• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pension increase 2021

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong? I think the state pension for a single is just short of £160 a month?
This Gov website says the full new State Pension is £179.60 per week.

Hot Shoes

Corporal
This Gov website says the full new State Pension is £179.60 per week.

That's only if you have enough qualifying years. If you have been contracted out of the NI pension scheme you may not get the full amount. Anyone who has had a long military career or worked for the civil service was contracted out until a few years back. You can check on the government website how much you will get; currently if I were to give up work now I would receive circa £160 at pension age, work another 3 years and I will get the £179. I am in my early 50s so another 3 years is not a problem.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
That's only if you have enough qualifying years. If you have been contracted out of the NI pension scheme you may not get the full amount. Anyone who has had a long military career or worked for the civil service was contracted out until a few years back. You can check on the government website how much you will get; currently if I were to give up work now I would receive circa £160 at pension age, work another 3 years and I will get the £179. I am in my early 50s so another 3 years is not a problem.
That's exactly the position I am in - RAF & MOD CS so I was contracted out from the start of my service (I joined before I was 17) until the scheme ended. At 62, I still have to work another 3 years or so to pay enough NI to be entitled to the full state pension. If I had been on the dole all that time I would have been credited full contributions for enough years already to be entitled to a full state pension at state pension age...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Looks like Rishi is about to break one of the pre-election bribes to the OAPs.

Perhaps he will sell it in a way that doesnt say "We've bankrupted the country and trashed the economy over the last year so you lot can continue to draw your state pension, so be grateful for a 1% rise you old gits"

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I think the Conservatives (will and should), be VERY wary about angering the silver vote...
There is an obvious balance to be had in our current economic state.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think the Conservatives (will and should), be VERY wary about angering the silver vote...
That is one of the conundrums.. the young tend to be noisy & visible at protests to make their demands & feelings heard but often don't vote. The silver generation tend to be less noisy & visible but stick the knife in at elections.....

Captain Kirk

Corporal

Looks like Rishi is about to break one of the pre-election bribes to the OAPs.

Perhaps he will sell it in a way that doesnt say "We've bankrupted the country and trashed the economy over the last year so you lot can continue to draw your state pension, so be grateful for a 1% rise you old gits"
And so he should. The youngsters that were financially hit by Covid deserve better, seeing as they are paying the taxes.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
I think the grey haired will fear a Labour government next election more than losing a single raise of at least twice the inflation rate. The last time pay rises matched anywhere near that rate was 1990, just before GW1. I may be the turkey voting for Xmas, but Brexit and Covid have skewed the table too much to believe in the Utopia the Conservative promised before they got hit with an unseen 33% of GDP bill.
Any pensioner expectant and 'entitled' to an 8% can think about their kids and grandkids that will pay forevermore for them to have their 'right' not to pay their bit towards the bill.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Any pensioner expectant and 'entitled' to an 8% can think about their kids and grandkids that will pay forevermore for them to have their 'right' not to pay their bit towards the bill.
Spending the kids inheritance, sounds like a plan:D

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Anyone keeping a watchful eye on the CPI rate in terms of the AFPS will note that the June 2021 figure has just been released today and sits at 2.5% ( that's up 0.4% on last month). This rate (CPI), is the rate used to determine (IF THE GOVT PERMIT), the annual increase in the AFP for the following April. It is however, determined from the Sep value (issued in Oct), so there is time for greater, or lesser variability...

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
A little dip announced today boys and girls, to the CPI Rate for July 2021.
This month, it's given as 2%, that's down 0.5% on last month's value.
Some previous years have also seen a similar 'dip' trend.
A few months to go to that all important release in October, lets see what 'Rishi's Recovery' brings...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
And just so we can feel angry about the change from RPI to CPI, it’s currently running at 3.8%

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I hit 55 early next year and should see an uplift from my lower commuted amount to the full amount, plus almost a decade of CPI rises. How close to my 55th birthday will I be informed as to how much my new monthly payment will be?

dctyke

Corporal
Basing the cpi on one month only can lead to manipulation, why not the average for the year. I don’t trust em, would be interested to see how sept has fared against other months in years past.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Basing the cpi on one month only can lead to manipulation, why not the average for the year. I don’t trust em, would be interested to see how sept has fared against other months in years past.
It’s a year on year not a month on month change, which balances everything out over time.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I hit 55 early next year and should see an uplift from my lower commuted amount to the full amount, plus almost a decade of CPI rises. How close to my 55th birthday will I be informed as to how much my new monthly payment will be?
It was a while back for me, but from memory quite close perhaps only a month before the increase.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Available via google UK CPI rate ons (Office of National Statistics)