• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pay Rise Thoughts?

4everAD

Sergeant
FT saying Government will accept average 5% across public sector, better than I was expecting but still another 4-5% pay cut against inflation.
I'd love to know what my pay would be now if I'd had exact inflation rises since 2008?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
FT saying Government will accept average 5% across public sector, better than I was expecting but still another 4-5% pay cut against inflation.
I'd love to know what my pay would be now if I'd had exact inflation rises since 2008?
Here you go, only CPI though.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
8% rise on my not so rockstar regional LAE wages. Then again I earn way more than I ever did in the mob with my third. Shame the job I lost due to Covid is up again and I am not in the place to call contract rights. 65K. Such is life.
Gotta love people that come on here at 0300 boasting about pay, and the fact they got their ‘third’, doesn’t show that you miss it, and that you were part of something pretty special; it smacks a bit of loneliness or smugness.
Why not have a think about those left in keeping you safe so that you can earn the big bucks. Or you could just be smug!
FWIW, I’ve heard 2.5% for those in; the source can be an arse but they gain nothing from making things up. I sincerely hope that those left in are better rewarded, but Tories don’t like to pay for overheads, and they have the perfect excuse this year.
There are some

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Just had a £12k Payrise as my Promotion aligned perfectly with the recent pay restructure to stop folk flip flopping between DE&S and MOD Main.

I don't miss the Uniform one iota.

Gotta love people that come on here at 0300 boasting about pay, and the fact they got their ‘third’, doesn’t show that you miss it, and that you were part of something pretty special; it smacks a bit of loneliness or smugness.
Why not have a think about those left in keeping you safe so that you can earn the big bucks. Or you could just be smug!
FWIW, I’ve heard 2.5% for those in; the source can be an arse but they gain nothing from making things up. I sincerely hope that those left in are better rewarded, but Tories don’t like to pay for overheads, and they have the perfect excuse this year.
There are some
There are so many people like you about in the mob. Talk the talk.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
There are so many people like you about in the mob. Talk the talk.
It’s obviously escaped you, I have left the ’mob’! I don’t boast about anything, and I know where I’ve come from, within the ‘mob’.
If your complete pinnacle was your ‘third’, I don’t see why you are behaving so poorly?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Some people just like to pick holes, happiest when they are making things miserable for others.

Most people on here have left, some, perhaps those with a shorter career, tend to do well for themselves and earn more than they did when in, others, maybe those with a bit more time served and a bigger pension, might have chosen to take a step back or down the career ladder but still take home about the same or they may have been able to have paid off debts and earn a little less, happy with their current lifestyle.

It’s their choice and it’s normally what they want to do, a service life is an excellent bedrock of training, skills and experience that are very useful on the other side and it is this and a relatively good jobs market that keeps this choice alive, most people are generally doing ok, especially if you did well out of The 75 or 05 pensions.

So it’s probably best just to ignore the ***** who like to flash their numbers or position around, acting as if this is the most important thing in life, it’s not, at the end of the day I’d rather be surrounded by content happy people whatever their income rather than a bunch of angry over paid gits.

Good luck with getting 5%, it’s the same number that’s being banded around at my current company, although they are thinking about making a one off non-consolidated payment to recognise all the cost of living shit that’s happening out there.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Interesting that they quote a large reduction in ETs in the report.

Do you have figures available for ET's?

Anecdotally, I'm hearing different murmurs from a secret large transport base near Carterton which suggest otherwise.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Do you have figures available for ET's?

Anecdotally, I'm hearing different murmurs from a secret large transport base near Carterton which suggest otherwise.
I don't TW but like, you, I would query that information given current info from that very location. I guess it was based on pre Apr 22 figures and not current rates, esp now post C19 opportunities have seen plenty of highly paid skilled jobs becoming available.

4everAD

Sergeant
We've been undersold by the AFPRB, all figures based on those around the turn of the year, the government must have had a good laugh when they saw that pay recommendation compared to the other pay review bodies! Civil servants must be having heart attacks when they were offered 2% and the rest of the public sector are getting 3.75-9%, major industrial action on the horizon.

