• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Premier Mountain Site?

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
MP - you forget the poor AFs that also made up half of the techies shift on Kent! Not just Jaf's keeping you awake in the anvil!

Half of the Techies shift on Kent were AF ???? Most definitely half on Byron and Alice in the old days because of the Type 94 Radar (it was counted as an Airfield radar for reasons, I won’t go into). As for Kent, No T94 on that hill.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Half of the Techies shift on Kent were AF ???? Most definitely half on Byron and Alice in the old days because of the Type 94 Radar (it was counted as an Airfield radar for reasons, I won’t go into). As for Kent, No T94 on that hill.

The shift when I was there was one JAFAD and one of gods chosen AF's - Marconi S600 - 2 radomes - radar in one volleyball/badminton court in the other! Leaky Comms Cabin and scopies who used to kip in the Anvil! - wouldn't know a '94 if it bit me! :)

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
A very leaky s259 - I was stood in it up to my ankles in water one morning - scared the sh1te outta me - thing was blasting out - arcing and sparking from all over the cabin - scary sh1t!

AKA Type 95, (S600 was also known as the Type 97). Type 94 you most like know as the AR-3D, which you should have seen as it was based in a car park at Locking for at least the 12 years up to 1999 when the place shut. T95 did live in the second dome at Kent before it moved to PPQ.

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
AH BORROX ! My editing is crap today ... sorry ...

AH BORROX ! My editing is crap today ... sorry ...

Ooooh ! glad I did that delete and searched ... would`ve had Tashy Man on my case.
Found the thread about 144SU.

And the entries about the Unst Bastrd ... Ah Bic you crazy swampy.

"Thacker the Hut" (the person concerned did take it well and think it was funny)

"The C00k hunters of olde Norwick town"

sorry ... slightly Off Topic

Last edited:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
And the entries about the Unst Bastrd ... Ah Bick you crazy swampy.

"Thacker the Hut" (the person concerned did take it well and think it was funny)

"The C0ck hunters of olde Norwick town"

and didn`t he do one, " the adventures of Tony the Pony" ?

Anyone still got any they could photocopy ... I`ll pay :pDT_Xtremez_06:

sorry ... slightly Off Topic

Likewise, though I did have a copy of both until some fcuker cleaned out a baggage room for a Bull nite and binned the box of mine that they were in.

"The C0ck hunters of olde Norwick town" = The one with the wifes

"The adventures of Tony the Pony" = A number of in fact, guess what his FS's first name was.

One I do remember was Bigfella's course mate with the peanut shaped head, who got himself in one of them for not replying to a number of shouts for a phone call. Last line.... “Some guy called Gorbachev called to say your a Cnut”.

T

the missing link

On Byron In 87, seem to recall the medic getting his finger end chopped off on the door to the TV room while we were just about to watch South Pacific for the hundreth time, i certainly washed that place right out of my hair !!

S

scopedope

S259

S259

Surely ALBERTROSS Ajax Bay, having to climb from Meat Plant just to go on watch. Largest compo store on FI. Food cooked on field kitchen,resup by Mexiflote, great days. Obviously before a lot of your times.

G

Gundulph

True, However I would rather do the rat race at MPA next time around having done both West Falklands sites, though any Falklands DWR is better than doing the sandpits where you get shot at (done a bit of both that is (time in a sandpit and getting shot at (the explosions being in NI), and cannot say that I enjoyed either). A mountain defined as a peak 1600 ft above sea level, Alice is a mountain (just), Byron Heights is almost 2000 feet at the peak, and Kent is just a big hill.

Bearing in mind, when Byron Heights was levelled by 11 Field Squadron, Royal Engineers in order for them to construct the Radar site, they actually explosively cut several metres in height from the Mountain's Summit, I think the cairn that was constructed a kilometre or so away on a small ridge represents the current highest part of the Mountain.

It's been a while since I was there, back in 86/87 when we constructed the concrete paths and other construction tasks on the Mountain, we had a brilliant time, gave the Infantry BlowPipe Teams a Fantastic send off and the RAF gave us a great last night before we left, we had a fancy dress night and we organised a series of 'interesting games' :pDT_Xtremez_30: which I believe, if you were there, you wouldn't easily forget! we were sung off the Mountain by the infamous Wocka-Wocka Song :)

For me that was the best Mountain, I was there again in 92 this time constructing the diesel flexible pipeline down to Whales Cove, and yes! it was us whose BV206 completely burnt out on the Waterfall route!

Good Days - "I think"! :pDT_Xtremez_21:

G

Gundulph

On Byron In 87, seem to recall the medic getting his finger end chopped off on the door to the TV room while we were just about to watch South Pacific for the hundreth time, i certainly washed that place right out of my hair !!

Just noticed your Post the_missing_link, that's just jogged my memory as I do believe I remember that! were you there when our section of Combat Engineers (Royal Engineers) were breaking our own rocks up and crushing them in the Rock Crusher in the Quarry in order to make the concrete for the paths? we had some awesome Gozzome nights in the Bar with the false Bog Door that alarmed if an FNG opened it (instant crate of Red or Green) and the telephone at the Bar was always rigged to the Bars Bell (another crateable offence!). You may remember us as I put a 2 foot picket through the main electric cable to the Dome, causing mass panic among the ranks :raf:...

I can still hear those barsteward Kara Kara Suicidal Birds of Prey in the Quarry, we were contantly under aerial bombardment from the little F*****s!

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
I think the cairn that was constructed a kilometre or so away on a small ridge represents the current highest part of the Mountain.

Called Storm Point, and it is indeed the summit.

we were sung off the Mountain by the infamous Wocka-Wocka Song :)

Sung to the song 'Goodnight Saigon' by Billy Joel. They stopped doing it after the tape broke from what I was told.

G

Gundulph

Called Storm Point, and it is indeed the summit.

Sung to the song 'Goodnight Saigon' by Billy Joel. They stopped doing it after the tape broke from what I was told.

Storm Point! that's the one!!! well remembered MAINJAFAD... I remember that being our PT Session while we were up there, to the Point and back. Were you up there when the ISO full of Ammo blew off the Mountain Top?!

The nights were great on the Mountain, the "Byron Boys Are On The **** Again, On The Pis Again bla bla bla" :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Good Times