• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pension increase 2021

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
You will recall that your Service pensions used to rise by RPI and that was change in 2010 to the normally lower CPI. It is, as busy19.71 says, written into law but laws change. We need to find out what the Chancellor says on 31st

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You will recall that your Service pensions used to rise by RPI and that was change in 2010 to the normally lower CPI. It is, as busy19.71 says, written into law but laws change. We need to find out what the Chancellor says on 31st
Which chancellor will that be? Current, next or the one after?😭😭

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Laws can change, but not quickly. I doubt this would be a priority for any government as it affects retired nurses and CS who are not well paid.
It would be a gamble, and other ongoing legislation would have to slip. Labour oppose everything, and many Tories are now in the position they have to defect or lose their seat.
More entertaining than Dallas in the 70/80s.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
So, Triple Lock is confirmed, and nothing I’ve seen suggests we’re not getting CPI next April:
Anyone seen anything?

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
10.1% rise next April is good news and compensates for my measly 3% rise from my day job.

Ironic that in cash terms, I get a larger amount for doing SFA than I do for busting my ass every day.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Maybe you need a different pimp ???
Definately. My pimp is HM Govt.

Speaking with my team of Admin Officers about this just yesterday. In 2015, their hourly rate was £10.36 and National Minimum Wage was £6.70. Come next April, their hourly rate will be £11.61, and NMW £10.42. They have had to learn new operating platforms, increased complexity of casework, whilst a shelf in a supermarket has remained constant in terms of being filled when it needs to be. Their "reward" is to see their wage eroded to the point where one more inflation busting rise in NMW versus a public sector pay freeze will pretty much put them on NMW. And this is not the lowest grade - we already have a Administrative Assistants who are paid less than my AOs.

Is it any wonder people are leaving for jobs filling shelves in supermarkets in the evening, which pay NMW, plus an enhancement for working unsocial hours - one left not so long ago for £12.50 an hour working evenings in a supermarket.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Bit off topic that, and shows the impact the nasty Tories have had on brining up the lowest levels of salaries at a faster raising rate than general salaries, there was always going to be the concertina effect and probably why it’s been calmed down this year.

Back on topic the pension of a full time civil servant will be much better than that of the typical supermarket worker on a 16 hour contract with a much lower level of contribution, with little chance of the pension scheme going under. But that doesn’t feed the family today and some people are short sighted.

We had a young lad leave at the end of August for a better job, as a contractor with one of our competitors, lots of money and other promises made, came back last week, same job and salary but now with a break in service, lower levels of holiday, no bonus for 12 months and a few other demerits.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
We had a young lad leave at the end of August for a better job, as a contractor with one of our competitors, lots of money and other promises made, came back last week, same job and salary but now with a break in service, lower levels of holiday, no bonus for 12 months and a few other demerits.
One of my lot left a few weeks ago (Civil Service to Contracting) and put me in a tight spot but hey ho. Despite all that I still did what I could for him, making sure he got a fair report, all leave taken etc for that clean break. Tried to get it across to him that he's now a little fish in a big pond and they will have their pound of flesh. He was a bit of a liability and had a long way to go before he could be called halfway decent in the Civil Service so although I wouldn't wish it on him, I think he's going to be chewed up and spat out.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

To paraphrase - Capitalist employee tries to sh!t on capitalist employer only for capitalist employer to have last laugh by screwing over capitalist employee by re-hiring them on worse T&C?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
More, good employee with money issues thought they had a solution, made an ooops, and managed to rejoin previous good employer.

Same T&Cs just a need to restart his time served benefits, and whilst the company has been around for nearly a couple of centuries, that break in service will carry the most pain if they are ever made to leave.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This uplift at 55 that everyone talks about....does that only happen if you commute?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This uplift at 55 that everyone talks about....does that only happen if you commute?
Vauxhall (and others) may have a better answer.
The pension rises at 55 in potentially two ways.
Firstly an increase at 55 using the annual inflation rate rise from the year you left to age 55 whether you commute or not.
Secondly if you commuted a chunk of dosh then your pension with rise to the level it would have been if you hadn't commuted a bean.
The two added together can be quite a jump for some

foxOneFive

Corporal
Was on the 75 scheme. Left 2004 at age 40 after 22 years, commuted the lot. Age 55 pension increase was 79%, was surprised it was that much

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Yes, but the rise isn’t as big because you didn’t commute, three more years to push before I see the benefit of the recent inflation, just pleased it came along towards the end.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So if I don't commute there is a rise as well?
Yes. Assuming (for easy sums) you left at age 45 then for the next ten years your pension would remain unchanged. Upon reaching 55 it would rise by the September rate of inflation for each of the previous ten years and at a compound rate. Depending on how the inflation rate has fluctuated over the decade it could be quite a jump. For example 2018 was 2.4% increase, 2020 only 0.5% increase and this September it was a big 10.1% and it rises each April once you're past the magic 55.