4everAD

Sergeant
As for ETs they are only going to increase thanks to this. One of my AS1(T)'s (is that even the right way to abbreviate that?) Has just been offered FS wage to join industry untrained, he won't be the only one that jumps when civvy Street is desperate to fill gaps.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Just had a £12k Payrise as my Promotion aligned perfectly with the recent pay restructure to stop folk flip flopping between DE&S and MOD Main.

I don't miss the Uniform one iota.
I've fallen into that at the right time, too.

In January I switched, on promotion, from DE&S to SDA. With the new pay settlement, come April next year I'll be earning £14k more than I was at the start of this year.

Sounds amazing. It isn't. It only puts me back to the same pay that I was getting when I left the mob, and that was almost five years ago.

Still actively looking for the right opportunity in the private sector...(y)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've fallen into that at the right time, too.

In January I switched, on promotion, from DE&S to SDA. With the new pay settlement, come April next year I'll be earning £14k more than I was at the start of this year.

Sounds amazing. It isn't. It only puts me back to the same pay that I was getting when I left the mob, and that was almost five years ago.

Still actively looking for the right opportunity in the private sector...(y)

They've only got my loyalty for now as the job I am doing is really fulfilling and critical for our Nation's Defence, the lad is approaching his GCSE's and it's a nice area for us to settle in.

I'll start looking once the lad has gone to Uni / moved out and by then I'll have a MSc and the requisite safety delegations to hold CEng.

Sounds like you (as I was) have just been promoted from C2 to C1 (in old money)? So another £2k raise next year not including performance bonus. With 22yrs of AFPS75 I'm breaking Super Tax so feel like I'm doing ok.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It is about time that they got rid of these annual % pay rises and started using £s per week rises.

A Group Captains weekly shop will have increased by about the same amount as the youngest AS2 weekly shop.

A tub of Lurpak (seems to be the social media weekly shop example) is the same price for both so why should the Group Captain get such a differential in £ terms ?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A tub of Lurpak (seems to be the social media weekly shop example) is the same price for both so why should the Group Captain get such a differential in £ terms ?
My dear chap it's simple the low ranking bod will have gone to the supermarket himself, probably Tesco or ASDA. Whereas Group captain Mincing Nicely will have sent his man to Waitrose or Sainsbury's to collect the shopping. The extra cost of paying for menial staff is the obvious reason for the pay rise differential.

ERT

Corporal
Good news for Junior Ranks in 2023. I would expect a change in pay for everyone based upon this.

that the equivalent hourly rate of £9.47 for the most junior fully trained Other Rank exceeded the NLW of £8.91 in 2021 and was forecasted to do so again in 2022. However, MOD noted that the government’s manifesto commitment to increase the NLW to two thirds of median earnings by 2024 could place the NLW on a trajectory that would see it overtake the most junior military salary in 2023.

MOD explained that hourly rate for OR2-1 was calculated as average annual salary (core pay plus trade pay plus X-Factor), divided by days in the year and multiplied by 7 to give a weekly equivalent, then divided by the Tri-Service average number of hours worked per week as reported by junior ORs in the 2020 Continuous Working Pattern Survey.

We note and fully support MOD’s intention to abide by the spirit of the minimum wage legislation. We are also aware that the government has pledged to increase the NLW over the next two years. These increases could influence changes to the pay arrangements for Junior Ranks if pay is to remain competitive. We also note that any significant percentage pay increase for the lowest paid (if driven by changes to minimum wage legislation) would have implications for pay rates and pay differentials across the whole pay structure. Notwithstanding the outcome of the Haythornthwaite Review, we will watch this area with interest.

Has anyone read the Haythornthwaite Review

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Quite a risky calculation for NLW there, to be safe they should do the same calc with the lowest paid, not the average, its not the average person who takes you to court.