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Apart from the fact that the Cottesmore figuers were already counted in the earlier PR10 reduction - this reduction is in addition to the figure mentioned in the SDSR announcement. Hence how you get from 40k now to 33.5k in 2015.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Has anyone at either camp been given a date to expect a decision? I only ask because I was posted into Leuchars in September but I haven't actually moved there yet as I'm on DWR. If a decision is made it's closing before 1st of Feb I want to try and stay where I am for welfare reasons.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
The PR10 reduction was just to move out of cott to witt. They are both shafted now they have scrapped th Harrier in the SDR, everyone keeps banging on about poor northern scotland, cott and witt are the same as lossie and kinloss, about 10 miles apart. I dont see them closing marham which is a crap hole in the middle of nowhere and too embarrassing to be signposted to support the economy in Rutland.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The PR10 reduction was just to move out of cott to witt. They are both shafted now they have scrapped th Harrier in the SDR, everyone keeps banging on about poor northern scotland, cott and witt are the same as lossie and kinloss, about 10 miles apart. I dont see them closing marham which is a crap hole in the middle of nowhere and too embarrassing to be signposted to support the economy in Rutland.

I'll wager that Cott & Witt don't contribute 25% to the local economy.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I take your wager, as Cott is the biggest employer in Rutland, not only that, there are several hundred ex-raf that work for Bae at cott that live locally in Oakham and Stamford which have just got the boot. Anyway, people moved to that area of Scotland because of the base, its a risk they took. I appreciate there is sod all else for them in that area but they will have to move where the work is like the rest of us that have had to be posted.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I take your wager, as Cott is the biggest employer in Rutland, not only that, there are several hundred ex-raf that work for Bae at cott that live locally in Oakham and Stamford which have just got the boot. Anyway, people moved to that area of Scotland because of the base, its a risk they took. I appreciate there is sod all else for them in that area but they will have to move where the work is like the rest of us that have had to be posted.

Is there any proof of that?

Hardly the same for civvies who don't expect to get 'posted' as we do.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
That's 4 days after I take on my new quarter, looks like I'm still Leuchars bound.

p.s. I'm proper bad news when it comes to camp closures, don't hold out too much hope, death follows me.:pDT_Xtremez_34:

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
That's 4 days after I take on my new quarter, looks like I'm still Leuchars bound.

p.s. I'm proper bad news when it comes to camp closures, don't hold out too much hope, death follows me.:pDT_Xtremez_34:

Yeah I tend to have the touch of death wherever I go too. Mind you I went from a spell of closing 4 places in 3 years to 3 years clean. Damn. Probably just jinxed it...

beowulf

Sergeant
I was on station at the weekend and was told that it has been pushed back to the summer.

I think someone looked at the calendar and realized that they should not be making those announcements before the scottish elections if they valued their hides.

Cureton

LAC
If any announcement is made it would have to be before the 22nd March, this is due to the elections, evidently no decisons that affect the economical and geographical footprint of the country can be made after that date. So any announcements would have to wait until after the Scottish Elections.