• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Payroll hack

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If true it appears the Chinese have hacked into the armed forces pay system. Statement later today.

"The government suspects China was behind the hack of an armed forces payroll system, the BBC understands. Defence Secretary Grant Shapps will not identify a specific culprit when he addresses MPs today, but is expected to warn of the dangers posed by cyber espionage from hostile states. The system used by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) includes names and bank details of armed forces personnel. In a very small number of cases, the data may include personal addresses. The system was managed by an external contractor."

Donkey871

LAC
The Guaridion is reporting
"Forces pay is handled by SSCL, a subsidiary of the Paris-headquartered Sopra Steria. SSCL’s website says it provides core payroll, HR and pension services for 230,000 military personnel and reservists and 2 million veterans."
whilst others are saying that a letter has been sent to serving personnel. Any serving members able to confirm the company involved?

AL1
"Defence Secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed the name of the contractor running the Ministry of Defence's payroll system that was hacked by China.

Mr Shapps told parliament that SSCL (Shared Services Connected Ltd) is the contractor and their work is being reviewed across government following the cyber attack..."

Last edited:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
2 Million?

The letter I received stated a 'small number' of Veterans are involved. 🙄

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Is this a band wagon anyone can jump on.
Not sure it’s a good band wagon now. Seen a few bits that makes you wary.
What if the firm that’s come forward is not exactly kosha? It’s not beyond the wit of man that there’s something to be made out of angry and emotional people that want compo. If they didn’t get the data first time….

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not wrong, scammers watch out for hot news topics and play their games, people get blinded by a bit of free cash and inadvertently give away that little bit of extra data that lets them in.

It’s not stupid to be scammed like this, they know what they’re doing.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Ok, a little more meat on the bone.
Some of you will have received a second letter today. You know this letter because it will be addressed to Mr/ Mrs etc then the first letter of your surname.
The letter inside will be addressed to ‘Dear Member of the Armed Forces Family’. And is different from your previous letter from the weekend.
If this is you, start getting interested as it is likely the closest you are going to get to an admission. None of my 30 or so blue suit mates have had this letter today.
Serving members have been offered free Equifax to monitor their names, veterans have not, yet it would appear that it’s veterans (non JPA) that are in the firing line.
Get asking around, addresses were held on the compromised system.
Anyone else had this letter?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I received my first letter today.....

Addressed as per the above, should I have got another?

Captain Kirk

Corporal
Not sure. I got first one a few days ago, to me, full name and address. . It started Dear Member of the Armed Forces . I’ve been out 3 years..
Today’s is addressed to Dear Member of the Armed Forces Family… but change of words .
Para 3 is now about being ‘potentially one of a small number of veterans who may be affected…’.
The whole tone is different.
The 24 questions are the same on both letters.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The announcement of this data leak coincides with a flurry of spam WhatsApp messages hitting my phone. I've never experienced this with WhatsApp before but it may be just a coincidence.

If a letter drops at my house, I'll mention it.

Dazzy26

Corporal
So my letter states 'you are potentially one of a small number of veterans who may be affected' It seems to be more than a small number! I've only been out a month and not received any payment since leaving. It then also says I may be effected if I received an expense claim since 2018..... Is that not a lot of people??